× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Attached Devices Not Showing All Devices

krestrazh
Tutor

RAX120 Attached Devices Not Showing All Devices

Firmware Version 1.0.1.122 does not show all of the active devices on my network. I downgraded to 1.0.1.118 and everything shows up. In 122, it does not show my work laptop, running Windows 10, but connected to my wifi network as Public network in its settings, nor does it show my new Android TV device. Both devices are getting valid IPs and work fine, they just do not show on the routers Attached Devices. I have tried via the webpage and the app.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello krestrazh,

May you try performing a factory reset on your router and running through the setup assistant again.

Thanks,
Christian 

Message 2 of 21
fcano42
Guide

same issue here.  After upgrading the FW, the list is empty.

Message 3 of 21
fcano42
Guide

Just did a factory reset with the pinhole reset button and then manually reconfigured the router from scratch (no backup restore of settings).  Now the attached device page is working.

Message 4 of 21
krestrazh
Tutor

I also did a factory reset and reconfigured without restoring from backup. While it did make one more device show under Attached Devices, my Android TV device still does not.

Message 5 of 21
krestrazh
Tutor

The current FW seems to cache attached devices. I have had to check my devices individually to verify correct IP addresses. Some devices will say they are connected in Attached Devices when in actuallity they are not or they will not show up at all. The computer I am using right now is not showing in Attached Devices.

Message 6 of 21
soeun
Apprentice

Experiencing the same issue right now. Such a headache. 

Message 7 of 21
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have had the same issue with devices not appearing and also the page being blank, no edit or refesh showing up either. I have noticed the less devices show the more chanhe you have of the screen showing properly. I have 11 devices using DHCP reservation, if I take the number down to say 4 then a attach devices shows up fine, as I turn them back on the screen goes blank again. Odd thing is it didnt do this at the beginning, also CPU useage goes up a lot more on  this firmware, and I am not using Bitdefender at all. I never downloaded it when the window to install it appears. I think this is some kind of bug as all is great in .118. It has to firmware releated otherwise turning off devices would not make the attached window show icons and also the refresh and edit buttons. Very odd. Can you pass this on to Engineering?

Message 8 of 21
kc6108
Luminary

After upgrading to 1.0.1.122 my Attached Devices page is showing blank as well. Same for the Nighthawk app. The number of devices on both the website and app are populated.

I tried performing a factory reset after a few days, but am seeing the same results as above. It's been over 24 hours since I performed the factory reset. I thought it may take a little time for the information to populate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's probably something to do with my particular setup. Here are some specifics of my setup:

1. using 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 under Internet Setup,

2. turning on AX, OFDMA, and Smart Connect under Wireless Setup,

3. customizing and turning on the 2.4GHz Guest Network,

4. changing my subnet from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.75.x under LAN Setup,

5. changing the device name to 'RAX120' vs 'usbshare' under ReadySHARE Storage -> Advancing Settings,

6. updating the time zone to 'Central Time' and enabling daylight savings time under NTP Settings,

7. adding 3 customized port forwarding services and enabling them under Port Forwarding,

8. enabling a Netgear DDNS under Dynamic DNS, and

9. turning off all LEDs under LED Control Settings.

If I had to guess, I bet it's number 4 above (changing my LAN subnet to 192.168.75.x). Unfortunately I can't go back to 192.168.1.x without a LOT of effort. I have roughly 100 devices on my network.

Message 9 of 21
Killhippie
Prodigy

I think its a lot more basic than that, I have 20 devices in DHCP reservation and that causes it I even tried without DHCP reservation. I Noticed also devices seem to stay cached a long time after they have been removed from the network, so if I have 11 devices on at once and drop 2 they can take 10 minutes or more to drop off the network. I'm sure a fix will be along sooner rather than later, as with all things a lot of changes were made in this version so bugs are bound to happen.

Message 10 of 21
kc6108
Luminary

I just made a discovery. Disconnecting my mid-2010 MacBook Pro from my network allows the attached devices page to populate. Also, now the app shows the type of device (vs always showing ‘Network’) and allows me to edit the devices.

