× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700AX Firmware V1.0.11.112 can't login into PureVPN. I can log in OK from Windows.

andrecgm
Aspirant

R6700AX Firmware V1.0.11.112 can't login into PureVPN. I can log in OK from Windows.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R6700AX Firmware V1.0.11.112 can't login into PureVPN. I can log in OK from Windows.

The R6700AX is different hardware. Meaning different firmware. 

Event expressvpn's 3rd party firmware is only for 1 version of the r6700. 

If you're wanting to use 3rd party firmware check with the maker of that vpn for the best compatible router

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: R6700AX Firmware V1.0.11.112 can't login into PureVPN. I can log in OK from Windows.

I'm not sure what you're meaning. 

You can't log in from the router (which doesn't support purevpn) but can from a windows computer? 

Message 2 of 8
andrecgm
Aspirant

Dear plemans, 

PureVPN is the only VPN Client that comes in the Firmware Version V1.0.11.112 as you can see in the screenshot below.  After checking their website I was able to solve the problem. PureVPN  provides a specific VPN Username/password you use in the router. This is different than the Windows VPN client which uses the PureVPN user account. 

The router now connects to the VPN but so far the performance is far from impressive. I have spoken with PureVPN tech support and they are looking into the problem. I will post here an update when they solve the problem.

andrecgm_0-1652665737265.png

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Wasn't aware they'd added this on the AX R6700. 

interesting. Not a whole lot of info on it so I'm not much help with that. 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to?

Message 4 of 8
andrecgm
Aspirant

The router is connected to the Frontier 500mbps FIOS. When connected to PureVPN the speed goes down to 50mbps. 
I am wondering why Netgear chose PureVPN as the only option for VPN, considering it is one of the worse ones in terms of performance. It is pretty cheap though. 

I bought this router with the intention of using ExpressVPN but learned that only the R6700V3 supports it. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'm simple impressed they used someone other than openvpn (which used to be the only supported)

Expressvpn on the r6700v3 wasn't supported but it was able to be used through 3rd party firmware. 

I haven't found any of netgears routers that support 3rd party firmware yet. 

Message 6 of 8
andrecgm
Aspirant

I tried to install the 3rd party firmware in the R6700AX in order to use Expressvpn but the file format was not accepted. I did not think there would be so many differences between R6700AX and R6700V3. I thought it would be only additional speed on the AX model.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

The R6700AX is different hardware. Meaning different firmware. 

Event expressvpn's 3rd party firmware is only for 1 version of the r6700. 

If you're wanting to use 3rd party firmware check with the maker of that vpn for the best compatible router

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7