× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX 120 authentication issues

Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DanielDeep360, 

Welcome to the community! Would you mind providing me with the firmware version your router is currently on? I have included the release notes of the latest firmware version below. Also, does the issue occur on all wireless devices in your home or only to a few? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061320/RAX35-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-62

I would also suggest that you start a new topic with your model number and the issue(s) you're experiencing as you have commented on a community thread that is relating to a RAX120. 

Best,

Christian 

Message 51 of 78
Jghacker
Initiate

Same problem came up again after installing most current firmware a few days ago. Having to reboot to allow the defined WPA2 password to log into Wi-Fi. I am definitely disabling auto-updates. Can’t trust firmware releases anymore. As I am standing here rebooting the router for the 5th time in 3 days, no I don’t have the firmware version number. It’s whatever was available as most current earlier this afternoon when I checked to see if a newer fix was released.

This is **bleep** and Netgear, you know it. We aren’t your beta testers. We paid a lot for this router.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 52 of 78
vlxiim
Tutor

I too am having issues. My router did an auto update to the newest firmware and I'm having connection issues. I'm finding my Wi-Fi devices are connected but I have no communication or Internet. Restarting the router solves this problem. I am not happy that Netgear keep putting bugs in there firmware. Hay Netgear I thought you guys do this kind of network stuff? I going to take it off auto update and put the old hot fix back in. Get with it Netgear. 

Message 53 of 78
Killhippie
Prodigy

No issues here, tbh letting it auto update is not the best thing to do, manually update then factor reset. You have to remember these are bleeding edge routers, so a factory reset is really worth it. I would suggest turning auto update off too, and check once a week manually. Also dont update using the Nighhawk app, as some have had issues that way, its best to update via the GUI though a wired connection. My routers been up since the release of 1.0.1.114 and I'm not seeing the issues you have, the only thing I can think of is I factory reset the router. Rebooting it is not enough. Hope that helps.

Message 54 of 78
Killhippie
Prodigy

Also since the Hotfix there has been 1.0.1.108 and now 1.0.1.114, also soon a new Hotfix will be incoming for a TLS certificate vulnerability. I would definitely factory reset your router. As I said I have 20 wireless devices and no issues like yours.
Message 55 of 78
Dr_Zee
Aspirant

Updated to 1.0.1.118 via the app. Went well.
Message 56 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

Thanks for taking the time to post your issue. Our engineering team is aware of the issue and is working to get the issue addressed as soon as possible. I'll provide an update to the thread as soon as I can. 

~Christian

It's been nearly a year. I'm getting this issue right now. Any word on when this will be fixed? Because a router this expensive should not have problems of this magnitude take so long to be fixed. Should I stop buying Netgear products in the future?

Message 57 of 78
JCseh
Initiate

Agreed. It's absolutely infuriating to have upgraded my aging device to something this expensive, to run into this kinda of issue and have to wait this long for corrective measures. My old Nighthawk was just getting on in years. This one just doesn't work. I'd like to get it resolved before just jumping ship at this point.
Message 58 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

@JCseh wrote:
Agreed. It's absolutely infuriating to have upgraded my aging device to something this expensive, to run into this kinda of issue and have to wait this long for corrective measures. My old Nighthawk was just getting on in years. This one just doesn't work. I'd like to get it resolved before just jumping ship at this point.

I've tried QoS off, I've toggled Smart Connect, I've changed the password back and forth, rebooted the router. Nothing works. My phone simply will not connect to the 5GHz band. I keep getting "invalid password" every time I try.

Message 59 of 78
arjewell23
Star

I hate to say it but I purchased an edgerouter er-12 and haven’t had an issue. For WiFi I bought some unifi nano HD’s and again, no issues. This has replaced my RAX-120 setup. Although, I’m stuck with a $500 WiFi router and can’t even sell it for $300. It’s a paper weight on my desk at the moment. I’ve always been a netgear fan but this is too awful to ignore. Moving on!
Message 60 of 78
2dk2c
Aspirant

I get emails every time this thread is written to, 

and so I turned on 5Ghz Wifi to see if I was having problems.

OK, Suddenly the Router, using the .122 firmware (latest) HATES DFS channels, it'll kick out of A DFS channel and red-flag it.

All the DFS channels are forbidden now, and we don't have radar nearby, and I was using channel "100" and its minions for years.

Plus My power is set to "25%" so I don't think I would be bothering any radars, even if I could.

Is this one of those forums where people vent or do they really read this stuff?

Dear sir: DFS has become *much* too sensitive, only lately. Before it was a happy router using Channel 100 (or 112)

Message 61 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

@2dk2c wrote:

I get emails every time this thread is written to, 

and so I turned on 5Ghz Wifi to see if I was having problems.

