× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 Bricked?

staddycria
Aspirant

RAX120 Bricked?

Bought the RAX120 last night.  Went to set it up and went to update firmware like the app suggested and now it won't do anything.

All lights are solid and reset button doesn't work to reset and I left it unplugged all night and still this morning.  Plug it in and all lights solid.  Never transitions through the boot up process.

$500 door stop?

Will be taking it back to Best Buy today but curious if this router is worth the money if it can't even update the firmware?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Re: RAX120 Bricked?

IMHO, best way to brick a Netgear router is to do a firmware update using the app. You will find lots of similar experiences on this forum. Only good way as noted above using a Ethernet connection to a PC or MAC. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

many times, people just click the reset button. it needs to be pushed and held for 7-10 seconds. You should see the lights flash when its held long enough.

Try that and then try hardwiring into the router for setup. Setup usually goes smoother this route. 

Message 2 of 5
staddycria
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback.  I tried that multiple times.  Even held in up to 1 minute and lights never change.

Tried the hold in reset for 30 secs.  Kept held in while unplugged for 30 secs.  Kept held in and plugged back in to power and helf for another 30 secs and still the same results.

Don't see or hear the fan kick on just all lights are solid.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Might have gotten a bad one. If you'd had it longer I'd recommend tftp or nmrpflash. But since you just bought it, I'd exchange it. 

I'd also recommend doing the firmware update over a hardwired connection. Tends to have the best results. 

Message 4 of 5
myersw
Master

IMHO, best way to brick a Netgear router is to do a firmware update using the app. You will find lots of similar experiences on this forum. Only good way as noted above using a Ethernet connection to a PC or MAC. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7