× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 GUI vs EAX80 GUI

Blixt
Aspirant

RAX120 GUI vs EAX80 GUI

Why do two devices of the same physical design language have very different web interfaces? The RAX120 GUI isn't perfect but it is much better (not as playful) as the EAX80's GUI. Why are they any different at all? One would expect the menu to be similar since they are part of the same family.

Honestly I don't care what the GUI looks like, if the device operates properly once configured, but my RAX120 and two EAX80s have me checking on them weekly and little things like lack of GUI consistency are becoming enough to make me want to switch all my equipment to something more professional. I can't even tag the EAX80 AX6000 as a model in this community post, that is how lacking the support for it seems.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: RAX120 GUI vs EAX80 GUI

The RAX120 is a router. The EAX80 an extender. They offer different functions

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Because one's a router and one's an extender? 

You have different capabilities from a router to an extender. 

Message 3 of 5
Blixt
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Because one's a router and one's an extender? 

You have different capabilities from a router to an extender. 

Different functions means the router has other features like port forwarding and DHCP settings in the menu whereas the extender does not. Certainly. Give us the same menu but leave those settings out.. What I am getting at is the menu design makes them look like different brands alltogether. For example, remove the Nighthawk or Netgear logo from the web admin page and they are nothing alike.

Get inside the cab of a Ford car of any year model, and then get inside the cab of a different model Ford, but same year, and you will be able to tell it is a Ford without looking at the Ford logo.

Netgear clearly understands design language because both devices have the same "stealth bomber" look of flat black and "curved angles", but it stops at the physical appearance.

Just me ranting and hoping maybe they actually notice and make their GUIs more congruent. 

Message 4 of 5
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Blixt wrote:

Why do two devices of the same physical design language have very different web interfaces? The RAX120 GUI isn't perfect but it is much better (not as playful) as the EAX80's GUI. Why are they any different at all? One would expect the menu to be similar since they are part of the same family.

Honestly I don't care what the GUI looks like, if the device operates properly once configured, but my RAX120 and two EAX80s have me checking on them weekly and little things like lack of GUI consistency are becoming enough to make me want to switch all my equipment to something more professional. I can't even tag the EAX80 AX6000 as a model in this community post, that is how lacking the support for it seems.

I have been wondering same thing... seems Netgear is very inconsistent. I read on another forum that Netgear no longer employs programmers and all software development is outsourced to a contractors. Netgear is only in charge of design and may have been designed by different teams at different times.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7