× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk ax5400 xr1000 bandwidth mbps capped pc gaming traffic wifi 6

grahamer
Aspirant

Nighthawk ax5400 xr1000 bandwidth mbps capped pc gaming traffic wifi 6

Netgear Nighthawk speed test comes back with ~980 mbps download speeds.  All devices LAN (Eth) or Wifi get normal download speeds when viewing media, downloading content, streaming etc.  When a game is played the router throttles/ caps gaming traffic, basically the speed drop exactly to .2 mbps speed.  Doesnt matter if its on wifi or wired.  ive tried everything disabled qos, opened ports, prioritized traffic, rebooted and cant seem to figure it out.  I havent checked to see if this is an issue with the xbox yet.  Just noticed on the  two PC's.  Has anyone experinced this issue yet? if so, you figure out a solution?

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk ax5400 xr1000 bandwidth mbps capped pc gaming traffic wifi 6

You might get better results in the forums for the XR series. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

what modem do you have? 

How do you know the speed is dropping in games? (how are you testing this speed)

Message 2 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you testing the speeds where you see it drop like this? What QoS settings were you using and how did you disable QoS exactly?
Message 3 of 12
grahamer
Aspirant

I tested with qos on and off. I prioritized traffic by device and application. Im monitoring the speed in the Network Monitor tab. Evrything works fine wired and wireless unless its game data traffic. Any device running gaming traffic only pc or console will get scaled back to .2mbps.
Message 4 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh I see. Gaming doesn't use a lot of bandwidth at all, it's not being throttled, that is just how much it is actually using, so it's all fine
Message 5 of 12
Chirx88
Aspirant

Hi! Might be something simmlair..

I am having XR1000, not in moddel list for some reason, but thing what i am expieriencing is, one of my TV`s after reboot couple h works good (TV TCL wifi n standart), then turn it off and come back after couple h and network speed is really terrible like 10kbits/s and can`t even use youtube or netflix, but internet speed is stable 400+mbit/s other devices works good and quick, instantly loads whatever you need.. After restarting again woorks good reaching spped of 35mbit/s, instantly loads everything, after couple h off same problems again...

Been using this device with previous asus ac router no problems, also with built in isp wifi no problem.. 

Tryed reseting to defult settings, messing around with other settings ends up at same problem at first works good then stops...
Any Ideas how to fix?

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 6 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Chirx88 when you turn it off is it still in standby mode or is it off fully? I suspect it will be because it was in standby mode that is why it happened
Message 7 of 12
Chirx88
Aspirant

Tv is in standby mode, but restarting TV doesn`t help.. Restarting router helps only.. 

I might writen that unclear.. 

Sorry not my native language

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 8 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you turn off the TV fully once you're done watching then turn it on again are the speeds fine? Also if you resetup the TV connection by using the menu on the TV i.e. just checking the status or doing a quick setup do speeds return?
Message 9 of 12
grahamer
Aspirant

Netgear 1100 modem (Docsis 3.1), Tried 2 different routers. Netgear Nighthawk xr1000 (Firmware 1.0.0.52) and Asus GT-AC5300.  Both routers show the same results. Windows 10 on two PC (one wired other wireless) and a xbox console.  All devices get scaled when playing multiplayer gaming.  Any other type of traffic such as media or download files run fine.  Ive tried QOS on and off, setting up traffic prioritzation.

Message 10 of 12
grahamer
Aspirant

Thats what i was thinking. I couldnt find anything on the web that show how much bandwidth is used in actual multiplayer games.  I assumed when p[aying there would be spikes depending on the situation.  My ping is fine most of the time, latency is fine and no packet loss.  It seemed that people were a couple of steps ahead of me once i bought my own gear (modem and router).  Can you confirm your bandwidth speeds in game? Thank you!

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@grahamer I don't play too often but 0.2Mbps is about right - gaming will very rarely go above 1Mbps and thats usually if you're hosting a game which you wouldn't be with the servers most games use
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7