× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Router Random Disconnects

robertoselmi
Tutor

I experience, on my RAX120 router, continuous wireless disconnection problems, both at 2.5GHz and at 5GHz, of performance and sometimes even drops in internet connectivity. I have had the router for two months now and it is getting worse. Any solution or firmware update to solve? I have the V1.0.1.122.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 201 of 233
JayTG123
Star

@robertoselmi Hello, really strange... I was experencing the same issues with my RAX80... luckily where it was still in warranty I sent it back to the store I purchased from for a full refund. I then purchased a RAX120 which was almost double what I paid for the original RAX80 but I know this doesnt help you but once I set up the RAX120 I have had no issues what so ever? I dont think Netgear really know other than to send you a replacement router and just try again. I am running firmware version V1.0.1.122 since last month when I purchased and no disconnections at all.

I would suggest contacting Netgear Support in the first instance... I was getting very frustrated with continuous disconnections especially as I am working from home and have been for the past 4 months now.

Good luck!

Jay

Message 202 of 233
dj2819
Apprentice

I think it ultimatly has to do with the type of network you have (devices, interference, etc) and if the RAX series agrees with it. I had 2 different RAX120s and both had the same exact issues so I don't think its a bad device. I really wish someone of the community would help. The forum posts for mesh unit disconnects had a Netgear moderator finally show up as ask for users with issues to direct message them to get their issue escalated. Wonder when (if ever) this post will get some of that attention.

Meanwhile I can't stop recommending the Alien router. It works great and their community is watched by engineers from the Ubiquiti team. Really nice to have a product where they take their customers seriously.

Message 203 of 233
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

Yeah the Alien router is no joke. Just got 4 of the to get all my devices hardwired in every room. It has a feature where you can toggle Ethernet backhaul and connect them that way ( I am using MOCA setup to do that) and showing 940 mbps in every room hardwired. The only downside to the Alien is there is no WAN or LAN aggregation so 1 gig is the max you can get but it is a slick router. RAX 120 is still good. Hard to part ways with it.
Message 204 of 233
X0NR8
Aspirant

Ever since the firmware update on my router it has been shutting down every 3 hours and now I'm unable to use any ethernet ports on it also. This is the third replacement I have had, I don't understand how much worse it could get. For a router that is so high priced and no support just blows my mind. I have factory reset and rebooted so many times I don't even get to use my internet. When i do speed test it just sticks and then shoots up to 300 back down to 12 stops for 3 secs and shoots back up. Why hasnt there been an update to this?

Message 205 of 233
tikicoder
Tutor

V1.0.1.122

There are certian apps and site that no longer seem to let me connect on WiFi since I got this router.  It is highly disappointing.

I have finally figured out the issue I am facing.  In the advanced tab under WAN setup I checked the box to disable port scan and DoS protection.  I then checked the logs to make sure nothing was being added.  I tried to log into Pokemon Go and it worked without issue.  

I enabled it and it still seemed to work without issue. 

I restarted the router, and started to have the similar issue.  Once I disabled the Port Scan and DoS protection things worked again. I have it enabled, and I see things in the logs.  So I am presuming it is working.  I think the Scanner is over zealous.  My chrome cast audio is doing Dos Attack: IP Spoofing.  The Chrome cast audio only streams music, so I have no idea why its reporting this.  Along with my brand new Google Nest Mini, Google home, and all of my chrome casts. IT would be nice if the Logs included a Destination.   Then a simple fix would be if there was a way to allow it.

So I am not sure which issue is causing the problem but it is horrible, that a router this expensive has these issues.  I had the R7000 before this and it was awsome.  As it aged I did install DD-WRT.  Now all I want is the R7000 back with DD-WRT.  

So right now my options are disabled the Protection and then hope when I enable it, it is really working as expected, or not have the router work as expected.

If support would like to talk about it I would be more than happy to go over it.

(Side note why does it take such a long time to restart)   

Message 206 of 233
robertoselmi
Tutor

I also went from R7000 to RAX120, before everything was perfect, now it's a disappointment. I changed to switch to Wifi6, but the result, given the expense, is unsatisfactory. In all this, seeing that none of Netgear intervenes in this discussion to support a solution leaves me dumbfounded.
Message 207 of 233

@tikicoder wrote:

If support would like to talk about it I would be more than happy to go over it.

For a start, this isn't the place so get official support.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

If you do want help from other users, don't join in on the end of a conversation that has been going on for nearly six months (>200 messages and counting). start a new discussion with as much detail as possible.

Message 208 of 233
tikicoder
Tutor

FYI I did submit a ticket, please do not assume I haven't.  It also would be very bad for support not to monitor the thread especially long ones like this as there is obviously an issue.  They are hosting this community for a reason, and if they choose not to use it for what it is shame on them.  If they are not using it as a tool to provide their internal team with insight, why not just send people to StackOverflow.  I will leave it at that.

