× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Poor Signal - Need Options

MGorgol
Star

Poor Signal - Need Options

Purchased my RAX80 some time ago. Been pretty happy with it except for the random internet dropping issue. However, I have paired it with an X6S to extend out to the backyard and eventually to a guest house that will be added (it'll be about 15 feet from the main house) but that solution (RAX80 + X6S) is not very reliable. Suffice it to say that I needed to periodically reboot X6S to resolve connection issues.

I've been researching and a quite nice solution would be to improve the existing antenna...But this solution means Netgear cannot sell people extenders. I wanted to puchase a well reviewed external antenna solution from simpleWifi but it requires a coax connection and Netgear no longer has coax connecters for its antennas on rax routers.

I purchase quite a bit of your products I want to work with you to try and find a solution for my situation. I prefer to not use my time working with a support tech spending hours and hours trying different possible solutions. I like the idea of simplifying the solution by removing the extender and the problems a completely separate system introduces from the equation and simply boosting the signal strength from my primary rax 80.

What are my options?? Can an external antenna be installed to the router's usb adapter? or is there a version that might plug into one of the ethernet ports? Or do I downgrade to one of simpleWifi's netgear based solutions which utilize what looks like your 7400 series router and their unidirectional antennas for a 9dBi gain @ 360 degrees

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

like @GabboCH said, a cable would be the best solution. 

You're other option I'd look into would be a system designed for what you're trying to do. They're called a point-point system. They use a directional antenna and need to be aimed at each other. But they have a much better signal and get much less interference. If you're trying to go any distance outdoors and can't hardwired it, a system designed for what you're trying to do is going to work better than rigging it up. Especially if its a guest house that needs a stable connection. 

Just my 2 cents. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
GabboCH
Apprentice

No chance to run an ethernet cable outside between the two devices?

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

like @GabboCH said, a cable would be the best solution. 

You're other option I'd look into would be a system designed for what you're trying to do. They're called a point-point system. They use a directional antenna and need to be aimed at each other. But they have a much better signal and get much less interference. If you're trying to go any distance outdoors and can't hardwired it, a system designed for what you're trying to do is going to work better than rigging it up. Especially if its a guest house that needs a stable connection. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Message 3 of 5
MGorgol
Star

It's possible and something I thought of as well but didn't mention in my original post. My reluctance is the installation effort (either going under the house or in the attic). Thanks for the reply as it's defintely a good option.

Message 4 of 5
MGorgol
Star

Thank you. I will definitely look into that. The guest house won't be finished for about 5 months so I may wait on implementing any solution as there may be available 5G solutions where I could have two separate accounts - the cost of which (for both) would still be about half what I'm paying now for one account.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7