× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX10 5Ghz signal strength and speed drop after QoS and channel change

RAX10 5Ghz signal strength and speed drop after QoS and channel change

Router: Nighthawk RAX10 4-Stream AX1800 Wifi 6

Firmware: 1.0.10.110

Turned on QoS, with the speed test reporting 329mpbs down, 107.27up and changed the 5Ghz channel from 44 to 36.

Link speed was consistently around 433 and 300 but is now 60ish.

Signal strength was good to excellent, and is now weak.

I turned QoS off and changed the channel back to 44 with no differences, these are the only two settings I remember changing.

After this I turned two of the antennas horizontal (because I am upstairs) and used an usb extension cable to move my usb adapter to the floor, this bumped the signal strength to below good and the link speed to 150 to 100 with dips to 60.

Ooklas speed test was around 162 down and 95 up, and is now 8 down and 95 up, download starts of 60 before dropping to 20 in a second and 10 in the next, upload is still the exact same.

This all happened in the afternoon, 2.4Ghz was unaffected, scanning didn't show neighbours adding more routers or their signal strength increasing.

Please let me know what settings affect the signal strength and speed of 5Ghz, I am almost certain that I must of forgotten a setting, transmission power is still at 100%, wmm is on.

Everybody is already set up so it would be great if I didn't have to reset and annoy everyone.

Thanks yall.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Yes VLAN is enabled.

It's now confirmed that it's not the routers fault.

I started with a clean install of Ubuntu lts without any updates and everything went back to normal.

Signal strength shot up to excellent and link speed is at 433mbps always, speed test reports 130mbps download with 105mbps upload, and this is after I moved it back onto my desk where it is much further with more obstacles in the way than on the floor.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

are you using smart connect on router? 

Have you checked to see if it didn't band steer to the 2.4gh? 

Message 2 of 11

Smart connect is off and network manager reports 5.2Ghz.

I'm going to call quits and just reset, hopefully it's just some setting that I won't touch this time.

Message 3 of 11

Download speeds are still below 10mbps while bandwidth is still at 320mbps down and 100 up.

What I did in order:

Unplugged the ethernet cable from the RAX10 to the fiber terminal

Resetted the terminal

Resetted the RAX10 via browser

Turned off the RAX10

After a few minutes, turned the RAX10 back on

Waited another few minutes then pressed the reset button

Connect and change these settings:

Enable OFDMA for both 2.4 and 5GHZ

Access control turned on and blocked all new devices

SSID broadcast for both turned off

Always use HTTPS

UPnP off

Enabled VLAN/Bridge group

Changed DNS to cloudflare

Signal strength is still dipping below good.

No neighbours are using 5Ghz within range.

For comparison, Steam was peaking at 16.2mBps and hovered around 15.5 yesterday morning, so this is more than 10 times slower.

Message 4 of 11

Connecting via ethernet gets 185mbps down and 105 up.

Signal strength was the same right after resetting, this is without moving the antennas back vertically and without moving the adapter from the floor.

Signal strength is definitely not the same when I move the adapter back to where it was, which is on my desk, it dips to -80dbm whereas previously it was -50dbm.

This is only for 5Ghz, signal strength for 2.4 is still excellent.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

@PlainCardboard wrote:

Download speeds are still below 10mbps while bandwidth is still at 320mbps down and 100 up.

I don't get what you mean by this statement. 

What modem/gateway are you connecting to? 

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

5ghz signal will drop off faster in terms of distance as well as obstruction. It can't broadcast as far or through as much materials at 2.4ghz

Message 7 of 11

PC -> RAX10 -> Fiber terminal

https://www.chorus.co.nz/q/model-type-200

The problem is that I was getting a much better signal strength and link speed before, when my usb adapter was on my wooden desk.

After turning the antennas according to Netgears recommendations for vertical broadcasting, as well as moving the usb adapter to the floor, the signal strength and link speed is still slower than before, and not by a little, from 162 consistently to 10 and 4mbps.

Putting the usb adapter back to where it was will give total disconnects and weak signals.

Using all default settings straight from a reset, including name and passwords doesn't make a difference.

But upload speeds are completely unaffected for some reason.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Message 9 of 11

Yes VLAN is enabled.

It's now confirmed that it's not the routers fault.

I started with a clean install of Ubuntu lts without any updates and everything went back to normal.

Signal strength shot up to excellent and link speed is at 433mbps always, speed test reports 130mbps download with 105mbps upload, and this is after I moved it back onto my desk where it is much further with more obstacles in the way than on the floor.

Thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad that fixed it!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation