× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 Issues using Windows VPN connection

rybxwa
Initiate

RAX120 Issues using Windows VPN connection

Hi, Just bought a Nighthawk RAX120 and setup was very easy and quite impressed with boost in speeds and no lag-time on devices. But I ran into one HUGE problem yesterday and spent 90 minutes with NG support and got nowhere...

I work remotely and need to connect to my work's server using a VPN connection -- I use the Windows 10 VPN connection ( I had a TP-Link router before with no issues). But it would not work with the new RAX120 router. Turning off firewall and anti-virus didn't work. Following steps in other threads about VPN passthrough didn't work either. Setting port forwarding for PPTP ports 1723 didn't work. Setting the router as DMZ server didn't work. Deleting the connection, restarting the PC, and creating the connection again didn't work either. Nothing did. But as soon as plugged back in the TP-Link router, VPN connected with no hiccups. Same with plugging directly into the modem with ethernet. So it is definitely some setting that no one knows how to configure on the RAX120 router. And NG support ended the call with "sorry, we tried everything. But thanks for purchasing and good luck". So I thought I would try the community here for one last try before I return the router.

When I attempt to connect, the connection goes to "Verifying Username and Password", that message disappears, and then hangs for about 30 seconds and then finally pops up this error message:

"The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for the failure is that at least one Internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN sever is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider."

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX120 Issues using Windows VPN connection

Hello rybxwa - I would like to have your case escalated and followed up by support. Would you mind sending me a message with your case number and email address. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 14
tukstr
Aspirant

I have this same issue connecting Windows 2016 Server Essentials VPN (PPTP).

Thanks!

Joe

Message 3 of 14
rybxwa
Initiate

Hi Joe, Try changing the VPN type from PPTP to Automatic. Go to Windows Settings / Network & Internet / VPN / Select your connection and click on Advanced Settings / Then Edit and change the VPN Type to Automatic.

Not sure why, but by changing the setting to Automatic, I was finally able to connect to my work VPN using Windows. Hopefully that works for you. 

Good luck and take care!

Message 4 of 14
jcparham
Aspirant

Has there been any resolution to this issue?  I am having exaclty the same problem.

Thanks

Message 5 of 14
Denhom1022
Tutor

Any solution to this issue? Exact same thing....
Message 6 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Denhom1022, 

Welcome to the Community! Have you gotten a chance to try the suggestion @rybxwa recommended? 

Christian 

Message 7 of 14
Denhom1022
Tutor

I have, this does not work for me. 

Message 8 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Denhom1022, 

Thanks for getting back. I'd like for support to look into this further for you. Please send me a message with your contact info and serial number.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 9 of 14
MTamasi
Aspirant

Same issue!! Just installed last night and spent 3 hours trying to get to work. Automatic / pptp manually (both ways).
Also my fire tv IPVanishVPN doesn’t work through the nighthawk either.
Message 10 of 14
Denhom1022
Tutor

Just got this issue resolved. It was a bug in the firmware. Go to Netgear support site and download the newest firmware hotfix. After that, toggle your NAT filtering from secured to open, then back to sercure. This should fix the issue. 

Message 11 of 14
MTamasi
Aspirant

This corrected the issue!  Thank you so much!!!! 🙂

Message 12 of 14
tukstr
Aspirant

Thank you, this worked for me too. 

Message 13 of 14
PaulChris
Tutor

Fixed the problem for me. with RAX120 and Router Firmware Version V1.0.1.108.

Toggle the NAT Filtering from Secured to Open back to Secured and reboot.  This corrected the PPTP VPN connection probem.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7