× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700AX auto-updated to V1.0.12.114 firmware. Stops responding to 1 device - works fine for others.

brucemoose2
Aspirant

R6700AX auto-updated to V1.0.12.114 firmware. Stops responding to 1 device - works fine for others.

I have an R6700AX connected to Starlink (latest version).  Firmware was recently updated automatically to 1.0.12.114.  I have around 10 devices connected to the router over wireless.  One laptop will randomly lose internet access and the browser will report that the DNS server is unresponsive.  When this happens, I cannot connect to the router at 192.168.1.1 but I can ping myself at 127.0.0.1 and the laptop reports that it's still "connected" without internet access.  Other laptops and devices work fine and still have internet through the router wifi when this is happening.  If I reset the router, the wifi connection for the laptop that's "connected" without internet starts working fine again. 

As a test, I disconnected from the router wifi when this happened last, connected to a mobile hotspot (which worked fine and gave me internet) and then reconnected to the router wifi where I found myself back in the "connected" without internet state.  I tried separating 2.4 and 5 GHz into different SSIDs but that did not fix the issue.  What else should I try?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
brucemoose2
Aspirant

Re: R6700AX auto-updated to V1.0.12.114 firmware. Stops responding to 1 device - works fine for oth

I believe that I fixed this by disabling AX features.  In wireless setup, I unchecked the "Enable AX" checkbox and applied the settings from a second laptop.  Suddenly, the laptop that was having connectivity issues reported that it was connected to the internet again.  I will report back if this problem reproduces again.  But the takeaway is that the R6700AX doesn't seem to play nicely in default settings with my laptop's Qualcomm WiFi adapter: Qualcomm WCN685x Wi-Fi 6E Dual Band Simultaneous (DBS) WiFiCx.  Hopefully Netgear support sees this and does a proper investigation so I can use AX on this router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: R6700AX auto-updated to V1.0.12.114 firmware. Stops responding to 1 device - works fine for oth

What actual starlink router is it connected to? 

Is the R6700 in ap mode? or does the starlink have the netgears ip address set in its DMZ?

Message 2 of 6
brucemoose2
Aspirant

The Starlink router functionality and wifi are disabled - Starlink unit is configured in bypass mode (it provides 1 IP address and acts more or less like a cable/DSL modem).  I have a Starlink ethernet adapter (the latest version has no built-in ethernet port, so this is required) connecting Starlink directly to the R6700AX.  DHCP is provided by the R6700AX for the local network.  

As an update to the original post, when I look at the router log for the R6700AX, I see lots of duplicate entries for DHCP.  Example:

[DHCP IP 192.168.1.21][Device Name: MY_LAPTOP1234] to MAC address <normal looking MAC>, <date and time>

[DHCP IP 192.168.1.21][Device Name: MY_LAPTOP1234] to MAC address <normal looking MAC>, <date and time>

The timestamps are usually about 2-5 seconds apart.  This appears related to me, but may just be a symptom rather than the root cause.  

Message 3 of 6
brucemoose2
Aspirant

I believe that I fixed this by disabling AX features.  In wireless setup, I unchecked the "Enable AX" checkbox and applied the settings from a second laptop.  Suddenly, the laptop that was having connectivity issues reported that it was connected to the internet again.  I will report back if this problem reproduces again.  But the takeaway is that the R6700AX doesn't seem to play nicely in default settings with my laptop's Qualcomm WiFi adapter: Qualcomm WCN685x Wi-Fi 6E Dual Band Simultaneous (DBS) WiFiCx.  Hopefully Netgear support sees this and does a proper investigation so I can use AX on this router.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

I'd be checking with qualcomm not netgear. that device is one of the newest 6e chipsets. 

Message 5 of 6
brucemoose2
Aspirant

Definitely not out of the question but again, resetting the router fixes the problem immediately. So it’s not clear that this is a QC issue to me.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7