× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Fan Settings

darkroute
Follower

RAX120 Fan Settings

I am trying to prevent the fan from spinning up too often and I found out about the following settings page:

http://routerlogin.net/Thermal_FAN.htm

but applying any of the settings leads to a 400 Bad Request.  It would be nice if this actually worked.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29
dmystic1
Apprentice

I have yet to hear the fan.

Message 2 of 29
chuck4100
Tutor

Having this issue aswell. 

Message 3 of 29
Jacek26
Tutor

I have RAX80 the only way I would hear my fan is when I unplug the router and plug it back in when I want to reset the router. But also I have raised the router on applied “feet” to raise it off the flat surface that way there is some air ventilation between the router and my desk. The RAX80 was getting very hot while sitting on flat surface but yet the fan didn’t kick on so I raised it, router stays cool but like I said earlier I have yet to hear the fan only on reboot.
Message 4 of 29
arjewell23
Star

I stumbled upon your post because my router RAX120 has been running hot and the 5GHz keeps going out.  I found some info somebody else posted about their system getting hot.  Try "ip address/debug.htm".  I found a setting that says " Always enable Fan".  I checked it and hit apply and it looks like the setting stayed.  I just checked the fan and holy crap, it's on!  HOT air is coming out and I hope this fixes the performance issues.  I have a feeling the 5GHz radio was turning off due to overheating. 

Message 5 of 29
chuck4100
Tutor

Wow! Thank you so much!

This is also working for me. never before had the fan come on but it is now. I'd rather it run at all times and fail eventually than let this over priced router sit hot and slowdown.

thanks again for responding

Message 6 of 29
arjewell23
Star

You are very welcome!  I agree 100%.  I want all my equipment to run as cool as possible. 

Message 7 of 29
Jacek26
Tutor

I have RAX80 and when I go into that setting I do not see always enable fan. Perhaps it’s only rax120 setting??? Can anyone confirm?
Message 8 of 29
arjewell23
Star

I'm sorry but I do not have access to an RAX80.  I did try the debug.htm on my netgear switch and received an Access Error.  Here is a screen shot from the debug.htm on my RAX120.  I updated to the latest Hot Fix firmware, V1.0.1.118, and the fan was unselected when I checked it this morning. 

Message 9 of 29
Jacek26
Tutor

Yeah I just compared my settings with yours and the enable fan setting is missing on my RAX80. Perhaps it’s only rax120 setting.
Message 10 of 29
CrownDreams
Aspirant

Thanks a bunch! Bookmarked!  It appears the fan will go back to default the next time you unplug, turn off/on or reboot the router.

I'd also would want the fan to run 24/7 than 5g slow down.

Message 11 of 29
arjewell23
Star

You're welcome!  Yes, I did notice that as well.  I have the RAX120 striclty as a router now and use a DHCP server along with AX6000 as my wireless APs.  This way, I rarely have to restart the RAX120 and can keep the fan going.  Because it was getting so hot, I bought some mini fans that hook up to the USB.  They are loud but I have my RAX120 in the basement / Utility Room will all of my other equipment so I never hear it and it's been running great! 

Message 12 of 29
Topology
Virtuoso

Arjewell23, you may find the USB component fans by AC Infinity to be of interest.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 13 of 29
arjewell23
Star

Thank you so much.  I will be purchasing a few of those for my equipment!

Message 14 of 29
Mojofilter99
Aspirant

Looking through my setting trying to figure out where the enable/disable setting is for my router because my cooling fan never comes on and from reading other posts, it looks like there might be an option to enable/disable, I just can't seem to find it. 

Message 15 of 29
chuck4100
Tutor

if you goto 
http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
it will have an option to always enable fan, however, it will go to default if the router is turned off/restarted.

Message 16 of 29
Raiden85
Initiate

Don't have any access to fan controld on the RX200 either, really wish Netgear would make all these hidden pages part of the advanced settings for a start, what's the point in hiding them?

For such expensive routers it would be nice to have a UI with a lot more options and visibilty of what the router is doing, would be nice to see the CPU temps or overide the fan speeds if we wish at least. 

So many things they could add, even the advanced settings in these routers are ultra basic. Why can't I see the link speed of atttached devices either?, as you can from the iOS app, how much bandwidth is each device using?, guess we'll never know.

Message 17 of 29
Dougdavis1982
Aspirant

Thanks for this, I plan on doing 4k gaming over wifi and my wife watches 4k video while im gaming, keeping the heat down will be very important... rather not have my connection drop. That address link worked. 

Message 18 of 29
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

You should not need the fans to be running constantly. The router thermal management is fine and I've never had issues with heat even on the hottest days in the summer streaming to multiple devices.
I can't say I've read of any failures due to heat since the routers been launched. I think you will be surprised at how well the router performs not matter what you throw at it.

Message 19 of 29
mudbone
Apprentice

I totally disagree. Heat is the enemy of electronic equipment. After paying nearly $400 for two very expensive routers I feel I should have the ability to control the fan speed in the regular firmware pages. I was finally able to make the fans come on  with the debug.htm setting. The sad part is I will have to keep setting these when they get rebooted but at least I have some control over them. These routers get hot.

Message 20 of 29
Razor512
Prodigy

If you capture debug logs, some of the log entries will include polling from the various thermal sensors depending on the router model. Usually the fan should come on if any of those sensors report a temperature that is too high.

Message 21 of 29
Vmiyoshi
Aspirant

I have the same issue, however for me it appears that the whole route would go offline.

It would unreachable from 2.4/5Ghz or LAN, oddly enough the lights would still be on, Internet and LAN 1 blinking. I did notice it would be hot, and the fan would be off, come to think about it, I never noticed the fan ever been on. I changed the setting to allow the fan to always be on, so lets see if this fixes it. I have had nothing but issue with this solution, but I'm not trying to replace it until WIFI6e become more widely adopted...

Message 22 of 29
Mojofilter99
Aspirant

What is the setting to get into fan control? I would set mine to always on.

Message 23 of 29
Jacek26
Tutor

http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
it will have an option to always an able to fan but if you reset or turn off the router the settings go back to normal.

Also what I did I have set the router on a raised legs. It’s not sitting flush to the shelf I have it raised so the heat dissipates from the bottom as well as the top. Hence my router stays cool. Before I did that it ran very hot
Message 24 of 29
Razor512
Prodigy

Wanted to also add that the cooling design of the RAX120 has a heat spreader on the bottom of the unit, and a large finned heatsink on the top side of the board.

When the cooling fan is active, it pulls in air through the bottom vents, across the heat spreader, then through the heatsink, and out of the unit via the exhaust fan.

If the bottom has the proper amount of space, then you will get some level of convection similarly to how a radiator works where the heat generated will induce a small amount of airflow throguh the unit, and if a temperature sensor reads too high, the fan should come on to force more airflow through.

The top of the unit will have the SOC, RAM, NAND, and various RF backend hardware, and make direct contact to the large heatsink. The bottom that has the heat spreader, alrgely contains components such as RF front end components like amplifiers.

The fan should not need to run all of the time since the vast majority of the time, the SOC will be largely idle.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7