× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with connection to work PC via gateway

jmhga44
Star

Problems with connection to work PC via gateway

I'm connecting from my home desktop to my office PC via a gateway and am having problems keeping the connection from dropping. I've talked to my Internet provider Spectrum and they do not see any problems in regards to the modem. When the connection to the office PC drops I am still able to browse web sites and see my home network without any problems. I also have just checked to see if there was a firmware update for my modem and there were no updates. Would anyone have any suggestions on this problem?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: Problems with connection to work PC via gateway

How about starting by telling us which router model you have and with firmware version (not "the latest" but a number). And how about telling us what modem or gateway you have in front of the router?

Message 2 of 5
jmhga44
Star

Router - Netgear RAX50 

Modem - provided by Spectrum (EN2251)

Firmware Version - V1.0.11.112_2.0.77

Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

Is the modem set in Bridge mode or router mode? If the latter, you're dealing with double NAT - https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

There should be only 1 router in your network. All others should be set in Access Point or bridge mode

Message 4 of 5
jmhga44
Star

I've only got 1 router..which is hooked  up to the modem. The modem only has 1 Ethernet port and that goes to the router. I did hook the Cat 5 cable from my home desktop directly to the modem yesterday for a test (suggested by IP provider) and swapped them back..the problem didn't occur during the test and so far hasn't occurred after I swapped the cables back.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7