× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OpenVPN will not work with RAX45 router.

Dboelling
Tutor

OpenVPN will not work with RAX45 router.

Just baught an RAX45 router. Trying to get OpenVPN to work. Keep getting 

WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled

and TLS Errors. 

Windows 10. I tried multiple versions of OpenVPN including the new version 3 and all the way back to 2.4.1. Nothing worked. Version 3 fails stating that it can't import the config file from the router as it doesn't support TAP. The router config files are out of date for OpenVPN 3 and I do not know how to fix them. UDP seems to be working fine through my DDNS. I I port forwarded the TAP and TUN ports. Nothing seems to work. The config file from the router appears to be fine. The certificate and key files are there. I spent 8 hour messing with this and tried it on two different PC's. Tested it on both my internal and from external networks and it doesn't want to function. I purchased this router for the VPN. I am about ready to take it back. 

Any help would be appreciated.  

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Dboelling,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
Dboelling
Tutor

I contacted your support. They were AWFULL! Several different support persons that only wanted me to run through the same instructions and scripts multiple times. Then the support person told me that the VPN on the router woouldn't allow me access to my home network with OpenVPN anyway. That is only allows access to the router settings. Having been in IT and the Network Security Officer for several fortune 100 companies and having set up several Linksys and ASUS routers for home access for friends, I knew she was full of crap. The software and instructions on this router were for OpenVPN version 2.3 from 2017. We are now at 3.0. Another issue I had with this router, is that anytime a WiFi device connected it took between 1 and 3 minutes for the router to decide to connect the device to the Internet. Sorry, I took it back for a refund and went with an ASUS router. Set it up fine no issues in 10 minutes.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7