× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Router Random Disconnects

Killhippie
Prodigy

Okay bit confused what do you mean "latter is turned off" If you mean the sky router is turned off what are you using as a modem? The RAX120 doesnt have a modem built in one and I dont think it has option 60 or 61 from looking in my RAX120's menu. So how are you connecting to sky with no modem? Or do you mean the sky router is actually on and in in the DMZ? Also if the Sky router has its ports open it can be attacked and possibly compromised which would allow access to whatever is downstream ie RAX120 and your LAN. If ive got this wrong, sorry and can you quantify the topgoraphy of your network please.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 126 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@Killhippie wrote:

Okay bit confused what do you mean "latter is turned off" If you mean the sky router is turned off what are you using as a modem? The RAX120 doesnt have a modem built in one and I dont think it has option 60 or 61 from looking in my RAX120's menu. So how are you connecting to sky with no modem? Or do you mean the sky router is actually on and in in the DMZ? Also if the Sky router has its ports open it can be attacked and possibly compromised which would allow access to whatever is downstream ie RAX120 and your LAN. If ive got this wrong, sorry and can you quantify the topgoraphy of your network please.

Internet -> BT ADSL Socket -> RJ12 cable -> Sky ER110 Fibre router 192.168.0.1 (with DMZ ticked 192.168.0.254) -> LAN Port 1 of Sky to Internet Port on RAX 120 (or other router) via RJ45 cat 6 cable -> RAX120 (now TPLink C3150) 192.168.1.1 -> Internet as static IP 192.168.0.254, gateway 192.168.0.1, mask 255.255.255.0

Does that help?

Message 127 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@Killhippie wrote:

Sorry - 'latter' meant wifi turned off. The wifi on the sky router is turned off and no other devices are connected other than the RX120. The sky router is on acting as a modem.

Message 128 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's acting as a router not a modem. All you have done is disabled the WiFi. 
DHCP server is still active. 

Message 129 of 233
powellandy1
Virtuoso

@Newfiedrool wrote:

It's acting as a router not a modem. All you have done is disabled the WiFi. 
DHCP server is still active. 

It is acting as a modem as well - the RAX120 (nor C3150) doesn't have a VDSL modem.

Yes it would act as a DHCP server if anything was actually connected to it - but there isn't anything. Everything is connected to the RAX120/C3150.

Message 130 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It is on, you have a firewall on the Sky router too and it's not acting like a modem.

It's the active connection to your internet and every port is open. Password, login it's all there.

you have 2 routers in line. 
you have DMZ which leaves your sky open. 
The 120 was simply the wrong router choice with your setup. Remove the sky and put a modem in its place or you need another router with the correct option.

Message 131 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

There's so much going on these days, that I haven't posted in a while. Anyway, my udpate is the router has been running for a few weeks now and it has been stable. The fix that worked for me is a PITA, but simple. Factory reset your router and manually change the settings to match what they were previously.

FWIW, I'm still going to move to another vendor when something that intrigues me comes out. This is strictly due to the lack of Netgear support. 90 days of support is abysmal and there are competitors that have longer support terms. Also, when I worked with support for another issue during the 90 days, level 1 was useless and escalation was difficult to say the least. I've had better experiance with both Asus and TP-Link support in the past. Anyway, good luck folks. 

Message 132 of 233
erikkellison
Aspirant

OK, so I have a ticket open with Netgear as well (42483200), for what appears to be this very issue. I am not as tech savvy as most of you, but I do know that my loss of connectivity is similar in nature to what is described by numerous others here. I also note that Windows tells me that when my internet is down, it is a DNS issue. I have isolated the connectivity issues to the router, and a router reboot (via app) always fixes issue, temporarily.

I recently upgraded my internet to Xfinity Gigabit, have a Netgear CM1100 modem connected to the RAX120, firmware 1.0.1.118. I am merely a home user who likes fast internet, and the ability to stream video on multiple devices while simultaneously performing other tasks. We have a variety of devices, including light switches, wall switches, desktop, laptops, iPhones, iPads, Chromecast, and Ring.

