× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 - Remote Management option GONE after V1.2.1.22 ?!

Kyne
Apprentice

RAX120 - Remote Management option GONE after V1.2.1.22 ?!

Yesterday, my RAX120 auto-updated to V1.2.1.22.

I now see that "Remote Management" is gone!

The opton is no longer under 'advanced', but has been replaced by a single option for "Web Service Management" where you can turn https on or off. No other options, NO way to turn off or on or manage remote management.  

What gives? Is this a bug? Intentional? The help text on that option still fully documents the feature. I was am am relying on this. Taking it 'away' is not documented in the patch notes.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

Re: RAX120 - Remote Management option GONE after V1.2.1.22 ?!

Have you tried using HTTPS and see what happens? It may ge a GUI bug or a change in how they do things. Who knows, its as clear as mud. The R7000 has had the same treatment except the rest of the info is there I believe. Maybe when you try to connect from outside your network it becomes more apparent?

Message 2 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

I think this has been changed and now is done via the cloud and you have to use the app.

Message 3 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

or "Whatever's below 'Static Routes'" possibly if the app does not help.
Message 4 of 10
Kyne
Apprentice

Thx for all 3 replies.

The app (latest version) has no way to manipulate remote access and I don't think it ever did.

On the web interface, I can enable HTTPs but it has no real effect as it doesn't turn on or off any remote capability. I.e. I am missing any settings for Ports etc.

If I turn it on, I can't remote into the external IP (on the port I set earlier) anymore (See screenshot)

The help file still talks about all the remote options - it literally seems like Netgear's update is buggy. If they did remove it (why?!) they didn't even make the helpfile reflect that...

Message 5 of 10
Kyne
Apprentice

PS,

static routes: nothing either (other than able to set static IPv4 routes which i have not set)

Message 6 of 10
antinode
Guru

> Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 14.09.25.png

"Local Management" sounds to me as if it means access from the LAN,
not the WAN.  "Always" suggests that checking the box disables HTTP.

Have you tried any experiments with access from the LAN?

I suppose that explict port forwarding (TCP, 192.168.1.1 (or
whatever), ext=8443, int=443) can't be done, either?

It does sound like a new firmware enhancement.  (Netgear puts the
"cement" in "enhancement".)

> [...] they didn't even make the helpfile reflect that...

Perhaps the fine Release Notes are based on the fine built-in
documentation.

Message 7 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

I do belive it can only be turned on and off via the Netgears app for security there has been some cloud updates to the app now . They also changed WPS to a client and it now uses QSS I belive to use your password and there is no longer a pin to turn off.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

Sorry for typos, I meant you have to use the app for security purposes so the function has been removed from the router but remote services included remote management on the app, people turn things on without knowing sometimes what the consequences are, also the app I believe is seen as more secure too. Also Netgera have been hardening things a bit, as mentioned HTTPS would be safer than HTTP so maybe you now need that on for the app to communicate this function.
Message 9 of 10
Kyne
Apprentice

Hey, thanks.

I hear you - I have no issues with HTTPS over HTTP - but the remote acces was always HTTPS only, and on a random port. That's completely gone, so I can't configure it in any way (I had a specific port chosen before).

The app (Nighthawk) has very limited functionality and there is nothing under security unless you subscribe to the optional 'armor' service.

Turning HTTP on under web services doesn't have any noticable effect (since media services and shares are handlled seperately, and secure channel can be turned on or off seperately.

Bottomline, nothing at all enabling remote access via a web interface anymore. Yes, the app works for remote, but again, has maybe 10% of the functionality of the admin interface...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7