× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX 20 bug (internet works, but LED is solid amber)

FPSUsername
Aspirant

RAX 20 bug (internet works, but LED is solid amber)

Hello,

I've experienced this odd bug where the internet status LED is stuck on solid amber while the internet works fine (after the network hickup it experienced).

It's very very unfortunate that Netgear doesn't allow me to create a support ticket to report this bug (since you only get mediocre support for a year or something like that)

Here is a picture showing that the LED is solid amber (it turned out a bit red on the picture, but you'll get the idea).

PXL_20210414_095640791.jpg

The web interface says that everything is fine.

This is often not true. It can't properly detect a network issue. For example, if I unplug the WAN cable, the webpage will still report that everything is fine, however, the router LEDs will indicate that there's something wrong.

Anyway, in this case, internet works fine.

Screenshot 2021-04-14 123129.png

The only workaround is to reboot the router by replugging it, since the power button doesn't do anything (pressing it doesn't turn off the router and the router automatically boots when the power is plugged in, so I have no idea why it's there in the first place).

On a sidenote, the "Model" option upon creating this post does not contain the RAX 20 (aka the AX1800). Perhaps it needs to be added, or Netgear never had the intention to support this product in the first place.

Message 1 of 10
FPSUsername
Aspirant

Re: RAX 20 bug (internet works, but LED is solid amber)

Apparently the pictures didn't get uploaded correctly. Here they are. (If only it was possible to edit a post, like on every other forum)

Router LED statusRouter LED status

Web interface

Message 2 of 10
FPSUsername
Aspirant

Great, it's a mess. Here's a link to the pictures hosted on imgur.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

you're pulling a 192.168.2.* address. 

What modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 4 of 10
FPSUsername
Aspirant

It is a KPN Box 12 modem/router from my ISP.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

That device is a gateway/router all in one device. 

do you have it in passthrough/modem only mode? 

Or the netgear in access point mode? 

Or the netgears IP address in the KPN's DMZ?

Otherwise you're in a double nat. It can cause issues with the led/internet status. 

Message 6 of 10
FPSUsername
Aspirant

Unfortunately, the modem has no option for a modem only mode, and from the KPN forums, it's not an option either.

I disabled the modem's WiFi and reserved the internal IP for the netgear router. Only the netgear router is connected to the modem. The WiFi TV box is connected to the netgear router (gladly it works fine).

The netgear router is not in AP mode (since I don't want to deal with the ISP modem for port forwarding and what not).

Message 7 of 10
FPSUsername
Aspirant

Oh, the netgear router is indeed in the modem's DMZ.

I enabled it because ports will be forwarded that way (or at least, I thought so).

I'll disable it and see if everything still works fine.

Message 8 of 10
FPSUsername
Aspirant

As I thought, I'd have to manually forward the port twice (once in the router and once in the modem). With DMZ enabled, I didn't have to.

Seems like it's in a double NAT from my understanding with DMZ enabled. Not so nice.

Any workaround for this that doesn't involve me using AP mode or disabling DMZ?

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Its challenging when ISP supplied devices don't function as they should. 

I've seen to many gateways that don't properly work in passthrough mode. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7