× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX 200 slow LAN and Wireless

mlotov83
Star

Called this morning and asked to be transferred to a L2 or L3 tech. They put me on hold and after reading all of my previous case files, they offered an RMA. I'll update again once I get my new unit to see if the problem was isolated to bad hardware and firmeware on my first unit. 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 26 of 53

This night a new firmware came out, but does not solve the problem.

Here is the message I sent to netgear support, updating my case:

"Hi, the new firmware V1.0.1.10_1.0.40 does not solve the problem of reduced speed with cable connection. This, even after having reset the router to the factory settings: at the beginning everything is fine, but at the first renewal of the lease or at the first intervention on the settings, the speed is halved again".

Message 27 of 53
mlotov83
Star

I just got home and installed the new firmware. You are currect. Speeds are at half. This did not fix the issue. My RMA unit should be in next Tuesday. Hoping it works as advertised. Will update the group once I get it up and running next week. 

Message 28 of 53
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

did you enable dynamic QoS or traffic meter features?

Message 29 of 53

Yes, but the problem presented itself earlier. Following the instructions I posted at the time, the speed returns to normal, but only for a few hours and as long as the qos is not disabled.

I doubt, in any case, that a new unit can solve the problem, given that we suffer in so many with many different units.
Message 30 of 53
agfagv
Guide

Have had 2 units tried before returning both and the results were all the same. Probablity wise, yes there is a possibility that both turned out to be defective but I wish some of you guys get a differernt result than mine. Especially after paying $600+ premium price. 

Message 31 of 53
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Everyone, 

For those that are reporting issues and would like to work with our support team, please send me a message with your contact info and serial number and I can see if support can reach out to you. 

Respectfully,

Christian 

Message 32 of 53
mlotov83
Star

Just received my RMA unit. Will install it and get it up and running. Will update the group with my results. 

Message 33 of 53
mlotov83
Star

RMA router up and running. So far so good. I'm recieving LAN speeds of 800mb down. It's up almost 350mb from replacement router. It came with original launch firmware installed. Against my gut I updated the firmware and so far results are the same. 

AX - on

Smart Connect - On

QOS - off

Wifi speeds on iPhone 11 Pro Max - 414mb - I am a dissapointed at these speeds as I thought this speeds would be higher since the phone supports new wifi AX signal. Maybe someone can provide somehelp. 22 devices connected to the router. 

All connections are stable. I'll update again in a couple of days to see if these tests hold true. 

Message 34 of 53

@mlotov83 wrote:

RMA router up and running. So far so good. I'm recieving LAN speeds of 800mb down. It's up almost 350mb from replacement router. It came with original launch firmware installed. Against my gut I updated the firmware and so far results are the same. 

AX - on

Smart Connect - On

QOS - off

Wifi speeds on iPhone 11 Pro Max - 414mb - I am a dissapointed at these speeds as I thought this speeds would be higher since the phone supports new wifi AX signal. Maybe someone can provide somehelp. 22 devices connected to the router. 

All connections are stable. I'll update again in a couple of days to see if these tests hold true. 

Try to change some settings (and then maybe bring it back to the original setup) and check if the cable speed remains high or decreases.

Message 35 of 53
Matrix7
Tutor

My RAX200 has the latest firmware and 25 devices connected wirelessly. Having major issues with speeds and rebooting for no reason. what's Netgear plan to fix these issues.

Message 36 of 53
mlotov83
Star

Hate to say it folks, but 6hrs later, this router is performing just as the unit it replaced. LAN speeds have dropped to under 400mbs. This is annoying and a total waste of my time @netgear . Speed test through router is getting download speeds of 800mbs but it is not passing it through again. Wifi at 280-300mbs on iphone 11 pro. 

Can I please get a refund for both router and my EAX80 I purchased please.

