× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX 120 authentication issues

Retired_Member
Not applicable

thats not cool.  Was about to ask to run it.  I am on .90 without any issues.  Router uptime is 7 days and a few hours now.

Message 26 of 78
Jazzygecko
Tutor

Just throwing my hat in here for the same issues.  On 1.0.1.90 as well currently.  I think that version fixed an AX issue with my Samsung Galaxy S10+ getting WiFi 6, so I'm hesitant to downgrade. Willing to try the newest version they just came out with and have messaged Christian.  I tried to trouble shoot this issue locally for about 4 hours..changed password, removed devices, etc. and am somewhat relieved to see that others are having the same issues.  When the wifi does drop and all devices lose access, the 5G stream seems to stay up, just the 2.4 drops. But of course almost all smart devices (over 20 lightbulbs for example) only connect to 2.4.  Anyway, will give feedback if I'm able to get and upgrade to new firmware beyond .90, otherwise I'll be downgrading to .84.  Thanks.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 27 of 78
JCseh
Initiate

I'm having the same issues with my RAX120 that's about 2 months old. I've been battling this for a few weeks.

I just managed to stumble on this thread, so I hope whatever case is open for this issue, I can be added as a customer as well. 

My router shipped with V1.0.1.90 and I've tried re-applying without luck. I continuosly have to reboot my router, which is unacceptable. I was just watching HULU on one TV and playing on a wirelessly connected desktop on another TV, and my PC disconnects, "Attempting to Authenticate" and the HULU is unaffected.

Spent a good 30 minutes just making sure this wasn't a fluke as a lot of our mobile devices have had the same error the past two weeks. After disabling the wireless on the desktop, moving to another USB port, uninstalling, reinstalling the driver, removing the saved network and trying to reconnect, nothing worked until I reboot the router. All is fine now for anywhere between a few hours to a couple days.

I've opened a case with support since I'm still within that time period, mostly for visibility, and so maybe if this is fixed, I can get the correct firmware. After stumbling on this thread, I've downgraded to V1.0.0.84 as well, and we'll see how it goes.

Message 28 of 78
etrof
Guide

I have the same authentication issues, Nighthawk RAX120 running FW V1.0.1.90

Have to reset router multiple times per day to allow devices to connect properly.

Message 29 of 78
Link1
Aspirant

My router drops certain devices. When I try to log back in it connects but than I start using it the router kicks me off even when other devices are working fine? 

Message 30 of 78
etrof
Guide

That is one of the scenarios I have also seen.

The other day, I was watching Youtube with no problems and then when my family came home later in the day they could not "authenticate" until I reset the router.  It was fine until the following day and I had to reset again.

Message 31 of 78
etrof
Guide

I just installed the V1.0.1.100 "hot fix",  I will report back if the issue goes away....

Message 32 of 78
Thom42
Tutor

Any luck with the hot fix?

Message 33 of 78
etrof
Guide

It has been stable with no authentication problems for 3 days now.

Message 34 of 78
etrof
Guide

Five days running "hot fix", no authentication problems so far...

Message 35 of 78
Thom42
Tutor

Thanks for updates.  I went ahead and loaded the update after your last reply. So three days for me with no further issues.

Message 36 of 78
etrof
Guide

Ten days running with no reboots or authentication problems with "hot fix"

Message 37 of 78
etrof
Guide

Eighteen days running no reboots or authentication problems

Message 38 of 78
garangdhav
Aspirant

Apple TV 4K which fails to reconnect to wifi after being asleep for several hours. I don't recall ever seeing this issue until around the time of the firmware update.
Message 39 of 78
Jcarter8432
Initiate

Same issue with Apple TV 4K. I have multiple, but it only happens on one of them. This was not an issue that occurred prior to FW update or the Hotfix, however.

I have not noticed any other issues since Hotfix.
Message 40 of 78
etrof
Guide

Twenty five days running hot fix, no reboots or authentication problems

Message 41 of 78
Kahless
Aspirant

Not sure if my issue is exactly this. Just this past weekend the network started to have issues. The laptop connected to the router via Ethernet is able to maintain an Internet connection. However, all wireless devices (Apple TV, Sony Bravia 930, HP laptop, iPhones, iPads, Nest) lose Internet access. The devices still show as being connected to the network with full signal strength, but are not able to access Internet content. I am also sometimes unable to connect to the router through the Nighthawk app even though the device shows as being on connected to the network. When I try to access the router inteface through a browser it will throw up a login screen every 30 seconds to a minute and often reject the username and password (even though they are correct and work a few seconds later) and the logs will show a failed authentication. My laptop will also throw an error in every browser saying something like your connection is not private NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID for google.com but then go on to connect after 30-45 seconds.

We have had the ISP check the cable modem and all is fine. So, this seems to be some issue with the router. I've unplugged it and let it sit for 30 seconds or so but that doesn't seem to fix anything. I've not tried a reset or to turn off SmartConnect or AX as of yet. It is running on .90 and I'm not sure when .90 wasa installed on the router.

Message 42 of 78
2dk2c
Aspirant

Router Firmware Version V1.0.1.100

Guest account will not accept any secured mode and any password is wrong.

wpa2, wpa3, nothing works except "security options:none"

I've had the router most of this year but only today did I need a guest-access account.

I want you to notice it's the latest firmware, and rebooting the router/recycling the power do not work.

Smart-connect is not-checked (it's off).

Is there any bromide I've missed?

Message 43 of 78
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello 2dk2c, 

For more info on setting up the guest WiFi network, please refer to page 78 of the user manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX120/RAX120_UM_EN.pdf

Christian 

Message 44 of 78
2dk2c
Aspirant

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello 2dk2c, 

For more info on setting up the guest WiFi network, please refer to page 78 of the user manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX120/RAX120_UM_EN.pdf

Christian 

The very next page says how to set up "none", "wpa2", etc (I'm quoting step 6)

only "None" works on my router, it will refuse all passwords on a guest account.

Message 45 of 78
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello 2dk2c, 

Thanks for confirming. Have you also gotten a chance to factory reset the router and run through the setup again? 

Christian

Message 46 of 78
Killhippie
Prodigy

Just to say I have a guest account with password and it works fine using WPA2 AES, a factory reset is probably whats needed here.

Message 47 of 78
2dk2c
Aspirant

Thank you, yes, it works now.

Message 48 of 78
Dr_Zee
Aspirant

Message 49 of 78
DanielDeep360
Initiate

Same problem here, i just bought the RAX35 on black friday and since installing its been a headache. once connected it worked lke a charm. but if i leave my house and come back  darn thing wont let me rejoin the network even if i have my devices set to autojoin, it will then proseed

to tell me that i have the wrong password for the router, wich i wrote down by the way.

im really considering returning this product.

it was supposed to resolve issues adn its causing more.

Message 50 of 78
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7