× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Router Random Disconnects

mac21j
Aspirant

My Workaround is to Manually set your devices for DNS. I picked Google DNS which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 This will atleast get you going until they fix the problem. I opened a case BUT sat on the phone for 45mins and was 4th in queue for the entire 45mins so I hung up. I've manually set PC's, iPhone/iPods, Nintendo Switch and Google Chrome books to manual DNS. Haven't had any issues since. Only issue would be new connections

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 101 of 233
kschroed
Star

Yeah I've really been trying to avoid doing it. That is really only a partical fix. Most of the smart devices nest/ring/alexa dont' allow for DNS configuration options. 

Message 102 of 233
mac21j
Aspirant

My Amazon Echo devices never had connectivity issues during this mess. So they must be pointing to their own DNS or not even use DNS.

Message 103 of 233
kschroed
Star

Yeah I had similar observation but my Nest(s) and Ring(s) were offline. 

Message 104 of 233
gregonometry
Guide

Hi all,

After another spontaneous reboot, I tried something a little different. First, I re-updated to 118 Firmware and reconfigured everything manually, got it how I wanted, but I still couldn't get Then I went back in and changed a setting I hadn't bothered with in a few years, but I remembered setting it on my previous personal router. 

I'm on Centurylink Fiber and I'm using a PPPoE connection. My RAX120 is a router connected directly (via Cat8) to the fiber modem. So if your settings are different, then this may not work for you or you may have a different value. Before you do this make note of the current setting in case you need to revert

I logged in and went to:

-Advanced->Advanced Setup->VLAN/Bridge Settings

-Check By VLAN Tag Group

-Enable and Changed my VLAN ID to 201 for all wired and wireless ports.

My network instantly reconnected all devices on wired and wireless. Today I've had 2 VPN's connected for 2 people for 8 hours to their respective workplaces, 2 separate audio streams running on separate speakers (with their own IP) all day and 1 video stream (on main TV) with live news updates and nothing has dropped. 

Message 105 of 233
gregonometry
Guide

Direct reply to my last message, 3 days uptime, no more drops! 

@gregonometry wrote:

Hi all,

After another spontaneous reboot, I tried something a little different. First, I re-updated to 118 Firmware and reconfigured everything manually, got it how I wanted, but I still couldn't get Then I went back in and changed a setting I hadn't bothered with in a few years, but I remembered setting it on my previous personal router. 

I'm on Centurylink Fiber and I'm using a PPPoE connection. My RAX120 is a router connected directly (via Cat8) to the fiber modem. So if your settings are different, then this may not work for you or you may have a different value. Before you do this make note of the current setting in case you need to revert

I logged in and went to:

-Advanced->Advanced Setup->VLAN/Bridge Settings

-Check By VLAN Tag Group

-Enable and Changed my VLAN ID to 201 for all wired and wireless ports.

My network instantly reconnected all devices on wired and wireless. Today I've had 2 VPN's connected for 2 people for 8 hours to their respective workplaces, 2 separate audio streams running on separate speakers (with their own IP) all day and 1 video stream (on main TV) with live news updates and nothing has dropped. 

Message 106 of 233
dcinca
Apprentice

I had this problem. but now it's working good. Here are what I did:

1.Upgrade to .118, reset and then setup router 

2.Unplug any thing from USB ports (Critical bug for 2.4G, maybe design fault)

3.Don't use HT160 for 5G (Critical bug for 5G)

4.Enable AX,(lower the ping for 1-3ms)

by the way, 30-30-30 is not working for Rax120, the router won't boot up When I did 30-30-30, That scared me. I thought it's bricked. When I tried to press the reset buttom for 7 sec again, then the router is back without losing any configuration... that's weird.

Message 107 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@dcinca wrote:

I had this problem. but now it's working good. Here are what I did:

1.Upgrade to .118, reset and then setup router 

2.Unplug any thing from USB ports (Critical bug for 2.4G, maybe design fault)

3.Don't use HT160 for 5G (Critical bug for 5G)

4.Enable AX,(lower the ping for 1-3ms)

by the way, 30-30-30 is not working for Rax120, the router won't boot up When I did 30-30-30, That scared me. I thought it's bricked. When I tried to press the reset buttom for 7 sec again, then the router is back without losing any configuration... that's weird.

30.30.30 is no longer needed on modern routers, if anything you will corrupt the memory. 

Message 108 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@kschroed wrote:

Exactly this issue. Only started yesterday. Router about 6 weeks old.

Multiple reboots/resets/firmware 115/118 with/without CTS 2303.

All no difference.

DNS was already set to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1.

Some wired devices not connecting to internet at all (so not just wireless any more)

Plugged in old router and within 2 min all working perfectly.

Already have 2 support tickets open for wifi speed dropping and multigig port not working.

Told them I want a refund now. More than prepared to use UK small claims court online if needed.

Message 109 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@powellandy1 wrote:

@kschroed wrote:

Exactly this issue. Only started yesterday. Router about 6 weeks old.

Multiple reboots/resets/firmware 115/118 with/without CTS 2303.

All no difference.

DNS was already set to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1.

Some wired devices not connecting to internet at all (so not just wireless any more)

Plugged in old router and within 2 min all working perfectly.

Already have 2 support tickets open for wifi speed dropping and multigig port not working.

Told them I want a refund now. More than prepared to use UK small claims court online if needed.

What's your isp?

Message 110 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Sky fibre in the UK.

Connection via a sky fibre modem. I use DMZ in the modem to pass to the router.

Connection speed about 25Mbit/s

Message 111 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Which Sky router have you got? 
Dhcp option 61 

Vlan is 101

How did you put the modem in DMZ? 

Message 112 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Dhcp option 61 

Vlan is 101

Sky router is ER110.

Don't need those options I don't think

In sky modem/router - Advanced -> WAN Setup -> check Default DMZ server and use IP 192.168.0.254

In router -> Internet -> Static IP -> 192.168.0.254

Cable between any ethernet port of the sky router and the internet port on the router

Message 113 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@powellandy1 wrote:

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Dhcp option 61 

Vlan is 101

Sky router is ER110.

Don't need those options I don't think

In sky modem/router - Advanced -> WAN Setup -> check Default DMZ server and use IP 192.168.0.254

In router -> Internet -> Static IP -> 192.168.0.254

Cable between any ethernet port of the sky router and the internet port on the router

Should also say sky modem/router is set up as 192.168.0.1 which I think is deafult.

Gateway in main router for internet is 192.168.0.1

Otherwise main router is DCHP 192.168.1.1

Message 114 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

Just notioced two of your Netgear devices are EOL so new new firmware which may cause issue with bleeding edge devices, also you generally should not use the home router's DMZ function at all if you can avoid it. ... Being a DMZ host means that it will have all its ports open and respond to internet queries and pings, not good.

Message 115 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@Killhippie wrote:

Just notioced two of your Netgear devices are EOL so new new firmware which may cause issue with bleeding edge devices, also you generally should not use the home router's DMZ function at all if you can avoid it. ... Being a DMZ host means that it will have all its ports open and respond to internet queries and pings, not good.

The issue here isn't with the NASes. It's the rubbish RAX120. All issues described go away when C3150 is substituted.

Regarding DMZ I don't think you are right - I think all that happens is that the internet traffic passes straight though the sky router as though it wasn't there (nothing is connected to it at all other than the router) and the main router handles secuirty.

Scanning with grc.com Sheilds Up! shows all ports stealth. Scanning here https://pentest-tools.com/network-vulnerability-scanning/tcp-port-scanner-online-nmap# shows doesn't respond to ping and no open ports (can enable/disable ping response in the sky router)

Message 116 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

I would have thought you are in a double NAT situation possibly. I would aim to find a modem to use and a router as Sky allow you to use your own modem and router but the router must connect to the internet via DHCP passing a client ID via DHCP option 61.

Message 117 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Possibly - but the point is this setup worked for 2 years with the C3150 and whatever router I had before that (DIR-868 I think). It worked for the first month with the RAX120 and issues occured yesterday. After multiple reboots/firmware flashes/resets simply putting the C3150 back in resolved everything!

Message 118 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

Have you got AX gear? Otherwise there is no real advantage to using this router at all really you may as well stay with a AC device, if the RAX120 does not support option 61 it wont work. Bearing in mind how new this router is its always best to check specs.

Message 119 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

Shileds up is testing the RAX120 not your other router which has its TCP and UDP ports wide open. https://www.quora.com/What-happens-when-you-put-your-router-in-DMZ-mode

Message 120 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Killhippie is correct. Your sky router is wide open, DMZ should be avoided.

Your issue is the Sky router, option 61 is what's required for Sky I believe so it's all a bit mess as it is. 
Are you able to remove the Sky router and replace it with a modem only? 

Message 121 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@Killhippie wrote:

Have you got AX gear? Otherwise there is no real advantage to using this router at all really you may as well stay with a AC device, if the RAX120 does not support option 61 it wont work. Bearing in mind how new this router is its always best to check specs.

Thanks Hillhippie. Yes I do have AX gear, that's why I got it. And I use the DMZ option so I don't need to find one of the few routers with MER/DCHP 61 support. Anyway, checked on Amazon and thankfully they've extended the returns window so it's going back!

Message 122 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@powellandy1 wrote:

@Killhippie wrote:

Thanks Hillhippie. Yes I do have AX gear, that's why I got it. And I use the DMZ option so I don't need to find one of the few routers with MER/DCHP 61 support. Anyway, checked on Amazon and thankfully they've extended the returns window so it's going back!

Apologies for misspelling your name.

Message 123 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Thanks. This setup has worked for years and allowed me to use the sky router (so if I have broadband issues sky will still support) but also allows me to use more up-to-date router for everything else.

If Sky router is wide open - so what - all it does is pass traffic to the main router. There is nothing at all connected to it - wired or wireless (the latter is turned off) and as I said - trying to ping my ip address or access ports from the internet seems not to be possible.

Message 124 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

AX routers are newish and I don't think NG support 61 on AX range but I might be wrong hence your issues and that could change. Many AC routers do though.

how about the R7800 which does support option 61 and that's a mighty good router and you also have some great third party software. Great WiFi, well known router and price is good.

Message 125 of 233
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7