Message 37 of 53
GristlyBear
Tutor

Sorry, but I gave up and returned my unit after it took over 48 hours for anyone at Netgear L2 to reach out to me. It's just not worthwhile suffering with a hobbled network hoping that you guys figure out what the bugs are.

The RAX200 should have had a process on par with the RAX120 or faster. Perhaps it's a bigger design flaw than just a firmware issue.

Message 38 of 53
Matrix7
Tutor

After spending many hours working with support and reading for any possible solutions I finally decided to return it and switching to a different brand. 

Message 39 of 53
mlotov83
Star

I don't have any instability issues as others have reported. All network divices are on and working properly. I am however still experiencing slower LAN speeds of 600-700mbs down vs the 1gig plan I should be getting. This is much improved over the older unit which was only getting 300-400. I have an open ticket with a L2 tech and they are working with the engineers for a fix. I received an update this week that they have yet to find a resolution. 

Message 40 of 53
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Seems this has been a bad year for early adopters... I normally don't mine minor bugs but this year new products have been shipping with basic functionality completely broken... I guess I will just start waiting longer to buy new stuff... I can't afford to waste what little money I have on broken products. I have had problems with RAX80 and was hoping RAX200 would be better but seems to have same issues on both devices.

Message 41 of 53
SS460
Aspirant

I, too, had been experiencing decreased router wireless speeds, 350 mbps, instead of the 850 mbps that I had initially experienced. I had my ISP confirm the signal coming to my modem in the house was good with an in-home technician visit. My gigabit service was 1000-1100 mbps at the modem. Several modem/router reboot cycles did nothing to increase router wireless speeds. I noticed the decreased speeds after two firmware updates the occurred 3-4 weeks ago. Another firmware update last week also did nothing to increase speeds. I was going to do the factory reset and then install the initial firmware. However, after the factory reset and its current firmware, my speeds went back to 850 mbps. After day 2 of the factory reset, everything is still speedy.
Message 42 of 53
ddiosdado
Initiate

I recently purchased and set up the RAX200 this weekend and have already come across the same issues. I want to make sure I understood you correctly...

You did the factory reset, then upgraded to the most recent firmware and haven't had issues since?

Message 43 of 53
SS460
Aspirant

Set up the router and upgrade the firmware to the latest version. Perform a factory reset. The router should still have the latest firmware, but all of the settings should revert back to defaults. Adjust the router’s settings, as needed. The router should be acting normalL at this point.
Message 44 of 53
ddiosdado
Initiate

Followed the steps stated. Did not work for me. My download speed is still at 400+Mbps but my upload is at 925+Mbps

AT&T shows their modem getting 900+Mbps speeds up and down

Nighthawk app speed test show about the same.

I really want this router to work.
Message 45 of 53
Tofu101
Star

I'm dealing with the same issues.  Paying for 1.5G and receiving 200-300 MBPS via 5G wifi stream.  Disconnected all attached and connected devces to no avail.  The RAX200 is a piece of garbage.  Back to Amazon you go!

Message 46 of 53
MercerNYC
Tutor

Just purchased this unit from Amazon (arrived today) and I've spent most of the day configuring, testing, tuning, and bouncing but I'm still encountering similar slowness reported by others, though less pronounced. My ISP service is 1Gbps - verified w/ the QoS speed test and also cabling in via ethernet, but the best I can squeeze out of the wifi router connection is 640Mbps... at 4am when the family's sleeping, though on average it's closer to 550-590Mbps (even with Killer's app config giving highest priority to chrome and FF for downloads).

Unlike others, I can only reach this speed if I *disable* QoS. If QoS is enabled, download rate drops to around 520Mbps (max) but closer to 350-450 on average - irrespective of dynamic or manually entered (940mbps download/45 upload) - which is not much better than my original ISP/cable co-provided wifi router. MU-MIMO is enabled "just in case" (it helps balance loads) but I see no major lift in speed. 

