× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX 120 firmware update not seen

MMargolis
Tutor

RAX 120 firmware update not seen

So I received an email notifying me of a router firmware update to version v1.0.0.1.118.:  I am in fact running v1.0.0.1.114

I quote, "

We've Enhanced Your Product's Security.
Please Update to the Latest Firmware.
Your products have the following updates available:

RAX120
Learn how to update here
Latest firmware version: v1.0.1.118
Use the Nighthawk App to update your firmware

"

it directs the EU to use the app to update.  When I run the app the system reports your firmware is up to date.   Just in case there may have been a glitch in the app, I logged into the router and had it do a firmware update check.  It too reported it is up to date...

My hope is someone form NG can advise.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
microchip8
Master

Re: RAX 120 firmware update not seen

Probably not yet up on the update server. Unless NG has pulled it back for issues. They do that sometimes

Message 2 of 16
Sal_R
Aspirant

Im having the same issue with the update not showing and im assuming this update is to fix the issue with the router randomly disconntecting from devices. Which is starting to become very annoying. The only fix I have found so far is to reboot the router everyday.

Message 3 of 16
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's a hot fix so will not be pushed.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120.aspx

download and install via web UI.

Message 4 of 16
Sal_R
Aspirant

Is there a timeline of when an actual update will be released. Non beta?
Message 5 of 16
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

No 

Message 6 of 16
MMargolis
Tutor

@Newfiedrool wrote:

If it is a hotfix and needs to be downloaded, why would they push an Email telling us to use the app update and install?

Message 7 of 16
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Probably an error on their part. 

@MMargolis wrote:

@Newfiedrool wrote:

If it is a hotfix and needs to be downloaded, why would they push an Email telling us to use the app update and install?

Message 8 of 16
Gkalydy
Aspirant

I am having issues daily with my router disconnecting only certain devices and not all. I have the hot fix beta version .118 loaded and it does not fix this issue. Anyone having the same problem and can tell me how to resolve? The app shows the internet as disconnected but when you run the speed test the internet is found.
Message 9 of 16
MMargolis
Tutor

The hotfix has acctually made my issue worse... I now need to see if I can fin ver. 114 cause 118bis horrific.
Message 10 of 16
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Try reinstalling it again and do a reset. 

Message 11 of 16
PigletRider
Apprentice

@MMargolis wrote:
The hotfix has acctually made my issue worse... I now need to see if I can fin ver. 114 cause 118bis horrific.

I had/have the exact same experience.  Unfortunately, when I went back to 114, the problems (Wifi and Ethernet failing/disconnecting) were still there.   114 had been fairly stable for me, many weeks.  After twiddling/debugging 114 for a time, I went back to 118.  (If I'm going to spend my valuable time debugging issues, I'm going to do it on the latest release.)

On 118, I twiddled with the settings mentioned in this thread and the RAX80 thread.  When I got around to disabling QoS, there was NO Internet connectivity whatsoever, not even for a brief time.  I then re-enabled QoS and got connectivity back.  (This is where I'm at now as I compose this post.)

I don't understand how Netgear can allow this to happen.  Their customers have to concoct a "witches brew" of magic parameter combinations and settings JUST TO STAY CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.  What works for some may not work for others.  I'm not talking about any of the fancy stuff.  I'm talking about direct Ethernet connections failing, requiring a reboot to get the packets flowing again.  Then, a few hours later (or less), the same thing.  (Yes.  I have a Wifi analyzer.  For the Wifi connections, I'm literally the only one on channel 153.  For a time, the speed dropped from 240Mbps down to just 25Mbps, without QoS enabled.  I was forced to re-enable it.)

This router (and the RAX80) fails its most basic job, connect my devices to the Internet, and keep them connected.

I'm embarrased to say how much I paid for this RAX120.  I've purchased another router (AC) for under $100.00, as a contingency.  I'm not purchasing another Netgear product.  I'm done.  This is just too much work for basic, consistent Internet connectivity.

Message 12 of 16
MMargolis
Tutor

I am soo right on board.. this is Sheit.. This is my first and very likely my last netgear.. I have never had such issues. thank G-d for Mag-Moss laws..

I will try a few things, but this is unacceptable. 

Message 13 of 16
Gkalydy
Aspirant

I contacted NETGEAR for support on what clearly is an issue with firmware and they requested that I pay $50 for three month of support to troubleshoot their problem. Person I was on the phone clearly had no clue what they were talking about and looking at screens to tell them what to say. Not what I expect from a company that I paid way too much for
Message 14 of 16
MMargolis
Tutor

The reinstall of 118.. seems to have worked in terms of keeping it status quo. I did have one point where network traffic stopped.. but I didnt have time to review isp and router at that time.

The devices that were showing connected but not getting internet seems to have abated too after the 2nd attempt at reinstalling ver 118.

Ill post a follow up in a day or so.
Message 15 of 16
MMargolis
Tutor

nope failed...all mobile devices show as connected, but no internet.  it is acting like the lease expires and then it doesnt renew.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7