× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental control AX5700

benmarian2000
Aspirant

Parental control AX5700

I bought the AX5700  model RAX75. Is there way to set up parental controls without paying $120/yr or buying a Disney Circle? I thought there was a no-cost level of Disney Circle.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Parental control AX5700

I didn't know they'd rolled out parental controls/Armor/disney circle to any of the RAX devices yet. 

I've used opendns in the past for generalized blocking. Site specific blocking costs $. 

Message 2 of 4
benmarian2000
Aspirant

Thank you. I didn't know how this worked. We had an old Apple Airport Extreme that is probably nearly a decade old. We did have a Disney Circle (first gen) that we bought when our kids were younger. Seeing that many new WIFI routers had parental controls included, we thought it may be a good time to get a new router and update parental controls. In my excitement of the deal, this router was normally $300+ and we got it from Costco for $200 I didn't realize it did not have parental controls. I then thought that perhaps I could simply download the Circle software. However, now it seems that some routers come with the parental software/hardware built included. If you don't have the parental control mechanisms in place when you buy it, you either have to pay the subscription service or buy the hardware. I could be wrong in my understanding here...

With our Disney Circle (first gen) we didn't have to pay for a service (I hate subscriptions services as we all too often are paying forever for services we no longer need).  We could have paid for a service for additional features (that we didn't need). 

In reality, I could probably get buy if there were a way to make a guest network that the kids would use but that would automatically turn on and off at set times of the day (with different schedules on different days of the week).

My alternative is to return this unit and buy one that has parental controls (and one or preferably two USB ports--for external hard drives).

Thank you for your advice!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

do you have the original circle by disney device? 

If so, that potentially could be hooked to your router. Its designed to connect with a regular router. 

And I'm sure if you wait a bit, they'll roll out these features. The RAX devices are new and from the sound of it, they're just getting the initial firmware straightened out before they start adding features. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7