× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No trace of Wifi6 networks on Nighthawk RAXE500

tonydi
Luminary

Re: No trace of Wifi6 networks on Nighthawk RAXE500

Yeah, as a test I took off the Win10 Insider build and reverted back to my backup image containing 20H1. That one had the really old Intel driver.

Then I ran the update to get 21H1 but it didn't change the driver.  I also told it to load the optional 21H1 update update, still no new driver.

So I went into Device Manager, opened the AX210 entry and told it to go to Windows Update to look for a new driver.  That finally loaded the 22.50 driver and I could connect to the 6GHz band.

Sadly, once I changed the 6GHz band to WPA3 the network disappeared.  So it still requires Enhanced Open for the security setting and the expected change to 21H1 that we thought would include the necessary pieces to support WPA3 must not have made the public build.

Message 26 of 111
7Dust
Guide

The plot thickens. So under Updates I selected Optional Updates. From there is a Drivers Updates section with a bunch of old drivers except near the bottom was one called Intel-net with a version number that looked both similar and higher to the Intel wifi driver. I installed it for yucks and it is a newer driver 22.50.1.1
Nice , right? Nope. Nothing changed. I still dont see the 6E. Ha... fun and games.

Message 27 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

Curiouser and couriouser......I went back and looked at your earlier posts and noted the talk about the registry hack.  With the Insider build I was able to remove those keys and I could still connect.  Realizing that the old backup image that I restored probably had the hack I went and looked.  Sure enough it was there in both keys with a value of 1.  I changed them to 0 and rebooted.

The 6GHz band disappeared.

So clearly the Windows Insider builds have the support built in and the public 21H1+ does not.  It looks like Microsoft bailed out and removed it from the public release.

Put the key back in and see what happens. 

If that still doesn't work then I'd suspect that your AX210 card has an issue.  Because you can't buy these cards directly from known Intel wholesalers there are some sketchy things going on with them.  I've seen a number of people with certain "brands" say they could never get them to work on the 6GHz band.  This was a few months ago so I'd hoped this had all been worked out, but maybe not.

Message 28 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

I just bought a new NETGEAR Nighthawk RAXE500, to replace my Nighthawk AX8 ,RAX80 which just stopped working! I am on Spectrums Highest Speed Internet available here, and was getting around 550-650mbps coming into the router, and USED to get anywhere from 400-550mbps on the Download Side coming out of the Router on the 2.4ghz Band.
After installing this new RAXE500, I’m STILL getting well over 650mbps coming into the router but now I can’t even break 100mbps coming out of the router (2.4ghz band) but I can squeeze upwards of around 350-400 mbps on the 5ghz Band!
I’m no Stranger to routers and networking and have ALWAYS used Netgear, because I KNOW Netgear, and they have always treated me well.
But I can’t figure out this Drop in signal!
After trying all the “Tweeks” I know to do, it’s still slow as molasses!
I called Geek Squad, and they’re sending me a Replacement Router, so we’ll see if I just got a Lemon or I’m missing something in setup!
I’ve set up so many Netgear routers I can do it in my sleep… But maybe this new 6E band crap has some settings I’m not familiar with….
Any Ideas? Anyone else run across this DRASTIC Signal Drop after installing this thing?
Any comments, advice etc would be deeply appreciated!!!
Thank you!!!
Harry
Message 29 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

What device are you using to test speeds?

Message 30 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Message 31 of 111
7Dust
Guide

Since I saw activity in this thread I decided to provide an update. I updated my laptop to W11 Pro with no changes. Rebooted and it immediately saw my 6G and connected. For me this rests my case that it was Microsoft or Intel who chose to hold back support until 11. Again, just my conclusion.
Message 32 of 111
plemans
Guru

@HarrySmooth wrote:
I just bought a new NETGEAR Nighthawk RAXE500, to replace my Nighthawk AX8 ,RAX80 which just stopped working! I am on Spectrums Highest Speed Internet available here, and was getting around 550-650mbps coming into the router, and USED to get anywhere from 400-550mbps on the Download Side coming out of the Router on the 2.4ghz Band.
After installing this new RAXE500, I’m STILL getting well over 650mbps coming into the router but now I can’t even break 100mbps coming out of the router (2.4ghz band) but I can squeeze upwards of around 350-400 mbps on the 5ghz Band!
Any comments, advice etc would be deeply appreciated!!!
Thank you!!!
Harry

I've never once seen a 2.4ghz device hit 400-550mbps. Not even under optimal conditions. 2.4ghz is a much slower network and is more sensitive to interference. But it does broadcast further and through more materials. The 100mbps is more in-line with what I'd expect as well as what I experience with my RAXE500. So I'm not sure how you were testing before but I'd be looking at how you were testing prior and not the RAXE500.

I'd highly recommend reading a bit more on wifi and the misunderstandings of wifi. this article is well written and breaks it down nicely. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

You can also look at a tested review of the RAXE500 from smallnetbuider. They do a great job and test under optimal conditions so see the best devices can perform. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33231-netgear-raxe500-nighthawk-tri-band-w...

