× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 + Motorola MB8611-10 (2.5gbs). Can I get higher speed via WAN aggregation?

dma550
Aspirant

RAX120 + Motorola MB8611-10 (2.5gbs). Can I get higher speed via WAN aggregation?

Hey all

I just upgraded Xfinity to 1.2GB service.  I have a new motorola MB8611-10, which has a 2.5GBS port.  I tested without my router at 1450Mbps just a little while ago, across a 2.5G port.

I just installed the RAX120 and am seeing decent wired and wifi speeds, about 678M AX, and about 940M wired.

So now, I note my modem appears to be talking at 1GBps plugged into the internet port (green vs. blue indication)

So I am wondering, and I read elsewhere (here ) that I should be able to use the 2.5GBPS port as my intenet in?  It doesn’t seem to be working and I did attempt setting Wan aggregation to try to make it work.  Any tips?  I don't know if there is any speed to be gained by doing this but its worth a try!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
dma550
Aspirant

Re: RAX120 + Motorola MB8611-10 (2.5gbs). Can I get higher speed via WAN aggregation?

lol always the same with me.  Just posting a question gets me to solve it.

So I found there is a wan aggregation option "5G" which allows the use of 2,5GB port as a wan port.  However it didn’t really improve my wired or wireless speed thorugh the router, so I will reserve that port for my devices that need faster local access.

Message 2 of 6
avtella
Prodigy

Re: RAX120 + Motorola MB8611-10 (2.5gbs). Can I get higher speed via WAN aggregation?

The RAX120 has a 5 Gigabit port, backwards compatible with 2.5 and 1 Gbps link rates. To use it for internet you need to connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the 5 Gigabit port and then in internet settings change the WAN option to the 5 Gbe port. I am able to get ~1.2 Gbe on my Comcast Gigabit plan on the RAX120. 

As for aggregation the 5Gbe and the standard 1 Gbe port I think it would make both ports operate at 1 Gbe.

Message 3 of 6
dma550
Aspirant

Thanks Avtella

So as I wrote above I did that, but even though I get 1.4gbps from my modem direct I am getting a wired 950 max on my 1.2Gbps service from Xfinity.  So the rub I guess is that if I use my 2.5GB port as my wan uplink the other ports are 1GB, which I think is my bottleneck.  My wireless is AX, so I don't think I can ask for anything better than 700MB, so how are you seeing 1.2GB if you're using your port?  Are you using port aggregation of #1+2? 

Message 4 of 6
avtella
Prodigy

I replaced the WiFi adapters inside my Windows laptops with Intel AX210 WiFi cards which can easily reach between 1200-1400 Mbps in LAN/WAN tests with HT160, my MacBook 16" can hit around 900 Mbps as its limited by an older WiFi chipset. Of course having only one Multi-Gig port is a bottleneck as yo can either take advantage of it for internet or LAN but not both simultaneously. Currently I'm using my RAX120 as an Acess Point for my pfSense router, and this way I am able to use the 5 Gbe port for both LAN/WAN use simultaneously.

Message 5 of 6
dma550
Aspirant

ahh thank you!

So now I will fiddle to see if I can get better AX wifi then 😉  Much appreciated.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7