× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No 2.4 Ghz Signal - RAX120

eh12
Star

No 2.4 Ghz Signal - RAX120

So beginning to get to the end of my patience with this router, although it also doesn't help I've written this once and then accidently closed the page *sigh*

I can no longer seem to get a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi signal from the router, and I have basically changed every setting and also done factory reset of the router.

I didn't notice the issue till Saturday the 1st of February, when I noticed my Sonos system was offline. Investigating there were no devices connected with the 2.4G signal and using the Wi-Fi analyser app on Android my SSID was not showing up. Also the 5Ghz signal was now using a different channel than specified, and only set to a 20Mhz width, this was previously 80Mhz

So I started playing with the settings, first Enabling 20/40 Mhz Coexistence on the 2.4G band, and setting a specific channel for the system to use. No luck, then changing the mode to “Up to 573.5Mps (11ax, HT20, 1024-QAM)” and reverting from WPA2-Personal [AES] + WPA3-Personal to WPA-Personal TKIP + WPA2-Personal [AES], still nothing.

During this I had changed the 5 Ghz band back to a specific channel and at some point, it went back to operating at 80Mhz.

So I then I was getting desperate, and tried enabling OFDMA on both bands, then disabling them and the AX Wifi. Still nothing on the 2.4 G band, so I tried disabling Smart connect and splitting the networks, before enabling the Guest 2.4 G network, which also did not show up at all.

Finally Today (the 2nd) I went for a full on Factory reset, and the 2.4G band showed up again as “NETGEAR 76”. This was with Smart connect enabled and WPA2-Personal [AES} + WPA3-Personal, great I thought so I changed the name of the network back to what I had previously, and now its not showing up again!

So changed the channel checking for interference, and it showed up briefly for 2 minutes before disappearing.

Is there anyone that has any idea what this is, or do I have to RMA the router?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I had a similar issue with a XR500 That lost its 2.4 channels. After a reset they would reappear but for some strange reason as soon as I selected channel 11 I lost my 2.4 channels and I also noticed that the 2.4 when it was working was coming and going as the devices were dropping connection. 
I ended up on netgears support for an hour and they run through a reset which I had done multiple times already and in the end the unit was replaced free of charge as it was deemed to be faulty.

to be fair it was a pretty straightforward exchange, I opted to send mine back to them via registered post and within two days I had a nice new router.

Message 2 of 14
eh12
Star

Thanks for that, yeah I phoned support new router on the way.

Weirdly I on the call they asked me to change the channel to 11 and disable smart connect and the signal came back up, luckily I kept them on the phone long enough that it then dropped again otherwise I'd have been phoning up again.

Tho I've paid the delivery charge to have a new one shipped out before I have to return the old one as didn't want to be without network!
Message 3 of 14
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Touch wood once you get the new router you will be back up and running. These things happen sadly.

when my XR went belly up I took the moment to get the RAX120 but I've also got several older Apple routers if needed but I do like the RAX120, it's been very stable and has better coverage than the XR which is understandable as it's a more modern router in all ways.

Message 4 of 14
fraserd
Tutor

I have had the RAX120 for a few days over 1 year now with no issues and now developed the same issue of a missing 2.4G signal which has broke my Hive ecosystem.  Contaced support and they have said as outside warranty I would need to pay for extended support before being passed to the tech support team who would be able to help me fix the issue.  She mentioned on the call that they are getting a large number of call around this issue and so I dont feel happy to spend another £100 to get a fix for a product that cost over £350 and is barely 1 year old!  Sounds like this is a common issue and a known issue and IMO they should be addressing this issue with customers at no cost... come on Netgear, do the right things for your loyal customers...

Message 5 of 14
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

intake it you have tried a full reset using the rear pin hole method?

if it's under warranty log in to mynetgear, click contact us and RMA the unit. 

Message 6 of 14
fraserd
Tutor

Thanks and appreciate you taking the time to ask.  Apologies as I meant to say yes I have tried a full reset (several times now) and the 2.4G sometimes appears briefly when just after reset but then vaishes again.  Also tried a rollback of the firmware from the current version to the last version just in case that was an issue but still no good.  The warranty a now about 5 days out of date which is very frustrating and although I work in IT I'm all out of ideas...

Had Netgear products for years and never had issues, but having spent this amount for something to fail after a year is not acceptable in my eyes...

Message 7 of 14
bbandor
Guide

I have the exact same problem with my router, I have purchased this router only 3 days ago, and after working for 3 days it had just "lost" the 2.4 ghz band, i don't know what to do, it's really a strange and annoying problem, now I can't use my sensibo device, it only connects to the 2.4 ghz band.

Message 8 of 14
fraserd
Tutor

Okay so after being sent a new router I hit the same problem again.  However, I managed myself to work through what the issue was and for me it related to the use of the USB ports at the back of the router.  I had a thumb drive in each and found that a thumb drive in one of the ports seemed to knock it out after a period of time.  As such I now have only 1 thumb drive connected to the router (sorry forgot now which port it is plugged in to!) which seems to have solved the issue.  Dissapointing that I am unable to use 2 thumb drives, but at least I now have the 2.4GHz signal that is needed to connect and remotely operate my Hive ecosystem.

Hope this perhaps gives you an avenue to check and see if it sorts your issue - good luck 🙂

Message 9 of 14
bbandor
Guide

Thank you! I also have a thumb drive in the leftmost port in my router, I will try changing it to the other port, when I arrive home from work, and I will keep you posted.

Message 10 of 14
avtella
Prodigy

USB 3.0 can interefere with 2.4 Ghz improperly shielded cables to drives or improper shielding on USB drives can cause the issue.

Message 11 of 14
bbandor
Guide

Yes, the problem was the USB 3 interference with the 2.4 ghz signal, I had to purchase a 3m USB 3 extension cable and I had to move the USB drive, far away from the router, to the other corner of my room. This solved the problem, now I have the 2.4 ghz back!

Message 12 of 14
sfed2600
Tutor

Same boat.  Tried everything - factory reset, firmware update, firmware rollback, toggling every single channel on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz antennae.  The 2.4 GHz channel will not appear even briefly and this is a big problem for our small office.  We are not going to pay Netgear support to have them send us a new router.  I'm going to throw this router in the dumpster and throw out every single Netgear switch we use.  We will be switching to Ubiquity UniFI and never purchasing another Netgear product.  I anticipate many IT departments will be doing the same in the coming years.

Message 13 of 14
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

That sounds like a hardware issue, it should be a case of a RMA if it's under warranty.

this is more a domestic router and perhaps an enterprise level based router might be better for a small office. Many like your choice so it should be fine.

it may be different for you but here I can claim back under business expenses and return costs are covered in the U.K. by the retailer, in my case Amazon. I simply claimed it on expenses rather than mess around with Amazon.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7