× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Only connecting on 2nd try.

TheSecondSon
Tutor

Only connecting on 2nd try.

I've had the R7850 for a little over 2 years. I live in College housing, so I don't have access to the Modem, but just recently, it has started giving me issues connecting on the first try. Every time I access the internet, whether it is a webpage, or a game or anything, it says I have no internet for a split second and then connects. For example: When I open my college webpage, it thinks for a second and then says "the webpage is unnavailable" and then 1 second later, it reloads the page and everything is fine. Or when I load Facebook, half of the pictures appear as little title boxes that have the "can't resolve image" logo on them, I have to refresh the page for them to show up properly. Does anybody have an idea as to why this might be happening? and how to fix it?
Another example would be when loading into an online game, it connects, and there's no lag. I'll have a ping under 60 ms, but half of the online services aren't available such as voice chat.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

There was an update released 5 days ago. 

You can try a factory reset and see if that helps. 

If it doesn't try downgrading a version of the firmware. Maybe it introduced the DNS issues that some other models have experienced on the latest firwmare. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. did this just start? what firmware version are you on? 

2. have you contacted whoever is managing the college housing? Some have their own routing functions built in and either need to add your router to the DMZ or have you switch your router to access point mode. It'll depend on how they have their setup so you can determine how to setup yours. 

Message 2 of 6
TheSecondSon
Tutor

This started about a week ago, I thought it was just school internet, but nobody else near me is having issues, and it's been getting worse and worse. 
Firmware Version
V1.0.5.76_10.1.82

I've contacted the school IT and they don't know anything about how the system is set up. but I've had it working just fine for 2 years up until now.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

There was an update released 5 days ago. 

You can try a factory reset and see if that helps. 

If it doesn't try downgrading a version of the firmware. Maybe it introduced the DNS issues that some other models have experienced on the latest firwmare. 

Message 4 of 6
TheSecondSon
Tutor

Downgrading the firmware appears to have been a solution (for now).

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

glad it fixed it for you!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements