× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Router Random Disconnects

rax120_rax80
Apprentice

I'm good with the factory reset, but we need a method to script our changes after the reset since reimporting the config breaks it again. Anyone have any ideas where all the parameters are [in what files(s)] in the filesystem since we can't do it through open APIs? Manually changing them via a script is a million times better than doing it through the GUI. 

Message 76 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

• Note down the important settings, using screenshots, and then reconfigure the router using these screenshots as a reference.
  • Keep a text-based backup of all your settings, and manually restore the important settings by copy and paste
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 77 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

I have a file with my settings, but copy and paste is extremely inefficient when you have a lot of parameter changes. I utilize MAC address filtering and have 75 MACs in my list, which can only be entered one at a time. Moreover, the paste function does not work in the MAC address text box when you add a device, yet paste works for the device name text box. That's odd to say the least and requires addresses to be typed in. Thus, we need a more efficient way of changing our settings outside the GUI. 

Message 78 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

You could try to restore the important settings over SSH/telnet.

Message 79 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

Or just get on with doing it manually, I have 114 devices and it takes me about an hour or so to do the all from scratch, sometines you just have to knuckle down and get on with it to it.Or you could write a NVRAM save/restore utility of course.

Message 80 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

Yeah, that's what I was asking. What files store this information? I can write a script or just VI once I'm in and paste the settings in the config files. 

Message 81 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

Something along these lines maybe?

Options: -h           this help msg
          -v           Print version/perform consistency check
          -b           Backup mode - save for restore to same router (default)
          -m           Migration mode - transfer settings to another router
          -i inifile   Specify custom nvram variable ini file
          -clk         Include clkfreq/overclock setting (Backup mode only)
          -nojffs      Skip backup of jffs storage
          -nouser      Skip execution of user exit script

Message 82 of 233
Topology
Virtuoso

Rax120_rax80, having the ability to export, edit, and import some (or all) of the router’s settings is an excellent suggestion. That capability would not only facilitate restoring a router to a workable state following a factory reset, but would also assist when upgrading from one Netgear router to another. I recommend that you post the suggestion to the Idea Exchange For Home.

P.S.:  Has your RAX120 been running well, since performing the factory reset followed by the manual entry of the router's settings?

Message 83 of 233
gregonometry
Guide

I just posted this in another thread, but thought I'd throw it up here. 

For what it's worth, I think I've found the cause of this on my router. I've had my RAX120 a few months now and haven't had a problem. Like most other posts on the subject my issues started happening early March. I saw another post about firefox switching the default protocol to DNS-over-HTTPS (https://www.computerworld.com/article/3529424/firefox-starts-switching-on-dns-over-https-to-encrypt-...) and tested it using the routers Default DNS server settings. Sure enough, soon after having a couple pages open in Firefox all DNS was broken and thus the 'internets' were unavailable. 

I left the setting enabled in Firefox (and stopped using it for now). I switched my default to Chromium Edge and the network has been solid for 24+ hours vs. the 1-2 hours I was getting. 

Currently my firmware is rolled back to 108 and it's been solid. After another 24 hours I'll go back to 114 with 118 hotfix. My DNS server is set to cloudflare right now.

Curious on anyone else's testing, have you checked for DNS over HTTPS causing your problems? I've not seen a solid list of who uses this or doesn't use it, but I believe I saw a reference that Netflix in Windows will use DoH as well as Firefox. For the time being I'm avoiding both of those as I have 2 people working from home thanks to C-19. Will try to 'break' DNS resolving again this weekend by doing everything in Firefox. 

Message 84 of 233
Topology
Virtuoso

FYI: Readers of this thread may be interested in OpenDNS Prosumer, a product that uses an IPsec tunnel to encrypt DNS traffic for privacy, and blocks malware domains for security. I have used it since installing a RAX120 a few months ago, and have not observed any DNS problems to-date.

Message 85 of 233
kschroed
Star

Yeah OpenDNS is nice but it doesn't help with this problem at all since the problem is in the Router Proxying DNS request. If you happen to be manually setting DNS on your downstream devices you could bypass the issue or if your using DHCP server not on the Netgear you may also bypass this particular problem and configure DNS resolver on your endpoints that is something other than the Router address.... If you don't use the router as your DNS resolver this particular issues would not affect you. 