Now that I see that this is a pervasive issue with this router, and the unwillingness of Netgear to fix the issue, or even respond to direct questions within this thread, I'm here to ask:

What router do I get in it's place? I'm well within my return timeframe, and the support I've received from Netgear is quite lacking ("24/7 support" apparently means "wait on hold for our 1 customer representative; it may be many hours). I've been using email support instead, which is laborious and choked by inherent delays. I want a router that broadcasts far enough so that I don't lose signal from one end of the house (where the router is) to the other end (our bedroom). I want something that is as future proof as is feasible, within reason. The broadcast distance of the RAX120 is sufficient, and I thought I had a forward-looking router... but it doesn't even work.

Thank you.

Message 133 of 233
Crippste
Aspirant

I have the cactus same issue sun this morning, could it be a problem with the recent time change to BST?
Message 134 of 233
bamcgregor89
Aspirant

I wanted to throw out that my RAX120 has started having issues proxying DNS as well. Started last night when it stopped sending traffic to my Pi-Hole for resolution. Nslookup queries to router would return no response, while queries directly to the Pi-Hole would return expected results. Reboots get it going again for a bit, but it eventually drops out after a while.

Router DNS was changed to public servers (Quad 9, Cloudflare, and Google) and was updated to latest public firmware (v1.0.1.118) with no improvements - DNS resolution stopped sometime this morning again.

I currently have a workaround (Pi-Hole is now running DHCP for my network so devices can pick up functioning DNS settings automatically), so I'm not looking for a fix, but I want to make it known to Netgear that this is indeed an issue. FFS, if I wasn't tech savvy I'd be dead in the water having to reboot the router every few hours.

If nothing else, allow users to bypass the stupid DNS proxy and push the actual DNS servers to devices over DHCP. At least the option would allow everyone here to get back to working order.

Message 135 of 233
a3gill
Aspirant

Same issue on and off for me, too.

To be clear, the problem is that DNS Relay is failing, right? I can manually assign ISP DNS to clients and all is well (or, as mentioned, configure an alternate DHCP Server/DNS Relay Server).

My experience...:

- First noticed it with 1.0.1.114.

- Applied 1.0.1.118 hotfix and neither better nor worse.

- Rolled back to 1.0.1.108 and all was well.

- Applied public release of 1.0.1.118 and no issues for days, perhaps weeks.

- Configured and applied an Upstream QOS policy and rebooted. Now, this evening, I've lost DNS resolution via RAX120 DHCP twice.

- Currently: I removed the QOS and it ran fine for a few hours, no issues and just now re-applied the QOS.

So far so good. We'll see. If it craps out again I have my config backup and FW 1.0.1.108 ready to go if need be. Fingers-crossed 🙂

Thanks!

Message 136 of 233
a3gill
Aspirant

@a3gill wrote:

- Configured and applied an Upstream QOS policy and rebooted. Now, this evening, I've lost DNS resolution via RAX120 DHCP twice.

I wasn't very clear... Within an hour of enabling QOS, the issue re-appeared, and then again shortly after.

Thanks!

Message 137 of 233
Conceptual23
Aspirant

I'm experiencing simlar issues.  Where might I get my hands on this beta firmware?

Message 138 of 233
machie27
Initiate

Hi,

I too have the same problem. I use the Cloudflare Dns service 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and after a period of time the router doesn't seem to handle the dns resolving very well. I get a dns resolving error on all of my devices. A change of dns servers or a new apply does go well for a while and after that I get the dns errors again. Where can I get the beta? 

Kind regards,

Stephen

Message 139 of 233
a3gill
Aspirant

@Conceptual23 wrote:

I'm experiencing simlar issues.  Where might I get my hands on this beta firmware?

When I got it, it was from Netgear. There was a link for "beta" next to the other current firmware offerings. Since the full, public release of 1.0.1.118, it has disapeeared.

-Sorry

Message 140 of 233
sditt
Tutor

Just to throw my hat in the ring, I've been having the same issues as you all since upgrading the FW to hotfix 118.  I'm well outside of my return window and it's been stable for many months, so I've been happy wth it until this random dead DNS jazz started happening.

