× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX 43 Connected to router but no internet connection

CabinetMaker
Initiate

RAX 43 Connected to router but no internet connection

Hi guys. 

I'm at end of my wits. Pushing up a glass jar up my ***hole sounds more enjoyable than dealing with this router.

The problem is as follow: 

I'm trying to swap my old router out for this new one (Nighthawk RAX43).

Me thinking just plug the new one in and setup it like that was too optimistic.

My internet works as follows. Its a fibre connection from "curb to house". Through the "phone connection" or however it's called, it goes to an NBN modem. (FTTC Network Connection Device.) From the modem, to the router. All very basic. It's an PPPoE over ethernet connection. I hook it up and I can perfectly can into the router settings but it just doesn't want the internet to pass through. The old router works fine. 

I've tried power cycling the modem and the new router. I even resetted the modem and chatted with my internet provider.

What I have to do according to them is change the WAN settings to 'must use ethernet WAN'.

Simular to what is described on this page https://kb.netgear.com/29325/How-to-change-D6220-D7000-s-WAN-Preference.

However, I can't find this setting in my own router. The WAN setting of my router does not have this, I believe. 

This is what my own internet provider has, as a guide on the D7000 Model.

https://www.internode.on.net/nodesupport/guides/internet_access/nbn/fttc/netgear_nighthawk_d7000

If anyone knows how or what.. Please help me out. 

(Based in Australia should that matter). 

Thank you for your time. 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CabinetMaker
Initiate

Re: RAX 43 Connected to router but no internet connection

Well I finally got it to work. 

They've made such a F***fest out of the internet here in Australia. 

What I had to do was put the MAC adress as the router ones. So manually put that in. 

Set it to PPoE. Put in your Account name. No passwords.

Connection mode is 'always on'.

Put the settings for IP adress as 'Dynamic Ask from prodiver'. 

Adress domainserver is 'Ask automatically from Provider'.

And here's the trick what it was all about. 

Go to advanced settings. 

Go to VLAN/Bridge settings. 

Check the box of VLAN Tags. 

and depending on your internet provider you have to set the Vlan ID and the Priority.

In my case with Internode is was VLAN tag to 2. and Priority to 0. 

It didn't work because my Internet Provider told me to put Priority on 2. 

So do all that. Unplug the power from your Router and Modem. Do a Power Cycle. Not a Reset. That worked for me. Hopefully it could help someone else. Cheers!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could try doing a search through the forums to see whats worked for some people. 

for example

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Is-the-Nighthawk-RAX80-compatible-...

Message 2 of 5
CabinetMaker
Initiate

Well I finally got it to work. 

What I had to do was put the MAC adress as the router ones. So manually put that in. 

Set it to PPoE. Put in your Account name. No passwords.

Connection mode is 'always on'.

Put the settings for IP adress as 'Dynamic Ask from prodiver'. 

Adress domainserver is 'Ask automatically from Provider'.

And here's the trick what it was all about. 

Go to advanced settings. 

Go to VLAN/Bridge settings. 

Check the box of VLAN Tags. 

and depending on your internet provider you have to set the Vlan ID and the Priority.

In my case with Internode is was VLAN tag to 2. and Priority to 0. 

It didn't work because my Internet Provider told me to put Priority on 2. 

So do all that. Unplug the power from your Router and Modem. Do a Power Cycle. Not a Reset. That worked for me. Hopefully it could help someone else. Cheers!

Message 3 of 5

@CabinetMaker wrote:

You mean NBN?

It seems to be the devil's plaything.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk RAX WiFi 6 Router products.  Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH router products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum.  Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 

Thank you.

@CabinetMaker wrote:

Hi guys. 

I'm at end of my wits. Pushing up a glass jar up my ***hole sounds more enjoyable than dealing with this router.

The problem is as follow: 

I'm trying to swap my old router out for this new one (Nighthawk RAX43).

Me thinking just plug the new one in and setup it like that was too optimistic.

My internet works as follows. Its a fibre connection from "curb to house". Through the "phone connection" or however it's called, it goes to an NBN modem. (FTTC Network Connection Device.) From the modem, to the router. All very basic. It's an PPPoE over ethernet connection. I hook it up and I can perfectly can into the router settings but it just doesn't want the internet to pass through. The old router works fine. 

I've tried power cycling the modem and the new router. I even resetted the modem and chatted with my internet provider.

What I have to do according to them is change the WAN settings to 'must use ethernet WAN'.

Simular to what is described on this page https://kb.netgear.com/29325/How-to-change-D6220-D7000-s-WAN-Preference.

However, I can't find this setting in my own router. The WAN setting of my router does not have this, I believe. 

This is what my own internet provider has, as a guide on the D7000 Model.

https://www.internode.on.net/nodesupport/guides/internet_access/nbn/fttc/netgear_nighthawk_d7000

If anyone knows how or what.. Please help me out. 

(Based in Australia should that matter). 

Thank you for your time. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7