× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX 120 does not support USB printers?

mannag
Aspirant

RAX 120 does not support USB printers?

Just got off the phone with Netgear support and was told the RAX 120 does not support USB connected printers. So the USB ports on the router are for storage devices only? Why is this?  It would have been nice to know this before I spent $500 on it.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
rinthos
Luminary

Yeah in order for a router to support printers via USB the router needs drivers for the printer to be installed on it, and a print server service running. USB drivers for printers tend to be non-standard, but regardless neither exist on your RAX120.
Also usb printers configured through cheap solutions like routers that have print services are known to be very problematic.
I'd recommend looking for a LAN card or wireless adapter for your printer which can allow it to connect to your network.

Netgear on these models only supports USB storage but again it has been a limited implementation.

https://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985/~/readyshare-usb-drives-compatibility-list
Message 2 of 4
mannag
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I had no problems using the USB printer with the R6400, the printer worked fine and connected through the Netgear USB Control Center. Do you know why would they not make this an oprtion on the RAX 120?

Thanks again for the help.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

it's not included. I don't think it's advertised either as a feature.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7