As far as making a new discussion, typically that adds noise why have 100 different discussion about the same thing.  Eventually it will get solved and 1 thread makes it easier to get the answer.  I was more posting what appears to have fixed my issue. as well.  Then you get threads posting to threads and no one knows where anything is.  Its easy to presume that if a new message is added that it is probably adding more information or a solution minus some noise but typically the last pages (1-3) always contain the answer once there is one.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 209 of 233
dj2819
Apprentice

I have to agree with @tikicoder. I spent a month trying to debug this issue and isolate the problem. Then I was forced to give up without a solution and contact support. After 4 of my tickets got closed (one was even escalated and closed without any input or response) I gave up and switched to the Ubiquiti Alien Router. If you just go to https://community.amplifi.com you will see how nice of a community they have with engineers responding to threads and posts.

Netgear has gotton too big to care about its users. They know if they pump out a product people will buy and they will make money. Sucks because I been loyal to Netgear for over 10 years and this is the state of affairs. Its not just this product. There are threads for the MR60 that I been watching with similar issues to us with the RAX120 and no help.

Message 210 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

I have the same problem with internet connection for past few months or so, particularly after updating to newest firmware .122

The wireless connection to router still persist with all devices, but no internet connection is detected, and it happened every few days or once a week, All I had to do is physically power off/on the router and it is back to work again. Remotely reboot the router does not work but make the router more laggy with no internet connection or very slow internet speed.

Of note, th 2.4g wireless band only carry signal with max speed at 50-60 Mbps, either uploading or downloading. This really is the default problem with RAX120, even before the newest firmware update

Message 211 of 233
tikicoder
Tutor

I Can tell you this is what I had to do.  Backup my current settings, do a hard reset. Roobot. Reinstall the latest firmware probably reboot, and then restore the settings.

After a couple days my issue seemed to go away.

Message 212 of 233
robertoselmi
Tutor

I just tried your solution too, fingers crossed.

Message 213 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Just updated to version 1.0.1.128 through Netgear Nighthawk Android app successfully but only after physically powering off/on the router. It has been about half an hour and so far stable. The update is available only through Netgear Nighthawk app. I have not seen the updated .128 firmware posted on the support Netgear site yet, hopefully soon.
Will keep you update.

Message 214 of 233
tikicoder
Tutor

Keep us posted. I just check no updates still only .122.
Message 215 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Will do , particularly the issues of frequent internet disconnection and/or internet speed dropping.
I'm also I terested in how they improve the DoS attacks documentation in the router's log. And whether the Readycloud issue is resolved..
Message 216 of 233
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 217 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Thanks for the link
Terry
Message 218 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Do you know what issues/improvements were fixing/included in this update?
Message 219 of 233
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 220 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Readycloud router connection to portal is NOT working with new fw 1.0.1.128.
Devices list now includes connection speeds for most devices. Some networked devices are still listed without listing connection speed.
Internet speeds seems to be with little improvement.
So far no drop of internet connection yet. This usually happens once or twice a weeks with older fw version.
I need Netgear to verify the fix for Readycloud. It is surely not working.
Wonder if I have to hard reset the router and manually configure it again?
A this time, I'm inclined not to do so, to see if the automatic updating works at least stable in internet connection or not.
Best
Terry
Message 221 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Ready cloud not working. See attached
Message 222 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Readycloud app not working/not connecting to router
Message 223 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Addendum.
After few hours with newest firmware 1.0.1.128, the Readycloud feature starts working again, but with mediocre speeds.
Folfers and files shared connected drives are accessible and seen and ready for downloading. Direct streaming of media in the USB drives through Readycloud is not supported in this rour's firmware.
So far internet connection is good, but the 2.4G band always connect with much reduced internet speed (max. around 50 mbps downloading for ISP speed of 400 mbps. That has been the case throughout since the router existence... 😔.
We will see if I don't have to reboot the router every week...
Cross our fingers..
Terry
Message 224 of 233
robertoselmi
Tutor

Where you find the link pf this new firmware?

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports the ISP profile menu, which includes ISPs from Europe and Asia
  • Supports Orange France IPTV
  • Supports Singapore Singtel IPTV
  • Supports the time zone auto detection feature

Bug Fixes:

• Improves the stability of NETGEAR Armor
  • Fixes the issue where the router is unable to access the USB device using the ReadyCLOUD portal
  • Fixes the issue where the Nighthawk app does not display devices in attached device list
  • Fixes some minor issues in the router web interface

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues
Message 225 of 233
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7