I have not tried fiddling with attached device priority after enabling dynamic QoS/speedtest yet, but for $600 I really shouldn't have to. I'm still on the fence as to whether a 50-60% speed increase is worth it. I could live with a consistent 700Mbps - double my old router's speed - but this is not the case.

S/N: 5VC39A7KA03E1

Router Firmware: V1.0.1.12_1.0.41

Machine (or the most important one):Dell 7590 (2TB SSD/32GB RAM) / Killer Wifi 6 AX1650x 

Distance: 30 feet/signal passes through 2 (dry)walls

Please advise. 

Thanks,

M

Message 47 of 53
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MercerNYC wrote:

Just purchased this unit from Amazon (arrived today) and I've spent most of the day configuring, testing, tuning, and bouncing but I'm still encountering similar slowness reported by others, though less pronounced. My ISP service is 1Gbps - verified w/ the QoS speed test and also cabling in via ethernet, but the best I can squeeze out of the wifi router connection is 640Mbps... at 4am when the family's sleeping, though on average it's closer to 550-590Mbps (even with Killer's app config giving highest priority to chrome and FF for downloads).

Unlike others, I can only reach this speed if I *disable* QoS. If QoS is enabled, download rate drops to around 520Mbps (max) but closer to 350-450 on average - irrespective of dynamic or manually entered (940mbps download/45 upload) - which is not much better than my original ISP/cable co-provided wifi router. MU-MIMO is enabled "just in case" (it helps balance loads) but I see no major lift in speed. 

I have not tried fiddling with attached device priority after enabling dynamic QoS/speedtest yet, but for $600 I really shouldn't have to. I'm still on the fence as to whether a 50-60% speed increase is worth it. I could live with a consistent 700Mbps - double my old router's speed - but this is not the case.

S/N: 5VC39A7KA03E1

Router Firmware: V1.0.1.12_1.0.41

Machine (or the most important one):Dell 7590 (2TB SSD/32GB RAM) / Killer Wifi 6 AX1650x 

Distance: 30 feet/signal passes through 2 (dry)walls

Please advise. 

Thanks,

M

I am getting about 450Mbps to 550Mbps on the RX80 on 5GHz with 5 devices... most in standby. I was getting 700 to 800Mbps back in September but something changed. Not sure about RAX200, but I know they use same chipset so may be same issue.

It seems to be related to QoS still... before I got 700 to 800Mbps with it off. Now with it off I barely get 300 but with it on I get 450 to 550. Not sure what's going on with RAX80... seems RAX200 has similar issue also. Maybe they are close to fixing it since QoS definitely changed on latest firmware. 

On Ethernet I am getting 940Mbps... I would like to see 800Mbps on WiFi again so hopefully they fix RAX80 and 200 issues.

Message 48 of 53
JackdawFool
Tutor

I think I've had the same problem as a number here... Took the RAX200 out of the box, configured all my settings (reserved addresses, forwarding rules, DDNS, usb storage... don't use QoS and don't have it enabled) and I was getting 945mbps down on my 1gig connection as tested via my wired pc. I found wireless speeds to be lacking (below 400mbps on my note 10+ with ax when it's a few feet from the router) so I checked and sure enough there was a firmware update available (V1.0.1.12_1.0.41). Updating the firmware made no change to my wireless connection, but seemed to have crushed my wired speeds as they dropped to mid 300s.

Reverting to factory default settings as SS460 suggested restored my wired connection speeds (back to the 940s). I then uploaded the backup I made of my settings, and that caused the wired speeds to be slow again (back to the mid 300s). Repeated the same thing just to be sure... back to factory defaults (good wired speed), applied backup of changes (back to slow speed.) So I went back to factory defaults and manually updated all of my settings again. And that seems to have worked for the wired speeds. All the same settings are applied as what I had in the backup, but I'm getting my 940s down on my wired connection again, now with the latest firmware.

I'm worried after some hours of uptime things will get slow again... We'll see. I disabled auto updating of the firmware to be safe.

