Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi10 routers - model RBR50 - compatible VPN’s

Nimal05
Follower

Orbi10 routers - model RBR50 - compatible VPN’s

What VPN’s are compatible with and can be installed on this router?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi10 routers - model RBR50 - compatible VPN’s

@Nimal05 wrote:
What VPN’s are compatible with and can be installed on this router?

This is more complicated than it may appear.  I am guessing that Orbi10 is the WiFi network name of the Orbi RBR50 WiFi router?

There are two forms of VPN software. Orbi supports one of them.

• VPN Server waits for clients to connect from the internet and then provides access to everything on the local network (LAN).
    Orbi includes the OpenVPN server.  Once configured, devices can open a VPN "tunnel" from the internet into the Orbi LAN.
    I use OpenVPN to access my home devices when I am "away" (coffee shop, airport, well... not lately, but you get the idea).
  • VPN Client accepts connections from local devices and directs them through a VPN tunnel to a VPN service somewhere on the internet.  Rather than install a VPN client on individual computers, a VPN client package bundles everything through the tunnel.
    Orbi does not support any form of VPN Client.

There is third party firmware for the RBR50 router which does include two VPN Client packages: Open VPN and WireGuard.

Replacing Netgear firmware with Voxel's firmware obviously is not supported by Netgear, or anybody on this forum.  (It is not for the faint of heart.  I have installed it as a trial, and was pleasantly surprised. I am currently running stock Netgear firmware because none of the Voxel features were critical to me.)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7