× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk rax40 poor options

Andyros
Follower

Nighthawk rax40 poor options

Disappointed with this router.
Bought this router about a month ago. Internet speed performance are good. But available customizable options suck big time. To be fairly honest. This router should not even carry the nighthawk brand.

User interface suck.
If you want QoS this thing is horrible for it. There is no manual set up to it. So basically you have to hope that this router read your mind as to which device you want preference to. If you want to game it sucks for that. Because i can tell it gives priority to every device that its streaming over you gaming session, leading to connection issues. Or freezing.

If you want vpn stay away from this router . again not easy set up as other nighthawk or genie interfaces. It uses open vpn so basically you have to Create tunneling for each device. Instructions for the set up are horrible. If you are not an it expert.
No Support to various big famous vpn services.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Andyros wrote:
To be fairly honest. This router should not even carry the nighthawk brand.

Well, most of these consumer routers are built on specs from the early 1990ties. Beyond, features are just pointually added...

@Andyros wrote:
User interface suck.
If you want QoS this thing is horrible for it. There is no manual set up to it.

AFAIK it lacks of the controls for low/mid/high pro in the attached devices, indeed.

@Andyros wrote:
If you want vpn stay away from this router . again not easy set up as other nighthawk or genie interfaces.  ...No Support to various big famous vpn services.

If "want VPN" is the ability to configure one of these hide-my-a** providers - whatever it's good for - or the ability to have a VPN link into another legislation to access protected/limited content (e.g. home... this feature is not available. Neither here on the basic Wi-Fi 6 RAX40 (And the special markets RAX35) nor on many other top-of-the-line Nightawk routers from the past, for example the X10/R9000.

@Andyros wrote:
It uses open vpn so basically you have to Create tunneling for each device. Instructions for the set up are horrible. If you are not an it expert.

The VPN feature in place is the classic availability for a secured calling-home VPN. No rocket science, works and confgures the same on all Nighthawk routers ever. No IT qualification required - however what is available is not for the above "want VPN" feature.

Yes, I'm with you - the consumer product management and feature specification is done more than careless. It's a mess. The absence of firmware quality control does perfectly fit.  

Wonder if Netgear does ever wake up @Christian_R ...

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R ... no word here again?

Message 3 of 6
bingo19
Apprentice

@schumaku wrote:

@Christian_R ... no word here again?

Hello,

Why would a moderator take the time to reply to customers angryness ? A moderator is paid to erase, delete posts, ban accounts. 

Even if the RAX are the worst routers I never bought before, everybody will eventually buy one base on Netgear's reputation. Netgear doesn't listen about the bad products it currently sells. And until we spread the world and shout louder than its adv, Netgear will continue provide 1990's products.

Message 4 of 6
AngelG
Guide

Fully agree about QoS mentioned by @Andyros

I wanted to migrate from R7800 to WiFi 6 and took one RAX40 because it is at the same price level, but will not migrate now and will stay with R7800. Automated QoS doesn't work for me too. I want to specify my own prioritization. Just don't know how it will work with home with lots of IoT devices. I have only some Arlo cameras here but also lots of tablets and smartphones are connected to my router. 

I even didnt checked the 4k video streaming but won't do it this time.

Looking at other RAX models manuals, the QoS is different for RAX120 and RAX200 where we can use the "Optimize Internet Streaming With QoS" menu. For RAX50 and RAX80 it is the same automated QoS feature.

So we just have to wait the prices to drop and take RAX120.

RAX40 is a compact, good looking router, easy to set up and manage. Other Nighthawk features and ReadyCloud/ReadyShare are working fine. I am sure it will find its market place.

Message 5 of 6
AngelG
Guide

I have to add something to my comment.

The QoS menu looks the same for both models - RAX40 and R7800.    (Firmware V1.0.2.62 at R7800)  and   (V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 at RAX40)

The difference is that we can set Device priority through Setup menu  Advanced -> Administration -> Attached Devices. With R7800 we have an option to click on Device and set priority - Low, Medium, High or Highest. With RAX40 we don't have this option.

Hope Netgear will add this option in one of next Firmware updates.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7