× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R9000 Losing Wired Ehternet Ports - AGAIN

justinto
Aspirant

R9000 Losing Wired Ehternet Ports - AGAIN

I have the Nighthawk R9000 modem and when I first got it at the beginning of 2020, I was having problems losing the wired ethernet ports every day and I had to reboot the modem and the router to restore them. When this kept occuring, I took the advice from this community in a post on 2020-12-03 and reset to factory settings. This worked until now.

In the last week, the same thing is occuring - losing the wired ehternet connections. WIFI works fine, but I cannot access anything from wired devices until I reboot both the modem and the router. I reset to factory settings and this worked for a few hours. (Note: I did not use backup settings to restore the settings. I started from a fresh reset.)

I have Firmware: V1.0.5.36.

Does anyone know why this is occuring? I am tempted to buy a new modem - not Netgear - and start over. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
justinto
Aspirant

Re: R9000 Losing Wired Ehternet Ports - AGAIN

When the newest firmware upgrade failed again after a few hours, I took your advice and loaded the previous version. Looking at the version dates, it made sense. I started having problems as soon as the newest version was loaded. So far, so good. Thank you.

I am surprised how a company like Netgear can update equipment with faulty firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
Razor512
Prodigy

Does the issue happen with every wired device or just one of them?

Also if it happens with all wired devices, can they ping WAN addresses, if not, can theyping each other. This will help to track down if it is a hardware issue, or if there is some other weird bug.

Also do you have any really long Ethernet runs, e.g., 200-300ft+?

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

Try downgrading the firmware a version, then do the factory reset/reinstall. disable auto updates. 

there was an update pushed out roughly a month ago for that device. maybe its whats causing issues. 

Message 3 of 11
justinto
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. All of the wired connections fail. There is no connectivity among them. The longest connection is 100' to the upstairs.
Message 4 of 11
justinto
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. Do you know how to downgrade the update? I know how to turn off the auto updates, but if I recall with a factory reset and new install, it looks for a new update.
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Simply download it from the support site and extract it. 

Then follow the manual update process but use the older firmware instead of newer. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r9000

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 6 of 11
justinto
Aspirant

Thank you. I will try it and let you know if it worked.

Message 7 of 11
justinto
Aspirant

When the newest firmware upgrade failed again after a few hours, I took your advice and loaded the previous version. Looking at the version dates, it made sense. I started having problems as soon as the newest version was loaded. So far, so good. Thank you.

I am surprised how a company like Netgear can update equipment with faulty firmware.

Message 8 of 11
Razor512
Prodigy

In such as case, since wired connectivity is heavily tested, I wonder, with any of the more recent updates, were any settings relating to power saving functions on Ethernet, such as Green Ethernet and other related functions changed? Sometimes areas like that can cause issues with some cables, especially extremely slim cables.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Be sure visit and post in the NH router forum for your model router:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Enjoy.

@justinto wrote:

Message 10 of 11

@justinto wrote:

I have the Nighthawk R9000 modem and when I first got it at the beginning of 2020...

Your R9000 is not a modem.

You have been advised to play with the firmware on your R9000. It might also have been a good idea so have asked you what modem you have in front if this router, if there is one.

Simply reverting to old firmware may not be what fixed your problem. That might have been down to a network reboot during which the devices reconfigured themselves differently.

@justinto wrote:

I am tempted to buy a new modem - not Netgear - and start over. Any suggestions?

Before you do that, look at your existing modem. It is not the R9000. That is your router.

Maybe your existing modem is also a router. If so, that could explain why you are "losing the wired ethernet ports every day", whatever that means. (Losing is a  vague  description that tells us,little about what actually happens.) If so, that points to a configuration issue that may have nothing to do with your firmware.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7