× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX10 drops signal on both wifi and wired connections

ramesh_iyer
Aspirant

RAX10 drops signal on both wifi and wired connections

I bought the RAX10 model WiFi-6 Dual-Band Router for my home use last weekend, and configured to use it last Sunday. However, I have observed that this router drops signal when connected by LAN cable, as well as over WiFi. In fact, it doesn't connect on my older laptop or phone which operate only on 2.4Ghz, though it connects well on my newer smartphone over the 5Ghz band. When my laptop or older phone connect to this router, they show "limited access" and no data flows. In fact, the connections (wired and wireless) keep dropping and picking up every few minutes. I have sought the help of Netgear Tech Support in India over phone, but they have not been of much help. They just got me to update the firmware to the latest one (V1.0.10.110 from Netgear website) reset the router and reconfigured it twice, with no luck. They even got me to change the channel from Auto to 09 for 2.4Ghz but that didn't help either.

Would appreciate any help I get from those who have used this model of router and have found a fix for the stated issues. Thanks.

P.S.: The Region options for me on this device doesn't list India. It just lists Australia and New Zealand, Europe, Singapore, and Hong Kong. The Netgear Tech Support rep told me to leave it on the default option - Europe.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX10 drops signal on both wifi and wired connections

what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

When you're trying to connect, do your devices "see" the wifi? But just can't connect? Or do they get "connected, no internet" option? 

What region are you devices set in? 

Message 2 of 5
ramesh_iyer
Aspirant

The router is connected to my local ISP over an FTTH or fiber connection.

When I connect older devices like my old laptop or phone they connect but show 'limited access' and there is no data flow. Hence, even though my laptop seemingly connects with "limited access" it's useless and I have to connect it with an ethernet cable to router to be able to get internet access. But, even this link frequently and randomly drops and resumes. Didn't happen in my old Netgear D500 router though

This router comes with regions - Australia & New Zealand, Europe, Singapore, and Hong Kong

The local Tech Support of Netgear has asked me to leave the Region at the default choice of Europe (changing it to any other Region hasn't made any difference though)

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

What ONT is it connected to? 

After the firmware upgrade, did you try factory resetting it? sometimes old settings after upgrades can cause issues

Message 4 of 5
ramesh_iyer
Aspirant

Yes, after the firmware upgrade I reset the router and manually configured it afresh. Even checked with Tech Support of Netgear India. No luck with resolution to issue of connectivity drops over LAN port or WiFi on legacy devices (which have only 2.4Ghz support). Seen some posts in other forums / websites, that Netgear router feature of Smart Connect does seem to have issues and it's advisable to disable the feature and manually configure the SSIDs of both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. I have tried this too. But, am surprised why the router drops connectivity over LAN port too, though intermittently.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7