× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P Idle Time to Auto-Logoff timeout adjustment?

EcNels
Follower

R8000P Idle Time to Auto-Logoff timeout adjustment?

Hi Folks:

I have several Netgear Routers, including the WIFI 6 stuff.  I have never found a User-Settable Idle-Timeout for Logoff of the current user.  It's hard to express just how frustrtating this is, because it seems entirely obvious that every user is going to have different opinions of how much time to balance their ongoing activities before they're ungratuitously kicked off the interface and have to login again, while they're still engaged in the same task.  For years, I've invested days setting up multiple routers in various configurations.  Not having a factory-coded, user-unchangeable timeout of a few minutes has wasted many hours of time.

Doesn't Netgear see the value in setting a fairly tight default Timeout, but enabling the user to change that quantity?  Even if the auto-logoff timeout reverted back to the Tight Timeout Pumpkin at midnight, the User (I.E. Owner) should be able to change this setting.  Does ASUS provide login timeouts?  This is far too long not to solve a simple issue.

If I've missed it, then let me know and I'll beg your pardon, but until then, Netgear is the one who should be apologizing for wasting many thousands of hours of user's time forcing them to login again and again as they juggle between various configurations, data storage lookups, readings, and all the other stuff that goes with router setup.

Help us out here guys!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000P Idle Time to Auto-Logoff timeout adjustment?

You could try suggesting it in the Ideas forum. 

Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities

Thats where you go for suggestions. 

I'm one of those who find it frustrating as well when I get timed out. its annoying but I haven't found a way to change the login time. 

In terms of if Asus offers this, you'd have to ask on their forum. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R8000P Idle Time to Auto-Logoff timeout adjustment?

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with R8000P products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your future posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear
Thank you.

@EcNels wrote:

Hi Folks:

I have several Netgear Routers, including the WIFI 6 stuff.  I have never found a User-Settable Idle-Timeout for Logoff of the current user.  It's hard to express just how frustrtating this is, because it seems entirely obvious that every user is going to have different opinions of how much time to balance their ongoing activities before they're ungratuitously kicked off the interface and have to login again, while they're still engaged in the same task.  For years, I've invested days setting up multiple routers in various configurations.  Not having a factory-coded, user-unchangeable timeout of a few minutes has wasted many hours of time.

Doesn't Netgear see the value in setting a fairly tight default Timeout, but enabling the user to change that quantity?  Even if the auto-logoff timeout reverted back to the Tight Timeout Pumpkin at midnight, the User (I.E. Owner) should be able to change this setting.  Does ASUS provide login timeouts?  This is far too long not to solve a simple issue.

If I've missed it, then let me know and I'll beg your pardon, but until then, Netgear is the one who should be apologizing for wasting many thousands of hours of user's time forcing them to login again and again as they juggle between various configurations, data storage lookups, readings, and all the other stuff that goes with router setup.

Help us out here guys!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7