× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 - No Prompt for Admin Password

Asradragon
Aspirant

RAX120 - No Prompt for Admin Password

I have an RAX120 set for AP mode. Everything seems to be working well, but I've noticed one strange thing. I configured an admin password for logging into the configuration page, but every time I access the router config page, it goes straight to the config and doesn't prompt me for a password. This happens on any device on the network (I verified just in case password was stored/cached.) Any ideas on what might be wrong and how to enable admin login requirement?
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

@Asradragon wrote:
...every time I access the router config page, it goes straight to the config and doesn't prompt me for a password.

Access how? An IP address? (That's the usual way into a device in AP mode.)

It may fall into one of the many features mentioned here:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 6
Asradragon
Aspirant

I'm accessing the configuration page via the IP address. I did review the list of disabled features. However, I would imagine that requiring a login for the configuration page, even in AP mode, shouldn't be a disabled feature. I'm trying to determine if this is a bug with the router firmware/interface, or if there is some setting I'm missing that requires an admin login. It wouldn't make sense to allow whoever can connect to the router to be able to access the configuration without an admin password.

Message 3 of 6

Tried a different browser?

Message 4 of 6
Asradragon
Aspirant

Yes. I've tried Mozilla, Chrome, and Edge. They all just go directly to the configuration page with no prompt for login or password. Tried from multiple devices as well.

Message 5 of 6
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I've had this "issue" on multiple Netgear routers/platforms.  For me it's intermittent though and I never know when it will happen.  I've seen it happen to me on my own PC where I'm trying to connect to the admin page and I've previously logged in - but I've also seen it when I browse to the admin page from an entirely new device and it just lets me right in. 

It's why I will never enable remote management.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7