Message 86 of 233
FiatNox
Aspirant

I did factory reset and the problem returned within the hour.
Message 87 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

Did you import a backup of your configuration? I had the problem return after completing a factory reset and importing my settings from the cfg file I had backed up. 

Message 88 of 233
Dameek
Guide

Earlier yesterday I flashed my router with the beta patch and 24 hrs later I haven't dropped a connection yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed and will update if the router drops the connection again.
Message 89 of 233
FiatNox
Aspirant

Yeah, to clarify, I did a factory reset and then manually reconfigured it. Did not import my config. But DNS dropped again an hour later.
Message 90 of 233
Topology
Virtuoso

FiatNox, just curious: is it possible that you used a browser with DNS-over-HTTPS enabled? Based on messages #64 and #84 in this thread, doing so may have caused the problem to reappear after the factory reset.

Message 91 of 233
gregonometry
Guide

In the time since reconfiguring DNS to cloudflare and disabling DNS-over-HTTPS in browsers I'd say I've had significantly less failures, but I still have the issue. This morning I woke up to the phone saying "Connected, no Internet". Time for coffee and a reboot.

On the plus side I'm only resetting once per day instead of every few hours. It feels more arbitrary than trigger based, but I'm not monitoring packets. We have very few connected devices (generally only 14-16 connected at a given time) and no kids in the house. No IOT devices, no smart home, etc.  

Since I had still had failures on 108 with a clean config (no imported config file) I went ahead and went back up to .114, then the .118 hotfix. I've been stable a few hours since then, but I know deep down it will rear it's ugly head again. 

Good luck everyone!

Message 92 of 233
Sujag1998
Aspirant

Just wanted to give the latest updates:

1. No, I haven’t reset yet and haven’t upgraded to 118 yet.
2. I read an earlier comment about Firefox. One person in my home was using it and stopped. I haven’t had a disconnect yet.
3. Another item to consider is our isp. I was on a Skype call and several in the call lost connection at the same time. I had to reboot the router. Plus, some of those who were disconnected live at least 45 miles from me. With a lot working from home, who knows what changes our providers are making.
Message 93 of 233
Hazeleyez97
Aspirant

I just purchased this and all of a sudden it randomly disconnects and only connects some devices and not the others. Then it will work for awhile once i reboot it then it will do it again extremely frustrating for the cost of this router. You say there is a update firmware beta to fix this problem? If not im returning before my 30 days are up.
Message 94 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@Hazeleyez97 wrote:
I just purchased this and all of a sudden it randomly disconnects and only connects some devices and not the others. Then it will work for awhile once i reboot it then it will do it again extremely frustrating for the cost of this router. You say there is a update firmware beta to fix this problem? If not im returning before my 30 days are up.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120.aspx#download

there is a hot fix here, update via your web UI after downloading it. Afterwards reset the router using the rear pin hole method and setup as new. Do not use a saved config. 
once you have done this monitor the router and remember to check your internet setting is set to always on. 

Message 95 of 233
Dameek
Guide

My router lost Wifi 48 hours after updating firmware. This morning I reset to factory default and will see how long before the next loss of Wifi.
Message 96 of 233
mac21j
Aspirant

I have the same symtoms, opened a tkt 42474491 and am sitting on hold. I'd like the Beta Firmware to try it out. As a workaround I've set DNS server settings to Google DNS Manually on My PC's, iPhones and Kids School chromebooks. to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and everything works. if a network device is pointing to the router it can not get out to the internet. Our Alexa Devices work but I have a hunch they don't use DNS.

Message 97 of 233
mac21j
Aspirant

Actually forgot to mention this occured on both 1.0.1.114 and 1.0.1.118 Firmware

Message 98 of 233
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mac21j, 

Please continue to work with our support team and feel free to update the thread.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 99 of 233
kschroed
Star

Looks like problem came back this morning.   Woke up to kids knocking on my bedroom door.... Internet is out.. Great way to start the day... Did some basic troubleshooting to determine everything off my upstream Modem was working fine and the IP based connectivity was functionaly from everything off my RAX120.  Appeared to be DNS again. Rebooted router and back to working.   So I guess was stable for 2 weeks and problem re-appeared. 

Message 100 of 233
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7