I dropped back to 114, but it looks like people are having the same issue there, so I may be dropping back to 108 if I reoccurs anytime soon.  I can't afford to have these petty issues now of all times, when my wife and I are both working from home on teleconferences etc all day during the pandemic shut in.

The most annoying thing is that this issue crept up within 12 hours of installing 118, so Netgear's testing process must be crap.  I guess as long as it boots up they consider it ready to ship.  This device was probably the most expensive router on the consumer side of the market and practically cost half a mortgage payment; it should be nothing less than rock solid.

Message 141 of 233
a3gill
Aspirant

I'm doing an experiment that's worked well so far -- he said with hubris... 🙂

Running 118, I made note of the current settings (in notepad, excel, etc.), reset to default, and then applied all the settings manually as if it were brand new. After loses DNS 4 times in the 2 hours before this, now I've gone 12+ hours with no issues.

We'll see. I'll report back.

Thanks!

Message 142 of 233
Kicks10
Guide

@rax120_rax80 wrote:

There's so much going on these days, that I haven't posted in a while. Anyway, my udpate is the router has been running for a few weeks now and it has been stable. The fix that worked for me is a PITA, but simple. Factory reset your router and manually change the settings to match what they were previously.

FWIW, I'm still going to move to another vendor when something that intrigues me comes out. This is strictly due to the lack of Netgear support. 90 days of support is abysmal and there are competitors that have longer support terms. Also, when I worked with support for another issue during the 90 days, level 1 was useless and escalation was difficult to say the least. I've had better experiance with both Asus and TP-Link support in the past. Anyway, good luck folks. 

I have to agree with everything you said here. I started the same discussion in another post (didn't see your post) with the same issues. There are several people there with the same problem. I've been stable now for a week and a half after factory reset and reconfiguring my settings. I came from ASUS where I was happy for a few years but one day that router reset button broke so I bought this Netgear router as a replacement. I was dissappointed to say the least in the 90 day support from Netgear. Also using the community to test Netgear product updates and then charging people for service calls is ridiculous.

Based on the number of people on these two threads, its clear this is more then just an isolated incident. I'm waiting to hear something from Netgear but I might not want to hold my breath. 

Message 143 of 233
erikkellison
Aspirant

Seriously, what router do I get? Customer support just told me to reset my router as if that would resolve the DNS issue.

• Linksys Mesh (which one?)
  • TP-Link? (which?)
Message 144 of 233

FW 118, router randomly disconnected, had to reboot the router.

It is completely disappointed for a high price router like RAX 120.

When will netgear release a 'real' fix for this?

This is not the first time. 

Message 145 of 233
sditt
Tutor

Well, it's been a bit over 48 hrs since I went back to the 114 driver and so far so good...no restarts needed, knock on wood.  The only other thing I did was disable the traffic monitor because it didnt look like it was actually logging any activity.  I had enabled that sometime this past weekend out of curiosity for how much data we would be blowing through during the shut in.  I wonder if anyone else on this thread also has that enabled?  Not sure if/why/how that could relate to what was clearly a DNS issue at the root of it all, but... just an observation.

Message 146 of 233
sditt
Tutor

Also, I discovered the URL to download the 118 BETA that some people were talking about earlier in this thread...don't know if anyone else already posted it since the thread was long and I skipped a few pages in the middle, but if anyone wanted to try it here it is:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX120/RAX120-V1.0.1.118_BETA.zip 

FYI the modified date of the img file within the zip is 2/21/20 where as the 118 modified date of the official img file is 3/25/20.

Message 147 of 233
machie27
Initiate

As others also mentioned, what also did work, was a factory reset and complete input your settings from scratch(manually). This also worked for me, 36h and counting..

Message 148 of 233

Already reset it on 4/2
Will see if this fix the problem later.
Message 149 of 233
Topology
Virtuoso

Sditt, FYI: While the date of the .IMG file for the RAX120 1.0.1.118 firmware has changed, the 21 FEB and 25 MAR 2020 versions are byte-for-byte identical.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 150 of 233
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7