× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 EOL

Killhippie
Prodigy

RAX120 EOL

Since the RAX120 is now three years old and has not had a firmware update in 9 months can anyone confirm this router is now EOL (end of life) as I dont want to be using hardware with security flaws in it.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Its not. Seen it take longer than 9 months for FW to appear. Also there working on fixing cooling and heat and reboot issues seen on the v2 version as well. 

I have a v1 I believe however shows as a v2 on the web page. Odd for sure. 

There is a beta that is available for those interested. Running cooler than before thought I keep the internal fan running. Never hurts to have additional cooling. Even a RAX200 runs hotter than I like. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Its not. Seen it take longer than 9 months for FW to appear. Also there working on fixing cooling and heat and reboot issues seen on the v2 version as well. 

I have a v1 I believe however shows as a v2 on the web page. Odd for sure. 

There is a beta that is available for those interested. Running cooler than before thought I keep the internal fan running. Never hurts to have additional cooling. Even a RAX200 runs hotter than I like. 

Message 2 of 4
Killhippie
Prodigy

That's good news, I was one of the original beta testers for the RAX120 v1, it ran hot back then, in fact I still have my beta unit in a box. I really didn't want to buy something like a RAXE500 when I don't need 6E as yet and this router serves its purpose well, although its a shame they never could give it dynamic QoS. Hopefully I'll see a deal on Amazon one day for the 500 but until then I am happy with my V1 120, oddly no version 2's in the UK from what I was informed, apart from those that bought them from ebay or Amazon with the NA sku and it has no benefits over the version 1 and its cooling issue seems odd, the heat sync on the v1 is massive and with the fan mine has never rebooted once. Ive put out a message to Darren about the firmware, is there a link that can be PM'd my way to the cooler firmware or is that specifically for version 2's as they both share the same code base as I'm aware. Thanks for your reply.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend either running the internal fan all the time or add a laptop cooler fan. The 120s have a thermal fan enable on the debug page. There isn't one on the 200 or 500s. I'd like NG to add that for those. 

I've been running a laptop cooler fan for years. Saves electronics and helps extend the life. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7