× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk mesh compatible with Nighthawk cable modem?

Faceplant
Tutor

Nighthawk mesh compatible with Nighthawk cable modem?

I bought a AX1800 mesh router with two extenders, but decided to replace my cable modem and router with an AX2700. Befoe I return the mesh system, I wanted to find out if the extenders might work with the AX2700. I don't see any indication on the AX2700 that it would support a mesh system, but I have seen Nighthawk range extenders advertized that appear to work as standalone devices, so I though there might be a chance they would work, and I got the mesh system at a pretty good price.

I know I can set the modem into bridge mode and use them together, but I like having the combined modem and router.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: Nighthawk mesh compatible with Nighthawk cable modem?

Wanted to also add, if I were using a CAX30 with something like the MK63, I would leave the router functions enabled in the CAX30, and set the MK63 to AP mode. I would then set all of the devices to use the same SSID and password.

The mesh product will have the full set of roaming assists between its satellites, while the CAX30 will rely on 802.11k and some client directed roaming functions which while a little slower to make a switch, will still work reliably.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
Razor512
Prodigy

You will need to list the exact model, as it seems like you may be talking about the Netgear CAX30, which is a cable modem + router in one.

While it wont impact compatibility since you can easily use the modern mesh products from netgear, or really any other major brand of WiFi router. The thing that does get impacted is how you go about configuring everything to work.

For example, if your modem is the CAX30, and you do something like connect another router behind it and just run through the basic setup wizard, then while you will get online just fine, you will hinder many functions as you will be behind a double NAT.

In such a case the secondary router will have to either be placed in AP mode, or the modem will have to be put into a transparent bridge mode.

In those cases, priority should be given to the device with the most capabilities and fastest SOC, especially if you use VPN functions, as well as USB storage with the router.

Message 2 of 9
Razor512
Prodigy

Wanted to also add, if I were using a CAX30 with something like the MK63, I would leave the router functions enabled in the CAX30, and set the MK63 to AP mode. I would then set all of the devices to use the same SSID and password.

The mesh product will have the full set of roaming assists between its satellites, while the CAX30 will rely on 802.11k and some client directed roaming functions which while a little slower to make a switch, will still work reliably.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

a couple things. 

1. ax1800 and ax2700 are speeds not models. So we're not sure exactly what you have. 

2. there are mesh systems that have cable capabilities like the CBK750. Potentially you could return both and still have a mesh system and a cable modem. 

Message 4 of 9
Faceplant
Tutor

Thank you for the reply, and yes, I believe the modem/router is a CAX30. Looking in the same place on the mesh router, I believe that the actuall model number of the mesh router that I have is MK63.

FWIW, I just pulled some letters and numbers off the front of the boxes. The model number appears to only be on a sticker on the bottom of the box. 🙂

Looking at your second reply, I think that would work, so I will likely give that a try.

Message 5 of 9
Faceplant
Tutor

As for the CBK750. That does look nice, but I think it would end up costing more overall. That said, it would be a much cleaner (and I assume better in other ways) solution.

Does the CBK750 have updated firmeare over the CAX30? I'm really not impressed with the firmware on the CAX30. I just went though a complete re-configuration this morning due to not being able to edit or delete port forward settings, which, from what I could deduce, seems to be a common solution to that problem.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Its roughly the same interface. There tends to be very similar interfaces across product lines. 

You could always use the CAX30 and connect the MK system to it with the MK in access point mode. 

It'd be a cheaper option for you. 

Message 7 of 9
Faceplant
Tutor

It wasn't without a bit of pain, but I got it all configured, and it seems to be working. Thanks for the advice.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

glad to hear it!

Good luck!

What method of setup did you use on the 2 systems? 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7