× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No-IP dynamic updates from RAX30

Robert-Earl
Aspirant

No-IP dynamic updates from RAX30

Hi, we own an RAX30 with recently-updated firmware V1.0.6.74_1. We have enabled No-IP dynamic DNS in order to utilize the router's OpenVPN service.

Our ISP is Cox Communications and the router is connected upstream to a Motorola SB6180 SurfBoard cable modem.

Our devices consist of Windows 10 Home, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS, and a Motorola g play (2021) running Android 10. The first two use wired Ethernet, and the Android uses the Netgear's WiFi at home, and various wireless networks when out-and-about.

After a recent shutdown and reboot of both router and cable modem, No-IP dynamic updates became problematic. The record showed a bogus, unrouted 192.168.100.??? address for some reason, rather than my public IP. (We have never used 192.168.100.0/24 in my home net configs.)

Currently, the A record has been updated correctly, but the router is still showing the following message when I click "Show Status" on the Dynamic DNS view:

No update action. There is no IP address on the Internet port.

I've checked the dashboard on No-IP's side, but there's not much to see there. We've moved from another DDNS provider but No-IP is not as featureful as the previous service.

There is, of course, an IPv4 address on the Internet port, assigned via DHCP by my ISP. My network also uses IPv6, and we'd appreciate knowing whether dynamic No-IP updates also support IPv6.  We would like to suggest a feature that will run a DDNS update on demand, as well. I've tried triggering this by toggling the service off/on again, but we're not sure that that works.

Does the RAX30 create log entries for No-IP DDNS updates? What is the troubleshooting process here?

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7