Maybe my MacBook Pro is sending some packets that the router doesn’t like?
Message 11 of 21
krestrazh
Tutor

The suggestion that it could be a device connecting to the network made me spend the morning troubleshooting by disconnecting and connecting different devices and seeing the how the behavior of Attached Device changed. I seem to have tracked it down to two devices on my network that have historically / seemingly have a problem allowing the router's DHCP assign IP addresses and like to cache and reuse their previous IPs: my Denon Receiver and my work Dell Precision. Until these devices connect to the network, Attached Devices refresh with new and detached devices. Once either of those connects, however, Attached Devices stops refreshing until rebooted, even if those devices are removed from the network.

Message 12 of 21
kc6108
Luminary

I have almost 100 devices on my network. Only when my MacBook Pro connects to my network does the Attached Devices page stop populating... and Nighthawk app stop identifying devices types, etc. Once I close the lid on my MacBook it takes 1 - 10 minutes for them to begin working again. I can reproduce this bug all day long.

BTW, I also have a Denon AVR on my network. It’s an AVR-4311CI.
Message 13 of 21
Kyne
Apprentice

Just to add - same here. But out of nowhere. I has latest FW running for a bit, but the last time channel changed, attached devices is showing blank on the webpage. On the app, I see a (stale?) list, but no more 5Ghz/2.4Ghz badges. Tried restart, but don't want to go through the hassle or factory reset (and for a released firmware, I expect that not to be neccessary). Pretty frustrating...

Message 14 of 21
Topology
Virtuoso

RAX120 firmware 1.0.1.128 (see here) claims to fix a problem “where the Nighthawk app does not display devices in attached device list,” and thus might assist with the issue discussed in this thread.

Message 15 of 21
Killhippie
Prodigy

1.0.1.128 fixes that issue but now gives me DFS vhannels on HT80 which then vanish, also if you reset there is no set up screen for the browser as per usual, also mine and a friends 120 first rejected our ISP password, then could not fine the connection. Finally it all worked. Then I want from channel 100 to 36 with no radar waning in the logs. So far a buggy update with a security fix, great router but all this horsepower, ram and flash NAND and for myself great wifi but no Dynamic QoS, infact QoS on makes upstream connections worse and no stand out features. <sigh> I feel Netgear need an audit like asus had to shake them up on security and maybe some fresh engineers with new ideas in hardware and software design. Asus seem to be pulling a head in AX router design and definately in feature sets.

Message 16 of 21
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Buggy firmware update. So far,  it is worse than the previous one 1.0.1.122.

1. slowed  wireless internet speed.

2. QoS is available for upstream, but  does not make sense anymore with high internet gigabit speeds.

3. readycloud still not working , either with phone apps, or web-based browser.

I might have to reverse back to 1.0.1.122 , after another trial with reset the router,  reconfigure   set-up and if the aboved mention  issues are still persist,.

Message 17 of 21
Killhippie
Prodigy

QoS has never worked on this router sadly, the GUI has been changed but QoS is not needed on devices over 300Mbps really.  Also be aware this version patches a security vulnerability. Onc factorye set reset mine seems fine, still using DFS on HT80. No speed issues for myself on this firmware after a factory reset. Using wifi sweetspots im getting 655Mbps on 5Ghz ac devices. Its not a perfect piece of firmware, netgear are im my view going downhill software wise but like most AX devices a factory reset solves most things.

Message 18 of 21
Killhippie
Prodigy

Sorry about typos, I wish this site would let you edit replies.

Message 19 of 21
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Factory reset  & reconfiguration after a firmware update  is now notorious for Netgear  router products, it seems ... It does resolved the internet disconnection , but some of the devices previously connected were not recognized/or listed on the connected device list as unknown, and was not able to browse the internet, even though connecting  through WiFi is established.

I had to really power off/on the router to   reestablish  the internet connection for all devices  to work. 

Message 20 of 21
kc6108
Luminary

V1.0.1.128 corrected the issue of the Attached Devices webpage not populating and the Attached Devices Nighthawk app section incorrectly identifying all devices as Network (as well as not allowing changes to be made, such as renaming the devices and their associated icons).

No factory reset was required.

I did, however, end out performing a factory reset... and I’m glad I did. The information associated to several devices on my network are now identified with model numbers, names, and correct icons where I had previously made changes to them.

I wish Netgear would add an option to remove all device information (i.e. in Access Control, Attached Devices, etc) so process I described above could be performed without a factory reset. I understand this seems like a simple enhancement, but it isn’t something simple to implement in the code 😞
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7