× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 FIRMWARE RECENT UPDATE ISSUE

gardenstate
Tutor

RAX120 FIRMWARE RECENT UPDATE ISSUE

Hello,

This problem also ocurred I believe back in Septemeber and it was a bad firmware update. Just recently it updated to V1.0.1.114

since then internet goes in and out same as it did in September.

We have no cell service where I live or it is terrible and we rely on wifi for alot. Can not even make wifi calls.

Please advise on what to do. Thank you~ Netgear please advise with a fix ASAP.

Rocco

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 45
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 FIRMWARE RECENT UPDATE ISSUE

What are the led's doing? 

Modem you're using?

what exactly is happening? Are you able to log into the router? are your wifi devices dropping? Without being there we aren't able to tell so a complete description of the problem helps us to help you.

With the newer AX devices, the firmware has been making larger changes than just security updates. Because of this, they have responded well to factory reset. Push and hold reset while the device is powered on. Its usually 7-15 seconds (lights should change). Then re-install.

If this doesn't work, you can either try re-installing the firmware or downgrading the firmware. 

Message 2 of 45
Killhippie
Prodigy

I always factory reset my RAX120 and besides a few known bugs its actually very stable for me on v1.01.114 same with 1.0.1.108 before it. No issues to speak pf apart from some bugs that Netgear are aware of, but touch wood, no disconnections at all. I would do what plemans has suggested. Also my own personal view don't let it auto update and don't use the app to update either, log in to the routers interface and do it after downloading the firmware from Netgears site. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.1.114
Message 3 of 45
steelrfan
Initiate

I too was having the same connectivity issues similar to the update in September. Multiple devices wouldn’t stay connected and the Nighthawk app would constantly go from showing internet connection to offline while other devices were still showing connection. Called my ISP and they confirmed our internet was fine. I still had the old firmware from the last time this happened so I figured I would give it a try and manually updated back to the old version and all is fixed now. Netgear needs to get it together with their firmware updates...this is ridiculous! This router wasn’t cheap!!
Message 4 of 45
gardenstate
Tutor

Hello,

Yes Netgear really needs to stay on top of their updates and when they are buggy or something is wrong like it was back in September and recently. I went crazy trying to figure out what the issue was, our ISP lately has been terrible so we kept blaming them, they came out a few times, then I would rewire everything thinking it was me. It wasn't. But it did not only cost me so much aggrevation and wasted time, but I lost money too, I have a plan that if we do not go over a certain amount per cell in data we get a kickback per phone, well everytime this happens all of our cell's data go over and I lose a over $100+.

Lastly, yes I buy all netgear, so they hopefully work well together, and these routers and switches and extenders were a lot of money, the least they can do is make sure updates come out quickly and that bad one can be easily brought back to the prior version that was working until they have a newer one. Instead there is nothing and we go crazy looking for fixes. Netgear please get these things done for us. I really do not have the time to constantly troubleshoot and then find out its my super expensive equipment that has a bad update, and then try to reverse the update without screwing up the rest of the entire setup. Keep us advised.

Message 5 of 45
RDWW60
Tutor

Same issue. Since Friday 13. Woke up and my whole house was down and router wiped cleaned wanting to be setup.
I too bought this because of the accolades.
Please fix ASAP
Rebooted 3 times already today.
Message 6 of 45
soeun
Apprentice

I've had this issue since I got the router. WHen it works, i love it but at times some devices loses internet connection while others are still connected. Only a reboot fixes this or disabling and re-enabling wifi on the device. Never had this issue with previous netgear models. So far i'm regretting my purchase. Please fix this soon. 

Message 7 of 45
gardenstate
Tutor

NETGEAR DO YOU HEAR US! WE ARE LOYAL NETGEAR CUSTOMERS THAT PAID TOP DOLLAR FOR THIS EQUIPMENT SHOW THAT YOU APPRECIATE OUR BUSINESS, FIX THESE ISSUES
Message 8 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Use the rest pin hole method at the rear after an update and you notice issues. Many of us have auto update off so we can see when it's updated by manually checking. 
when you reset don't use a saved config, setup as new using the old credentials.

Message 9 of 45
Bluejacket
Guide

My issue is somewhat similar. My router will just go offline. I have connectivity on my local network but cannot get out to the internet. I updated firmware to v. 118 but that did not help. Here is what seems to be different. I reboot router or power it down and I loose my router configuration. I have been restoring from a backup cfg but I may have to start from scratch next time. It started last Friday and it happened again on Sunday and today. About every 24-35 hours the problem occurs.

On top of that I am trying to work from home because of this virus.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Bob

Message 10 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Reset your router bob as per above and don't use a saved config. 

Message 11 of 45
Bluejacket
Guide

Okay, I saw that on your post. I will do it but not until the day is done.

Thanks,

Bob

Message 12 of 45
RDWW60
Tutor

Had to reboot again this morning
Message 13 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Have you reset the router yet?

Message 14 of 45
soeun
Apprentice

I did the reset a couple weeks ago. Same issues. 

Message 15 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Reinstall firmware over the top and reset and see if that works

Message 16 of 45
Mando24
Aspirant

I'm having very similar issues, just notice is on the 5G band only, 2.4 is working fine. Any updates?
Message 17 of 45
RDWW60
Tutor

I did and got wiped clean again. Turns out Spectrum was having issues too, making it hard to figure out where the real problem is. That was a few days sho now, and things seem to have settled down... famous last words...
Message 18 of 45
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Thats great so all is well. I did see your post on Reddit too and replied. 

ive had issue too with my isp, seems the Internet is struggling a bit with what is going on at the moment. Netflix are lowering data rates from a recent article I read. 

Message 19 of 45
RDWW60
Tutor

Fingers crossed...
Now I'm trying to figure out if I can use the Cm1150v cable modem with voice on Spectrum. Not sure it's going to give me voice or not, so haven't unboxed it yet
Message 20 of 45
Demitrix111
Aspirant

Same thing happening to me. My devices keep getting dropped randomly.
Message 21 of 45
steelrfan
Initiate

I reverted back to an old software version (the same version they had us revert back to when this was happening last September) and have had zero issues since. Only concern now is that I’m several versions behind but at least my devices stay connected now.
Message 22 of 45
Mando24
Aspirant

What version is that? Please.
Message 23 of 45
Bluejacket
Guide

Hello,

I am sorry I have been work on my RAX120 router. I completely reset my router. Updated the firmware to v1.0.1.118. Then I reconfigured the router manually. This wae Thurday afternoon. I thought I had it fixed until Sunday morning when I had no wireless internet access. when this issue started warly last week the wireless was going offline every 36 hours or so. Sunday the wireless stayed online for about 72 hours. I rebooted the router and then this morning it was off again in 24 hours. I powered off the router this time and I accessed it from the app and it told me I had a new router that needed to be setup. Well that is what happened last week when I power off the router last week, no config. I setup and configured the router today and just finished a little while ago. Previously when I power off the router I did not have the issue of losing my configuration. Something happened before the router started going offline. Is ther anything else anyone can recommend?

Thanks,

Bob

Message 24 of 45
Demitrix111
Aspirant

Yes, that is exactly what is happening with me. I’m running v1.0.1.118 also. But my dropping of internet connection has been very random, sometimes being a couple hours to up to 15 hours at the max being online, without needing a reboot. Then after the reboot I’m needing to reconfig.
Message 25 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7