× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6300 upgrade...need suggestions

MZavakos
Initiate

R6300 upgrade...need suggestions

Hello, I’m asking for advice regarding upgrading from an R6300 in my home. The 6300 has been fantastic but with all the connected devices (20) and multiple streaming (3-4 devices streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube, etc) platforms I think it’s time to upgrade. Especially the ability to manage the various phones, gaming platforms (PS4Pro and XBox) and PCs to maximize bandwidth/internet access.
I am unsure of what line/model to choose. Using the filters on the website I’ve been directed to both the RAX200 and the AC3200. I currently use wired Ethernet to some locations so Gig LAN connections are a must and the aforementioned issues such as management of numerous devices, bandwidth, etc. I wouldn’t mind being able to create some separation from my neighbors WiFi either. When I run SSIDER it wants me to move my 5G to a channel I can’t select on the R6300.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Matt
Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 1 of 4
psychopomp123
Luminary

Hi,

If you've got a tonne of wifi clients then I highly recommend the RAX200. Had my RAX200 for 5-6 months and its a brilliant router for wifi. Only thing i would recommend is switching off band steering in the router settings (aka 'smart connect') so that you can manually choose which of the 3 bands your wifi clients connect to. 

cheers

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 2 of 4
MZavakos
Initiate

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated.

Matt
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

How big is your home? 

what is it made of? (interior walls)

I'd also look at the mesh solutions if your home is big enough. Like orbi.  They do need a bit of seperation to function properly. You might not have the same peak  performance as a flagship router but they tend to have better average throughput. Which is what is more important for streaming. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7