× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 Guest Network interfer with ax/ofdma on Main Network

craiganorcal
Aspirant

RAX120 Guest Network interfer with ax/ofdma on Main Network

I have an RAX120 and have enabled AX, OFDMA (on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands), and Smart Connect on my "main" wireless network.  I have also enabled Guest networks on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  There are two devices connected to the 2.4GHz Guest network.  I am noticing that the RAX120 is not allocating any devices on my "main" wireless network to the 2.4GHz band.  Are the connections on the Guest network preventing this from happening?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 Guest Network interfer with ax/ofdma on Main Network

You're using bandsteering? 

If so and the router has plenty of bandwidth and close enough, is probably just putting them on 5ghz because its so much faster and suffers from less interference. 

Message 2 of 5
craiganorcal
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

You're using bandsteering? 

If so and the router has plenty of bandwidth and close enough, is probably just putting them on 5ghz because its so much faster and suffers from less interference. 

Thanks.  I assume that band steering is implemented in SmartConnect - so yes to that.  The reason for my question is that the Killer AX500-DBS wireless adapter in her new Dell laptop periodically drops the 5GHz connection for unknown reasons.  Distance between the RAX120 and the laptop is about 25 feet.  After a delay of a minute or two, the 5GHz connection is restored.  As a test, I installed an older 2.4GHz access point to see what would happen.  When the 5GHz connection was dropped, it was immediately restored using the access point.  I'm trying to determine if the issue is with the RAX120 or when the Killer wireless adapter.  My first thought was possible interference between the 2.4GHz guest network and the "main" network.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I would take a look through this thread on dell and the killer AX500

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-7590-Killer-Wireless-1650-WiFi-issues/td-p/7365381

might need a few driver changes/tries to see about stability on it. 

Message 4 of 5
craiganorcal
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

I would take a look through this thread on dell and the killer AX500

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-7590-Killer-Wireless-1650-WiFi-issues/td-p/7365381

might need a few driver changes/tries to see about stability on it. 

Thanks. I'll have a look

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7