× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 FIRMWARE RECENT UPDATE ISSUE

Bluejacket
Guide

Well, it is very frustrating. I have never in all my years ever had a Netgear product do this to me. I could go back to my old R6300 router that I had for years of carefree service. Any ideas community? I would appreciate any help before I resort to calling support.

Thanks again,

Bob

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 45
Bluejacket
Guide

I was able to get my wireless internet access to working after reconfiguring the router. This morning after just 14 houre it was offline again. Okay, so I decided to just reboot the router so I would not loose the configuration. It did not work this time. After only rebooting the router the configuration was gone. I just finished getting the router up and runing. This is really getting bad. Netgear, what is going on?

Bob

Message 27 of 45
Mando24
Aspirant

I was talking with Netgear on Friday, tech support finally decided it was a bad unit and that probably something went wrong with it after the update, told them i used firmware .108 .114 and .118. Will be getting a new one from them, hopefully is this week
Message 28 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@Bluejacket wrote:

I was able to get my wireless internet access to working after reconfiguring the router. This morning after just 14 houre it was offline again. Okay, so I decided to just reboot the router so I would not loose the configuration. It did not work this time. After only rebooting the router the configuration was gone. I just finished getting the router up and runing. This is really getting bad. Netgear, what is going on?

Bob

How did you reconfigure your router, did you reset it via the pin hole at the rear?

Message 29 of 45
Bluejacket
Guide

No not this time. I just did a reboot from the access through the browser on a hard wired computer. I know that I use the pin hole it resets the router. This time I had to get the router up fast because I am working remotely. I did a reboot over the weekend and it came back with the configuration intact, bt not this time.

Thanks,

Bob

Message 30 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

You need to do the reset using the rear pin hole and then setup as new. Do not use a saved config as this may introduce the issue again.

Message 31 of 45
Bluejacket
Guide

I am sure that you notice in a prior post that I have already done exactley what you recommended. I am in a crunch right now and need to be up and running securely. I had been able to do a reboot once over the weekend to get running and it kept the configuration and was online for about 24 hours before it happened again.

Thank you for your help but I has not worked in my case.

Bob

Message 32 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Install the firmware over the top and reset again. Try that as sometimes it can be corrupted.

Message 33 of 45
Bluejacket
Guide

Yes, I have done that also. Thanks.

Message 34 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I would then contact Netgear in case it's developed a fault

Message 35 of 45
Bluejacket
Guide

Thanks. I am on hold right now.

Bob

Message 36 of 45
gardenstate
Tutor

Hello Group,

Has anyone update their router to the newest  V1.0.1.122 ? If so, is this one any good. stable, good speeds etc...?

Rocco

Message 37 of 45
JoeJac
Aspirant

I've been so stupid getting this update and after that have my router set to its factory default. I have to reconnect my garage, switches and everything connected to my devices all in all 32 devices and its taking me whole day to reset all of them. WTF is going ON! can we get a 

stable working firmware for a very expensive router! This is my last investment on netgear products, besides I never get any support from them. My R8500 is just sitting on my closet which also very expensive when I bought 'em. I even bragged them to my frends the first time I got them and never change the SSID so my neighbors can see a latest gadget from NetLoss este Netgear!

Message 38 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It pays to write down your credentials so that all your devices reconnect after an update if you reset.

happly running .136 and no major issues.

when you reset it does not return to factory default firmware and by downgrading you need to be aware of security risks.

most of us who know NG routers tend to perform a factory reset after updating.

Message 39 of 45
Cannibalizer
Aspirant

The last 3 Netgear routers I had lasted just past the warranty date and then just ran like garbage. I swore I’d never buy another Netgear product, but after reading reviews of all the top dogs, this X12 thing looked like something special and next gen. And here we go again, a $500 router that worked beyond belief for a while, but after an auto update (Netgear default it to auto now) hosed me, I’ve rolled back but continue to have little issues. Nothing like with the new firmware, but not like it ran previously. And I understand you all are trying to be helpful with the reset advice, but it’s absolutely absurd that Netgear techs would think this is a viable solution. Why would you build a backup and restore method into the product if you recommend that it never be used? And do they realize the amount of equipment people have in their homes these days? A factory reset takes me 2 days to fully recover from if I can dedicate the time. Otherwise it’s a few min here and there for the better part of a week. I’ll be needing much more than fancy ads and pix off reviewers to be giving them any more of my $.
Message 40 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I've no issues on .138 on my RAX120.

regarding the resets, Merlin did a nice article on Smallnetbuilders that explains why a reset is or maybe needed. It clears the NVram and if you use a saved config it can add code that may not be compatible with the new update and so you add corruption which is why you never use a saved config.
many of us will perform factory resets as standard after an update.

Message 41 of 45
Killhippie
Prodigy

How many devices do you have to  make it take days to recove from a reset. I have 20 connected wifi devices, I can add them all in DHCP reservation use the same 63 digit ASCII password and SSID so all my devices reconnect instantly and get the router set to where I need it in about an hour. No idea why it takes you do long tbh.

Message 42 of 45
JoeJac
Aspirant

After a factory reset even you use the same ssid all of my belkin dimmers anf plugs (32 total) my sprinkler, carrier infinity, myQ garage

wifi cctv and others wont connect instantly as you said. I have to reset also all of them and have it connected one by one to the new

ssid and password for every update and I'm tired of it. So FOR ME I did not say to everyone, every update is a pain in the ass. This expensive router didnt meet my expectation. That's all what I am saying. Now I'm stuck with the firmware that was loaded when I bought it

no more nasty update no more other issues, No more buggy nighthawk app, no more concerns on updating. And until now I dont have any issues at all. I bought 9 netgear routers on my 10 years of being loyal to netgear products, but it turns out in two year span you have to throw a lot of money upgrading your routers because everytime I do updates, all of them are lossing its performance over time. So this

one I have will the last buy from netgear.

Message 43 of 45
Killhippie
Prodigy

Well if you use the same SSID and same password they should. No idea why not. Have you tried turning off PMF. Honestly I have had the router for over a year and never encountered your issue. I would say maybe a corrupt install? Have you tried reinstalling the firmware and are you using smart connect?

Message 44 of 45
Killhippie
Prodigy

What do you mean you are stuck with the firmware from when you bought it? Firmware does not change on a factory reset! Have you downloaded the latest version and factory reset that, you post is to bloated please keep your diatribe to a minimum, it helps

Message 45 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7