× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX 120 Homekit issues

RAX 120 Homekit issues

Hi All,

I changed from an Orbi RAC50 to a Nighthawk RAX120 router to upgrade my home network and since the upgrade I contantly have issues with my Homekit smart devices. I have a big selection of devices homepod, appletv, LIFX light, IKEA tradfry, Tado, Velux and unfortunately the whole Smart home experience with the RAX120 is very bad. Everything worked OK on the Orbi, but with the RAX...:(

I have the wifi smart connect enabled so I have one single SSID for the 3 Wifi frequencies (5g, 5g 2nd, 2,4G). UPnP is enabled, the Advertisement Period (in minutes) is 1 minute, and the Advertisement Time to Live (in hops) 255, also played around with the placement of the router and the smart hubs. The advertisement period and time settings did improve the situation, but in general I still get loads of issues.

The list of issues:

• The devices in the Homekit app are unavailable at random times
  • When devices unavailable cant control them, they dont respond
  • Cant control devices with the Homepod/Siri, siri keeps on saying the devices dont respond
  • Sometimes the Homepods have connection issues, wont play songs, they dont appear between airplay devices
  • Homepods paired in stereo mode stop working in stereo
  • Homepod controls are unavailable in the homekit app
  • and so on, the list doesnt stop here...

The whole experience is very frustrating. A well working system stopped working due to a router change, needed quicker internet, but in exchange the homekit stopped working. Super frustrating to hear from Siri, "I cant reach some of your devices" or "Some of your devices didnt respond". There was never an issue with the Orbi, but the nighthawk is a nightmare.

I also disabled the Airtime Fairness, tried to enable disable all these Beamforming and MI-MO options, nothing helped. I think simply there is an issue with the RAX FW when dealing with the multiple Wifi frequencies as one. The communication between the different frequencies is simply not well implemented. This worked zero issue with the Orbi. Disabling the Wifi Smart connect is not an option since then I wont be able the control a device connceted to the 2.4Ghz network with a device on the 5Ghz network.

Does anybody have similar issues? Maybe somebody came up with some special setting that worked?

@netgear can we expect a FW update which will solve these probelms?

Cheers!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
thehypnootoad
Luminary

3 options if they connect once try reserve ip. 2nd option is buy a ac extender for them to connect through. 3rd is roll back to .136 via wired and pin reset afterwards. Try these the newest firmware is troublesome.
Message 2 of 4

Meanwhile I realized I am a total mess, I have the RAX200 and not the RAX120...:D Do you know which FW is there the stable one? The rest of the other 2 options is also valid?

Message 3 of 4
thehypnootoad
Luminary

Not to familiar with rax 200 firmware sorry best asking on fresh post best updating wired and using pinhole reset afterwards helps fix alot of problems.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7