OK, Suddenly the Router, using the .122 firmware (latest) HATES DFS channels, it'll kick out of A DFS channel and red-flag it.

All the DFS channels are forbidden now, and we don't have radar nearby, and I was using channel "100" and its minions for years.

Plus My power is set to "25%" so I don't think I would be bothering any radars, even if I could.

Is this one of those forums where people vent or do they really read this stuff?

Dear sir: DFS has become *much* too sensitive, only lately. Before it was a happy router using Channel 100 (or 112)

Sorry, can you restate that? I didn't quite understand.

Message 62 of 78
2dk2c
Aspirant

DFS was working fine, NOW it isn't (way too sensitive)

in V1.0.1.122

Sorry if that was unclear.

Restate what, exactly?

Message 63 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

@2dk2c wrote:

DFS was working fine, NOW it isn't (way too sensitive)

in V1.0.1.122

Sorry if that was unclear.

Restate what, exactly?

I don't understand what DFS is, nor anything you said about DFS. Can you explain in more detail, please?

I'm using the latest firmware v 1.0.1.122 if that matters. Everything works great except for one phone that cannot connect to 5GHz. It keeps getting "invalid password" when I try to connect that device to 5 GHz.

Message 64 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

I am using channel 36, which is not a DFS channel and....

Oh crap. I just ran WiFi analyzer, and channel 36 is no longer a good idea. Yipes.

Message 65 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Ok, channel 40 didn't work out either, so I selected a DFS channel (52). Hopefully, this will help my other devices, so thank you for the advice, but the same phone still gets "invalid password" when it attempts to connect to the 5GHz band. What else can I try?

Message 66 of 78
2dk2c
Aspirant

I thought this was (currently) dissing the .122 firmware... If you are unable to log into the router *and* you want to know what *I* think, I'd re-check "Access control" and maybe (for now) switch to wpa2 to see if it helps. use a guest channel for now. Is the channel jumping around, is the strength too low..apologies in advance because you know more than me probably, I'm guessing and plus I can't see what you wrote about 36 and 40 "not being a good idea"

As for DFS: It's a radar thing, the government wants to keep their frequencies rather than move them, and so WiFi is ideally supposed to share, not kick all users off the channel.

I changed routers (to my Linksys wrt1900AC,) and I've been on channel "112" for quite a bit, maybe 15 minutes, 25 minutes...

It isn't easy for me to change routers but I was proving a point, that Lately the RAX120 is way to sensitive vis a vis DFS.

Message 67 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

When I said 36 and 40 were not a good idea, I mean I tried switching the router to those channels, and my phone still could not connect to the 5 GHz band.

And I'm probably not going to switch to WPA2 since that's not secure anymore.

Message 68 of 78
Killhippie
Prodigy

Since your device probably does not support WPA3 and then it will default to WPA2 anyway so there is no difference, some devices don't like the WPA3 flag so try WPA2, if you have a strong password its safe. Most routers still don't support WPA3 so unless you have a very weak Wi-Fi password you will be fine. Use 16 digits and you will be more than safe. When people offer suggestions I would generally try them. My RAX120 is running well and secure on WPA2 using a very complicated 64 digit password, apart from the known attached devices bug.
Message 69 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

The router should handle WPA3. The device in question is a Samsung S20+, which should also be able to handle WPA3.

However, it finally reconnected on its own, and when I used a WiFi analyzer, I noticed that the connection was using WPA2.

So It may very well be that either the router or the phone is not implementing WPA3 correctly. If I get more connection problems in the future, I'll consider disabling WPA3 from the router.

Message 70 of 78
Killhippie
Prodigy

WPA3 has already been hacked so I would not worry to much. In fact it hacked a few times https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/serious-flaws-leave-wpa3-vulnerable-to-hacks-...

Message 71 of 78
avtella
Prodigy

Odd, WPA3 works fine with my mobile devices and also works for my MacBook Pro 16" and my Windows laptops with Intel (8265/9260 and AX200) and Qualcomm (QCA 6174A aka Killer 1535) WiFi cards. It may be an issue with the Galaxy.

Message 72 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Most of the time it works for me, but once in a while, one of the mobile devices will simply not authenticate and I get an "invalid password" error for that device on that band.

Since I switched to WPA2, this stopped happening.

Message 73 of 78
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

@Killhippie wrote:

WPA3 has already been hacked so I would not worry to much. In fact it hacked a few times https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/serious-flaws-leave-wpa3-vulnerable-to-hacks-...

Already? That was fast.

Message 74 of 78
avtella
Prodigy

If I recall that vulnerability was when WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode is used where attackers use a downgrade exploit.

Other exploits are there as well I think but, WPA3 is more useful when using it alone and not in a mixed WPA2/3 mode.

Message 75 of 78
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7