× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Port Forwarding settings don't save (RAX75)

McCown
Aspirant

Port Forwarding settings don't save (RAX75)

I just bought a new Netgear Nighthawk AX8 (RAX75) and I can't get my Port Forwarding selections to save.  I log into the router, go to Advanced, and select "Port Forwarding / Port Triggering".  When I enter my settings, they appear to save, but are lost after a reboot.  When I check externally, the ports show as closed.  Any ideas?

I tried to open a support ticket, but that has a problem, too.  Despite registering the new product yesterday, it says "Your complimentary 90 days technical support expired on 2019-10-29.", which is 90 days into the future!  Any ideas on that, as well?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5
McCown
Aspirant

I finally got the port forwarding settings to save in the router, but they have no effect.  I opened a port (now shows open) and disabled UPnP, which should close the port.

However...   an nmap scan shows that the UPnP port is still open and the ports I'm trying to open as closed...

Any ideas?

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Are the same ports or overlapping port ranges with the UPnP PMP involved?

Not convinced these consumer devices will lose and properly "reset" the UPnP PMP ports on disabling the service. A reboot might be required.

Message 3 of 5
McCown
Aspirant

No.  The ports I'm trying to open are different from the UPnP port number.  

What I've determined so far is that the Nighthawk web UI falsely reports my desired actions (opening some ports & closing another) as successful.  I have verified (using nmap) that the port configurations remain unchanged.  

This seems like the simplest use case that should have been caught during QA.  

Netgear (@netgear), I am still within my 90-day support window.  Can I please get a reply?!

Message 4 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi McCown - I have sent a follow up to support last week and I believe they have been in contact with you. Please feel free to reach out if I can be of any further assistance.

~Christian 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7