× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX 120 connection issues with devices

jnagator
Guide

RAX 120 connection issues with devices

I recently bought Nighthawk® AX12 RAX120 with firmware n V1.0.0.84. For 2 days everything/all devices connected well except for one Netgear wired camera.  Today one of my Nest thermostat is not connecting and my Nest X8000 extender lost internet connection. I had to restart my extender and connection is running again. However Nest not connecting and camera still not connecting to new router.   

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
jnagator
Guide

Re: RAX 120 connection issues with devices

Update:

I switched AX off and the 2nd Gen Nest Thermo connected finally.  However my Arlo/Netgear wired camera still will not connect to hub.  The wireless Arlo cameras connect.  

My S10+ is getting the same speeds with AX off as with it on - go figure - about 900 Mbps both down/up.  So far 2 good days without internet losing connection.

Message 2 of 6
jnagator
Guide

Update 9/30:

So to test the router again I have enabled AX and all my devices are working so far.  My wired Arlo camera connected so has my Gen2 Nest Thermo with AX enabled.  Let's see how stable everything runs.  I suspect my X8000 extender will be the true test as most devices in my house connect to that vs direct to RAX120.  I have a AX PCIE card to put into a desktop so will see how that goes.  Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Message 3 of 6
jnagator
Guide

10/1 Update:

So the PCI-E AX card in my desktop connects on WiFi 6 but the connection keeps disconnecting while in use.  The speeds are also in the 200 Mbps range vs anywhere near true AX levels...I thought this was going to be more reliable, faster connection.  So when is the next firmware coming?  I took out a 2 year warranty so I can return this router anytime if things don't improve.

Message 4 of 6
LeeH
Prodigy

Mine did a firmware update when I first installed it.  It had some connection issues on the 5G network.  I did the same thing I have done wth the R7000 and R7900 before it.  Press and hold in the reset button on the back of the router for about ten seconds.  I recommend you do this every time the firmware is updated or changed.  This almost always has fixed my connection issues.

I also changed my 5G band to a clear channel in the spectrum.  There was another network using the same channel that the RAX120 uses as a default.  I sometimes get less than 900+ mbps but have found that rebooting my laptop and not the RAX120  fixes the problem.  I think the Intel driver is at fault and hope that they fix it soon.

Message 5 of 6
jnagator
Guide

@LeeH wrote:

Mine did a firmware update when I first installed it.  It had some connection issues on the 5G network.  I did the same thing I have done wth the R7000 and R7900 before it.  Press and hold in the reset button on the back of the router for about ten seconds.  I recommend you do this every time the firmware is updated or changed.  This almost always has fixed my connection issues.

I also changed my 5G band to a clear channel in the spectrum.  There was another network using the same channel that the RAX120 uses as a default.  I sometimes get less than 900+ mbps but have found that rebooting my laptop and not the RAX120  fixes the problem.  I think the Intel driver is at fault and hope that they fix it soon.

Thanks, I will give it a try as the first time I got the router it updated fresh to .84 but I didn't hit the reset button and ran the router like a new.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7