× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No 5ghz rax120

Curly9
Aspirant

No 5ghz rax120

The 5ghz light is on but I can't connect to it or see it any ideas?
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: No 5ghz rax120

@Curly9 wrote:
The 5ghz light is on but I can't connect to it or see it any ideas?

Yes, you are trying to conect with a device that does n ot support 5 GHz.

But who knows? You don't provide enough information to diagnose things.

For example, what does "can't connect to it" mean?

Message 2 of 8
Curly9
Aspirant

Well my phone S10+ connects to the 2.4ghz band. I've tried remaining the 5ghz to something else to see if that was why and got it to show up for a second then gone. I've tried on my computer which isn't ax capable bit it doesn't show up there either. In the setting it does have check box checked for broadcast ssid
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you running on it?

What wireless card does the computer have in it? 

The RAX120 does have the option to use dfs channels but some devices can't use dfs/aren't compatible. Which channels on the 5ghz band are you broadcasting on? 

Have you ever been able to see the 5ghz channels? 

Message 4 of 8
Curly9
Aspirant

The .84 I have downgraded and updated too. The computer is ac but only showed n for some odd reason. I had the 5ghz show up for a minute or 2 and it disappeared
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Model numbers help for whatever you're using for wifi. 

RAX120 does use the DFS channels for 160 Mhz support which causes issues for many devices. If you change your 5ghz channels to up-to 2400mbps speeds and not the 4800mpbs, it'll set you down to 80 Mhz support. In this mode, you can set it for channels 149-161 and see if you devices can see/select it. Try this and see if it helps your issue. 

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Here's your support site for the RAX120. It has the manuals that walk you through changing channel info. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120.aspx

Message 7 of 8
aFireInside82
Aspirant

If you have WiFi SmartConnect enabled, you may only see a single SSID for both the 2.4 and 5ghz networks.

The router's "connected devices" gui will show you which devices are connected via wired, 2.4, and 5ghz.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7