Message 33 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Well, all I know is with my old router, (Netgear AX8000) I was indeed getting well over 400mbps on the download side.....wanna see a pic of my Router Results?) before it crapped out, now I put in this AX110000 and I can't even bust 100? Nah........something's amiss! It doesn't take an IT Engineer to figure THAT out! ....AND......my 5ghz band keeps dropping out! Just at random times.......no, I'm sending this POS back and getting another AX8000.......none of us even HAVE anything that will run "6E" anyway.......I dunno why I even bothered!

Message 34 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

Suit yourself.  I never did see what you used to test with, that message appears blank to me so I still don't know what the capabilities were of that device.  For all I know you were really connecting to the 5GHz side (maybe with Smart Connect enabled?) where the speeds you describe are totally within reason.

Message 35 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

I used Ookla Speedtest....I said that probably 4 times lol.....and I don't know how to "connect it to just the 5ghz side, I just use the 4 supplied lan ports......I don't even see any way to "just " connect it to the 5ghz side! And Smart Connect IS enabled .

Message 36 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

If you use the nighthawk app it will measure the max speed directly from the router not the diminished airwaves.
Message 37 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

Sorry I should have mentioned as well remember wifi 6 is rare on devices.
Message 38 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

EXACTLY!!!!!

Message 39 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

See all the Numbers in the 300's and 400's? Those are the readings from my old router.... the smaller numbers are from the Router at my business..... as you can see I regularly topped over 400mbps on the 2.4ghz side! Now with this new AC11000 I can barely hit 100

Message 40 of 111
plemans
Guru

@HarrySmooth wrote:

See all the Numbers in the 300's and 400's? Those are the readings from my old router.... the smaller numbers are from the Router at my business..... as you can see I regularly topped over 400mbps on the 2.4ghz side! Now with this new AC11000 I can barely hit 100

they don't say if you're testing on 2.4ghz or 5ghz. 

And those routers use smart connect. Based on your prior statements of not being aware of what one you're connecting to, I'd be betting that you had smart connect enabled and it was on the 5ghz.

I've been testing routers for over a decade and you won't hit 400+ mbps over 2.4ghz. Again, the 100mbps is more in line with what 2.4ghz AX can do. 

But you're welcome to what you believe. You'll be returning routers for quite a while you think that. 

Message 41 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

@HarrySmooth  I asked what device you used to test with.

With Smart Connect enabled both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are on the same SSID.  The device and the router negotiate which is the best band for that device based on signal strength for wherever that device is.  It's clear now that the device was getting connected to the 5GHz band.  As I said previously, those speedtest results match perfectly with that scenario.

Message 42 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

OOPS! My Bad!  Just checked and "Smart Connect" button was disabled! 
should I enable this? 

Message 43 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

No they don't say which network I'm testing but in the "Notes" I put what Band I was testing and where in the house I tested it! 

Message 44 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

Just go into your settings and disable smart conect and retest. Just remember you will have to reconnect your 5.0 devices. Listen if you're having problems with the router just return it, but if it were me I would do a total reset first. I have the same router they are not that great my workhorse is my R9000, it never has problems.
Message 45 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Smart Connect was already disabled, I thought it was enabled but I was mistaken..... DEAD slow speed tests! 
shiuld I enable it? MY workhorse was my AX6000 /AX8...... but it just quit working! No power, no lights no nothing! And it was BLAZING Fast! Now can't get **bleep** outa this 11000..... so frustrating! 

Message 46 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

HOLY SMOKES! I didn't have the Smart Connect enabled...... just enabled it and NOW I got my Speed!!!! Reading 435 Downstream/ 22.4 Upstream! 
now THATS what I'm talking about! Thanks Man! I was SURE I had that enabled! 
imstand corrected ! 
thanks again man!

Message 47 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

I don't actually like Smart Connect (or band steering, which is the actual name).  For instance, if I have a 5GHz device that's close enough to the router, I want to make sure it's always connecting to the 5GHz band. If SC worked as well as the theory describes then I'd leave it alone. But far too often I see devices that just bail out and grab the 2.4GHz band.  So I disable SC, making the SSID names different and then point each device to the proper band. 

Message 48 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

Enabling it won't make a difference, it could simply be a hardware issue. I believe you're still within your 90 days, I would reach out to netgear tech support they should have some test they can run to determine if you need to return it. I really wish there was more I could do for you. I have an ax11000 that had what I believe was a hardware issue an I was experiencing slow speeds, but I can't confirm that because it was out of warranty. I had Spectrum at my house and tested the connection off the modem and it was good but when we tested it off the router it was bad.
Message 49 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

There's nothing wrong with Harry's router.  He was connecting to the 2.4GHz band before he enabled it whereas on his old router, it was pushing his device to the 5GHz band without his knowledge.

Message 50 of 111
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 110 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7