× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX 80 router is not accepting latest firmware upgrade (1.0.3.106)

Sevenfeet
Tutor

RAX 80 router is not accepting latest firmware upgrade (1.0.3.106)

The recently published firmware update for the RAX80 Wifi router (1.0.3.106) won't work on the router.  If you ask it to download it directly, it fails with a GUI problem. If you download it from netgear.com, the router complains that it's the wrong upgrade.

Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Sevenfeet, 

Would you mind letting me know if it fails when you attempt to update the firmware using the Nighthawk app?

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
Sevenfeet
Tutor

At the time I wrote this, I could not get it to update either through the web interface or the Nighthawk app. A couple of days later the update did work (I did it through the web interface). So I assumed that something had changed on the server side.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
jcax
Star

Glad to read that you were able to get the upgrade to apply.

I'll offer the following description of my experience with a similar upgrade failure in case someone else is having trouble. I am NOT recommending anyone do what I did, I am just sharing what worked for me.

I do not use the app. Everything was done through the browser interface.

I had applied a beta firmware provided to me by support to address an issue I was having. When the next release came out, my RAX80 would not accept or successfully install, failing as the OP experienced, with a GUI error. I tried a couple times, no change.

I then tried doing a factory reset. When the device restarted and had internet connectivity it went directly to applying the firmware upgrade, which succeeded. I then made configuration changes to the device manually, not by restoring from backup.

I did the configuration from scratch as I had no idea if there was any relationship between something in settings and the firmware update failure. I have no idea if restoring settings from backup following the successful firmware upgrade would have also worked.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7