× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX 120 authentication issues

Redflagdan
Tutor

RAX 120 authentication issues

For some reason after a period of several hours any device that trys to logon into my wireless system gets an authenication error, the password is invalid.  My firmware is V1.0.1.90.   I have tried turning off AX, still happens.  Reboot fixes it, then it is fine for several hours.  It appears to me to be some sort of memory corruption.  Also I am fairly certain this started happening after I upgraded the firmware to V1.0.1.90.   I'd open a ticket with Netgear but I do not have premium support and my 90 days have passed.  Anyone else having this issue? Its annoying to be rebooting the router every day.  

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 78
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Redflagdan - I'd like for our support team to reach out to you for further investigation. Please send me a message with your contact info and serial number.

~Christian 

Message 2 of 78
Mactastic
Initiate

I am also having the same issue posted here and noted the same issues. After updating to the latest firmware as referenced in the first post, my devices are sporadically kicked off the network. The device then cannot reconnect due to authentication issues. Rebooting the router allows all the devices to connect again, but is only a fix for a few hours or a day or so if I’m lucky.
Message 3 of 78
BobMass
Aspirant

Same authentication issue with me. Prompts taht I have an incorrect password, re-typing password does not help (it gets rejected).  Not all devices blocked.  need to power cycle both the RAX router and (Netgear) cable modem. been a problem since day 1.  router is only 6 weeks old.  Can I send it back?  

Please help!

Message 4 of 78
ChronicLynx
Initiate

Seems the latest firmware may be causing this issue on some of my devices too. I have an Apple TV 4K which fails to reconnect to wifi after being asleep for several hours. I don't recall ever seeing this issue until around the time of the firmware update.

Message 5 of 78
vanilla092012
Initiate

I also have rax120 and have to reboot weekly because nearly 20 devices i have stop re-joining the wifi due to "incorrect password". the devices that do not drop off wifi do STAY connected with no problem. i can disconnect every device from wi-fi and try to re-join them when the router has bugged and it wont allow any of the 20+ devices to connect. its almost like the router forgets what its wifi password is. i run V1.0.1.90 but i dont know if issues started before or after the update. i also tried turning AX off. some forums users say to use a 12 charater password and turn off smart connect among other things but at this point i think its something netgear should look into due to the amount of complaints i have found from netgear fourms to even amazon reviews.

Message 6 of 78
Redflagdan
Tutor

To me, this pretty obvious that its a code issue with this release of the firmware.   Every morning I just reboot the router.  

Message 7 of 78
Patlk87
Initiate

I’m also having the same issue with an incorrect password. The router will run perfectly for about a day until all of my WiFi devices disconnect and I start getting “invalid password” messages. Like others have mentioned, rebooting the router fixes the issue for all of my devices for about a day until it starts happening all over again. I’m really hoping they release new firmware ASAP to fix this issue that everyone is having.
Message 8 of 78
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Everyone, 

Thanks for taking the time to post your issue. Our engineering team is aware of the issue and is working to get the issue addressed as soon as possible. I'll provide an update to the thread as soon as I can. 

~Christian

Message 9 of 78
Iceman75229
Guide

Thank you Christian. I am also having this same issue and purchased my router about a week ago. It’s been working great other than this seemingly daily issue. . If you could include me in the fix, I’d really appreciate it. I don’t know if this helps, but most of my disconnects appear to be happening in the evening hours.
Message 10 of 78
Thom42
Tutor

Hi Christian,

I am having this issue also since the last upgrade.  I realized that I don't actually have to reset router.  If I go to wifi settings and click Accept, the router pauses for a few seconds and then the wifi cpnnections come back up.  I've only had to do a full reset once.  Please keep me in the loop for any fix.

Thanks,

Message 11 of 78
Jasonin602
Initiate

I am also having the same issue this is my second rax120 and I’m about ready to package it and return to the store have there been any fixes?
Message 12 of 78
dmystic1
Apprentice

@Jasonin602 wrote:
I am also having the same issue this is my second rax120 and I’m about ready to package it and return to the store have there been any fixes?

You don't need to return it, just use the prior firmware.

Message 13 of 78
Jcarter8432
Initiate

Same issue over here as well. Any news on an update?
Message 14 of 78
Patlk87
Initiate

I noticed that they pulled firmware V1.0.1.90 from the website. I guess the current solution is for us to downgrade to V1.0.0.84?
Message 15 of 78
Redflagdan
Tutor

Support had me downgrade to V1.0.0.84.   Not a single problem since.  

Message 16 of 78
Iceman75229
Guide

Just downgraded firmware to v1.0.0.84.  Fingers crossed I also have no further issues.  Thanks for the support & advice everyone!

Message 17 of 78
arjewell23
Star

I'm having the same issue.  My brother called me and asked me what the heck was going on because I suggested this router.  Not too happy after spending that much money!  I really hope they can get this fixed.  I rolled back the firmware as well and it is working again.  

Message 18 of 78
Mack_Luster
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue, won't affect every device at the same time, seems to hit my Pixel 2 XL and Nvidia Shield most often. A reboot will fix it temporarily. Currently using firmware V1.0.1.90

Message 19 of 78
Iceman75229
Guide

Go to the netgear support site for the rax120 and download firmware version 1.0.0.84 (it’ll be the most current available as of a couple days ago). Download it, install on your router and your problems will stop.
Message 20 of 78
VelkySyr
Tutor

Hi all!!  I know there are a lot of replies about the same issue, and see that downgrading the firmware is the potential solution.

But I did want to post as well that I am having the same issue just so that tech support has some idea, however non-scientific, of how many people have experienced this.  Otherwise, this is an awesome router,

Message 21 of 78
vlxiim
Tutor

Same problem here downgraded from V1.0.1.90 to V1.0.1.84. Is there any update to this issue. Do we have an ETA for the firmware release. With the RAX120 and three X6S extenders I have a lot of money invested in this network and my return window is coming up. 

Message 22 of 78
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Everyone, 

We have a trial firmware available that may help resolve your issue. Please send me a message if you would like to receive the trial firmware. 

Respectfully,

Christian 

Message 23 of 78
Redtulips7
Luminary

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

We have a trial firmware available that may help resolve your issue. Please send me a message if you would like to receive the trial firmware. 

Respectfully,

Christian 

Why Netgear why??? Why the hell this Router exhibits so much issue? Why every FW Netgear released in past became problematic?? 

Message 24 of 78
dmystic1
Apprentice

Running trial firmware.  Initial issue, device list no longer showing devices.

Message 25 of 78
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7