× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions about the readyshare media server scanning the files I want it to scan

lisaviolet
Aspirant

Questions about the readyshare media server scanning the files I want it to scan

I don't see my router listed above. It's a Nighthawk AX5400. Updated to the latest firmware - V1.0.2.82_2.0.50.

Is there anyway to block scanning of certain folders in the media server? Or a way to just block an entire partition? I've spent hours trying to find out and I figured if anyone could tell me if there's a way or I just have to live with it, this is probably the best place to find an answer.

I have a 4TB hard drive that I partitioned into 2TB each. On one partition, which I call media storage, I have media folders (music, video, special photos). On the other partition (which has about 1.5TB of files on it) I have quickbooks, backup copies of downloaded files, all of my photos ever taken, 3D printer files, you get the idea.

I only want the ones on the media partition to get scanned by the media server.  Is there a way to do this?

I did find one possible way to do it, with permissions, a really old post here and it didn't work for me.

Is it possible to choose the folders to scan?

Thanks in advance. And sorry if I did this wrong.

Message 1 of 3
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: Questions about the readyshare media server scanning the files I want it to scan

Currently there is no option to block which folders it will scan. If you leave the DLNA server enabled, it will scan every directory that it has access to. The DLNA server seems to just gradually scan the storage with idle, though the inability to not be able to tell it to ignore certain folders, can slow the process a little, but it is still quite fast, especially with the modern SOCs where a single thread read operation on USB storage can read a hard drive or SSD at over 150MB/s.

Message 2 of 3
lisaviolet
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to get a NAS for my media. My husband felt sorry for me (so many research rabbit holes...) and said go for it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7