FYI, I noticed speeds on the multigig port (when used for internet) are much slower than in the internet port. 

But now I just wish I could do something about the wireless speeds. I'm wondering if a different router might work better...

Message 49 of 53
MercerNYC
Tutor

Update to my original post/response...

I contacted tech support and they recommended some channel adjustments, which I made...but these didn't really have much of an effect after waiting 24 hours like they suggested. After poking around in the Advanced Tab --> Setup --> Wireless Setup area, I was able to get my download speeds up to 800+ Mbps...mainly with the help of the Killer Wifi Control Center app (comes w/ my laptop), which will show you what channels are actually being used by the NG router.

Notes...

1. Speed test apps vary widely... be sure to check several providers/servers, e.g., run it with Sprint, then compare to AT&T, etc. 
  2. Users might also want to read up on DFS / radar channels which I've learned will change automatically if you select channels that are in active use by local radar. For example, my wifi router 5G-2 channel is set to 128, but it gets changed to 149 automatically... no matter what I choose due, apparently, to radar 'hit' detection which i suspect can slow things down. I've suggested to NetGear that they should include radar hits in the logs to see what channels are actively being used by airports/radar nearby. This way, users can go back and pick channels that aren't constantly getting changed automatically per the DFS FCC regulation/spec. I've read several blogs recommending non-DFS channels (36-48 and 149-165) unless you have a congested 5 GHz environment.
  3. DFS channels (informational):
    U-NII-1 Band: Channels 36 – 48,  5170 – 5250Mhz
    U-NII-2A Band (DFS): Channels 52 – 64, 5250 – 5330MHz <-- I manually set to 56 (and seems to stick/remain stable)
    U-NII-2C Band (DFS): Channels 100 – 140, 5490 – 5710Mhz
    U-NII-3 Band: Channels 149 – 165 5735 – 5835 <-- 149, where the RAX200 always bumps me for 5G-2
  4. If you live in an urban area or, worse, a major city in an apartment building, it's possible others are using the same channels you are. The only way to see this is with a good Wifi monitoring app...in my case, Killer Control Center shows me everyone else's SSID, channels, bandwidth, and signal strength.I then try to pick the channel(s) no one else is using
  5. What isn't immediately obvious in the Advanced Tab --> Setup --> Wireless Setup panel is that not all channels are availble if you select Mode "Up to 4800 Mbps". So, if you set to channel 161, you'll see the next dropdown change to "Up to 2400". The new/young NG rep I spoke to didn't know these dropdowns were linked and that the channel you pick determines the max mode, e.g., "Up to 2400mbps" or "Up to 4800Mbps"

So, my final settings, in case it helps anyone else...

Advanced Tab --> Setup --> QoS Setup

QoS: Off

Advanced Tab --> Setup --> Wireless Setup

Enable AX: True/Enabled

Wireless Network 2.4Ghz

Channel: Auto

Mode: Up to 1200 Mbps

Wireless Network 5G-1

Channel: 56

Mode: Up to 4800 Mbps

Wireless Network 5G-2

Channel: 128 <-- but 149 actually being used according to Killer Control Center. So it looks like this is auto-set

Mode: Up to 4800 Mbps <-- this should read "Up to 2400" based on the ACTUAL channel used (149) since, the only way I can see channel 149 in the prior Channel dropdown is if I change this to "Up to 2400". Play with these two options. Not sure if this is a bug since it doesn't reflect what's actually being used

Advanced Tab --> Advanced Setup --> Wireless Settings

Scroll down... all checkboxes towards the bottom under "WPS Settings" are enabled/checked,

EXCEPT "Enable AIRTIME FAIRNESS" (disable/uncheck) and "use other operations mode" (disable/uncheck)

...then wait a day and re-check your download speeds

Good luck,

M

Message 50 of 53
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 52 replies
  • 34 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7