× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Best channel for higher speeds with 5G

Christos84
Aspirant

RAX120 Best channel for higher speeds with 5G

Can someone help me with how to find the best channel for my 5G AX speeds?
Message 1 of 6

You have a problem of some sort?

These things are best left to the devices to decide. Unlike 2.4 GHz it isn't likely that you will see interference from the neigbours.

And speed is down to the wifi clients.

Message 2 of 6
Christos84
Aspirant

I have Fios 1G up/down. When close to the router i get a little above 600mbps down and 500mbps up. I have the 5G wifi set on channel 36. Should i be happy with the speeds im getting wirelessly or i can do better?
Message 3 of 6

@Christos84 wrote:
I have Fios 1G up/down. When close to the router i get a little above 600mbps down and 500mbps up.

If that is wifi speeds, then you will never get Gbps. Even wired connections will lose some speed.

600 Mbps is faster than many wifi clients can deliver. The wifi clients you use are the key. You don't say what they are but can they get faster speeds on other wifi sources?

Is there anything you do that is too slow? Or are you just looking at the numbers?

Message 4 of 6
avtella
Prodigy

Stick to the low channel numbers ie 36 if you want HT160. It will use all 8x 20Mhz channels from 36-64.

The 149-165 section does not have 160Mhz of contiguous channels so you would be limited to 80Mhz.

Also would avoid the 100-120 area as that’s fully DFS meaning upon radar or priority utility detections you’d get kicked off... Also in that section it’s a lower power region.

TLDR you are fine where you are now.
Message 5 of 6
Christos84
Aspirant

Just looking at the numbers. Im doing Speedtest with my iPhone 11Pro. I have connected all my smart plugs and google home mini to the 2.4G channel and i only use the 5G for our phones and laptops and AppleTV.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7